amal

I need a pic for kalentika with hummus

18 posts in this topic

If anybody has made this and has pictures of it (or wants to make it and take pictures) I'd appreciate it. I have looked all over the web and can't find any decent pictures of this dish.

thanks

Amal

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Nobody has a pic? HMMMMM what should I do.....

Interview-December 2005

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

I've searched in every search engine I can think of but can't seem to find any pictures of it. grrrrrrrrrrr

Interview-December 2005

IT's supposed to be like a hummus stuffed bread "type" thing... I've just had no luck... Thanks a bunch for trying though :)

I may have to make it at home and take pictures of it....

Interview-December 2005

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

amal. check both your emails, i found a pic. i don't know if it what u r looking for

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

i'm fairly sure it's the right one but i gotta check it against the recipe to make sure! It's a great pic too..thanks!

Interview-December 2005

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
If anybody has made this and has pictures of it (or wants to make it and take pictures) I'd appreciate it. I have looked all over the web and can't find any decent pictures of this dish.

thanks

Amal

My hubby loves hummus, please forward the recipe incase you have it.

I've got a recipe for hummus in the cookbook but don't have it at my work computer. i'll have to see if i have it online or not. if not, i'm sure some of the girls here have it. I don't remember if it is in the sultans kitchen thread or not.

Interview-December 2005

ok, seriously, i just drooled... and convulsed..... those look scrum diddley umptious!!!!!

Interview-December 2005

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
That does look yummy. What origin is it?

There is several recipes and methods of making Kalentika and this is a version of it that Henia posted in Sultan's kitchen way back in 2007. It is a culinary specialty of Oran, Algeria

Meriem (F)

Kalentika (Unlike the Calentica chickpea pie of Tanger and Gibralter)

I had this in Oran and it was fab!!!

1 cup warm water (100 degrees)

1 package dry yeast

1 tablespoon sugar

3 cups flour (AP or fine semolina or a combination of both)

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup olive oil

1 tablespoon of smen or butter

extra flour for dusting

Method:

1. Place the water in a large mixing bowl, add sugar and stir untill it has dissolved.

2. Add the yeast, let sit for about 5-10 minutes. A creamy foam should appear on the surface of the water.

3. Add the flour, salt, olive oil and smen to the proofed yeast. Begin incorporating the ingredients by stirring. When the mixture comes together in a pliable mass place the dough on a lightly floured surface to begin kneading.

4. Form the dough into a flattened ball. Fold the edge opposite of you in half towards your body. Knead the dough with the bottom of your palms away from your away.

5. Turn the dough in quarters, repeat the fold and knead (dust the work surface with flour as necessary) untill the dough is smooth. This will take approximately 15-20 minutes.

6. Form the dough into a ball, place into a large bowl and coat lightly with oil. Cover with plastic, let rest untill double in bulk. This will take about 1 hour at 75-80 degrees. I wouldn't get a barometer to measure temperatures though. Depending on the weather place the dough in a warmer or cooler place in the kitchen.

7. Punch the dough down.

Hummus stuffing for Kalentika

Ingredients:

1. 1/2 cups cooked chicke peas.

2. 1 clove of garlic, finely minced

3. 1/2 tablespoon of ground cumin

4. Salt and Pepper to taste

5. 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil

Method:

1. Gently mash the chick peas with a fork, add the remaining ingredients, mix well and adjust seasoning to taste.

2. Divide dough into 12 balls.

3. Roll out the balls into 1/4" thick circles.

4. Evenly spread 2 tablespoons of the hummus on 6 six of the disks. Leave 1/2" along the edge clean.

5. Place the remaining disks on top of the disks that have been spread with hummus and gently seal the edges with your fingers.

6. Cook the stuffed dough in a non-stick skillet on medium heat untill golden brown.

There is an alternative method for Kalentica. The seasoned chickpeas are incorporated into the dough before it is let to rise. Traditionally it would have been cooked in a skillet, but nowadays alot of Algerians have access to ovens. Brush a 14" cakepan with olive oil and form the dough inside. Brush the top with olive oil, bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, depending on your oven

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.