swoozygirl

How to go on...

25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
He is flying to go back home this wednesday. I am really having a hard time with it. I am trying to stay strong. He has been in the U.S for one year. I am looking for some advice on how other couples make it work?

You make it work by reminding yourself what your options are. When I would cry to the point of vomiting on goodbye days. When I wouild wake up in the morning and for just a second, forget that he wasn't there, just to have the realization crash down on me again. When I would go once again to "family" functions at my daughter's school, or at my job, and I was the only single woman around. When I was counting, months, then weeks, then days, then hours, finally minutes until I could touch him again. When I would have these rages and just want to scream and throw something and yell that I want OFF the emotional roller roaster my life had become.

I like to deal with things logically usually, and logic told me, I could put up with it and get through somehow, or I could give up and lose the best thing that ever came into my life. I had to remind myself of those 2 options SO many times, but I can't even imagine life without him a part of it everyday, and I feel quite ill if I try to think about it. We all make choices, we chose this journey with the good AND the bad, and just remind yourself...someday...it will be worth it.

Some people on here like to post in these kinds of threads things along the lines of "get over it, time will pass quickly, you are almost done be thankful you are not so-and-so" I don't find those kind of comments helpful at all, more like a slap in the face. Reality is defined by the person experiencing it, and though I'm glad some people sailed through this with hardly a bother, I have hated every second of the waiting and I have done it kicking and screaming and b!+@=!$@. It's like childbirth, it hurts like hell and sometimes you think you would give almost anything to just have it over, but at the end you have a wonderful person in your life, and it changes everything.

Spring 2006 ~ Met in World of Warcraft

5/07~ Fell in Love

5/29/07 ~ Officially a couple

9/15//07-09/22/07 ~ His first visit

12/29/07 - 1/12/08 ~ His second visit

4/25/08 - 5/5/08 ~ His third visit

5/4/08 ~ Engaged !

8/30/08 ~ 9/6/08 ~ His fourth visit

12/23/08 ~ 01/17/09 ~ His fifth visit

01/06/09 ~ K-1 finally filed!!!!

01/12/09 ~ NOA1

04/10/09 ~ 5 days in London, then 10 days with the in-laws to be in France!

04/25/09 ~ Back home...waiting...

05/28/09 ~ NOA2

08/04/09 ~ Medical

08/11/09 ~ Interview!! ~ APPROVED!!

08/23/09 ~ POE Phillie

10/10/09 ~ Wedding!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

For us, we tried to see eachother every 2 month starting the beginning of our relationship. Then, it really got really costly... all the money i saved up to buy a house basically went into flight and hotels and phone bills. Thankfully, he proposed and we started our K1 visa process... we saw eachother in March again but its been 4 months since.... Its really difficult... We make it work by talking on the phone. I would purchase phone cards and he would call me on his internet phone from home.

I kept a small diary of my ups and downs of my emotions being apart from him for 4 month.. i think its something nice to reflect back to - seeing how strong our love can be-

I totally know what your going through, another reason we didn't want to see eachother until he actually moves to LA is because we don't want the sad goodbyes at airports anymore. We would both cry and then the next few days after is basically hell....

I say, start planning for the future. Planning and looking forward to the future is the motivation to be happier & hopeful.

Timeline:

2/18/2009: Mailed I-129F Form

2/20/2009: NOA 1 Receipt Date

3/20/2009: NOA 2 Notice Approval Date

05/28/2009: Interview APPROVED

7/22/2009 --POE (LAX)-- We are together forever <3

AOS Journey Begins Here ^------^

7/28/2009 -- Applied for SSN & Registered for Marriage License

8/3/2009 -- Civil Ceremony

8/5/2009 -- Received Marriage Certificate via Express Mail. Pass DMV Written Exam & Received Permit

08/11/2009-- Mailed AOS to Chicago, IL

08/17/2009 -- Check clears $1010 USCIS

8/20/2009- Touched ^---^

8/21/2009-- NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765 Hard Copy

08/29/2009-- Received Biometrics Appointment Letter in the mail, dated 08/26

09/03/2009 -- Early Walk In Biometrics Appt (Original Date 09/23)

09/04/2009 -- Touched ^---^

09/29/2009 -- EAD Card Production

10/07/2009 -- EAD Card Received

10/16/2009 AOS I-485 Interview in Los Angeles(APPROVED)

10/28/2009 -- GC in HAND <3

The hardest part was getting on the plane to leave Oksana. If not for my responsibilities here I would still be in Ukraine. Every day I had sang for her (at her request), and trust me I have a voice that makes an Alley cat go WTH!!!

Since then I have dived head first into this nightmare called the K-1Visa process and preparing the home and children for the new additions to our family.

We send IMs almost everyday and on Weekends are Skype video calls. It's not the same as being there, but it does help with the longing.

As has been suggested find something to occupy your time and keep busy. It won't lessen the missing but it will help occupy your mind so that you do not dwell on it as much. Stay strong and remember we are all in this together. :)

Dave

For us, we tried to see eachother every 2 month starting the beginning of our relationship. Then, it really got really costly... all the money i saved up to buy a house basically went into flight and hotels and phone bills. Thankfully, he proposed and we started our K1 visa process... we saw eachother in March again but its been 4 months since.... Its really difficult... We make it work by talking on the phone. I would purchase phone cards and he would call me on his internet phone from home.

I kept a small diary of my ups and downs of my emotions being apart from him for 4 month.. i think its something nice to reflect back to - seeing how strong our love can be-

I totally know what your going through, another reason we didn't want to see eachother until he actually moves to LA is because we don't want the sad goodbyes at airports anymore. We would both cry and then the next few days after is basically hell....

I say, start planning for the future. Planning and looking forward to the future is the motivation to be happier & hopeful.

Just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow. Have a safe journey home. :)

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
I have more understanding of what people go through than anyone here can know. When death is your reality, a temporary long distance relationship is a dream come true.

:luv: hugs

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We didn't have any long separations during our process... I only lived 2 1/2 hours from my fiance, so we saw each other every single weekend throughout the process.

But, when Sunday came, we were both very down and found it hard not to show it. The weeks were long, waiting for the next Friday to come.

I certainly sympathize with all of you who are separated by many miles and can't see each other regularly.

Keep strong... your day to be together forever is coming!!!!

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Exactly. Always heart wrenching that first moment but then the next talk, the next laugh, the next visit, the next steps... .

That's a perfect way to look at it.

:)

I really hope you don't mean that.

It's horrible to say goodbye for a time. But it's not a 'worst moment in your life' kind of thing - not by a long shot.

It carries with it a glimmer of tomorrow.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: Other Timeline
Some people on here like to post in these kinds of threads things along the lines of "get over it, time will pass quickly, you are almost done be thankful you are not so-and-so" I don't find those kind of comments helpful at all, more like a slap in the face. Reality is defined by the person experiencing it, and though I'm glad some people sailed through this with hardly a bother, I have hated every second of the waiting and I have done it kicking and screaming and b!+@=!$@. It's like childbirth, it hurts like hell and sometimes you think you would give almost anything to just have it over, but at the end you have a wonderful person in your life, and it changes everything.

I guess it depends on how people are saying things to you.

And I guess it also depends on how you are interpreting them.

I remember (when we were separated) that reunited partners would write on these boards about how it all fades away once you are together. That is very hard to imagine when you are separated. But it really is true. I think that is why some folks will tell you that this too will pass. I'm sure it's hard for you to believe that right now. If you are very lucky, there will come a time when you will look back on your journey with a smile - it is the story of your couplehood, you know. The journey we all take is not the 'normal' path. If we can learn how to be a couple while apart and then translate that to long-term real life commitment, then you have a wonderful testament not only to each other, but to love.

And.........I have to say I do not think it is at all inappropriate to be reminded that there are others waiting longer. It's no different than any other situation. Right now, my husband is unemployed - that's heartbreaking for us. But I also have a friend whose husband just died. Who is worse off? Me or her? The answer is pretty clear, and on bad days it helps bring me back to reality. The same can work for you if you let it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
He is flying to go back home this wednesday. I am really having a hard time with it. I am trying to stay strong. He has been in the U.S for one year. I am looking for some advice on how other couples make it work?

"absence makes the heart grow fonder"

some of you make not want to hear that right about now, but i think it's absolutely true. distance brings about 1 of 2 things - your relationship will either dissolve, or you will find strength in yourself and in each other that you did not know you had. it takes a lot of effort to focus on the bright spots. for many of us, those bright spots are few and far between while we go through this process. because of that, those moments have a white-hot intensity that i'm sure you all can relate to.

for the rest of your life, you will never forget the next moment you see him. everything around you will melt away and you will only be conscious of each other. i know it sounds cheesy and hollywood, but they can't write this stuff.

remember - that which does not kill you...........

TIMELINE:

03.06.09 - Filed I-129F

03.09.09 - Received NOA1

09.14.09 - RFE received

09.16.09 - RFE response sent

09.22.09 - NOA2!!!

09.28.09 - Case received by NVC

10.01.09 - NVC sent case to embassy

10.07.09 - Consulate received case, packet 3 sent via email

10.12.09 - Packet 3 checklist sent to embassy

10.21.09 - Embassy received completed checklist

12.14.09 - Appointment letter issued

01.19.10 - Interview

01.28.10 - 2nd interview

02.10.10 - Visa in hand!!!

04.01.10 - POE in Chicago

04.23.10 - Marriage

05.11.10 - Filed AOS, EAD, & AP

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.