cheapcharlie

married on a tourist visa interview questions

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am a USC by birth, lived overseas for 4 years. In September my then-girlfriend came here to visit me for a month (or so we had planned). My mother has been ill for several years. My mother's health continued to decline. Our visit was going so well that we decided to extend her stay and I had my stuff from my apartment packed and shipped to me so I could be here full time to help my mother. Over the holidays it became clear to both me any my girlfriend that our relationship could handle relocating to the US permanently so we got engaged in January and got married in February. Filed for adjustment of status, played the waiting game, received no RFEs and have our interview tomorrow.

So my question is, what kind of interview questions are we likely to face? I've been through the standard list and since we are actually married in good faith it's all very straightforward. Clearly (at least to us) our intent was not for our marriage to happen so spontaneously. But when faced with a sick relative priorities can shift and plans can change. I'm assuming we'll be asked about her intentions when she entered the country, but I don't know how much they will delve.

As I said, this is truly a case of changed plans but I'm wondering what to expect. Any insight is appreciated.

Filed: Country: Austria
Timeline

Hi cheapcharlie,

Your wife will most likely be asked about her intent to return to her native country. She will have to prove she had ties to her place at home, e.g. a job, bank account, apartment rent, a return ticket .... whatever applies.

The IO wants to make sure she had no intent to remain in the US upon entry.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. (F)

Good luck for your interview tomorrow! :thumbs:

got married on a tourist visa. during my aos interview, i wasn't asked about my intent of going home.. although i was nervous during that time. the IO focused more on evidences that prove our bonafide relationship..

good luck!

Naturalization

Sent N-400 Application....................................... Dec  5 2016

NOA1.................................................................. Dec 13 2016

Biometrics @ St Louis  ...................................... Jan 11 2017

Received Interview Letter .................................. Jun 10 2017 

Interview Scheduled in Chicago, IL ................... Jul 11 2017

Oath Ceremony in Peoria, IL .............................. Sep 20 2017

I don't think proving that she had ties to her home country will be a problem since getting the tourist visa was dependent on that in the first place. In fact she was denied a tourist visa twice before finally being approved on her third attempt. We'll bring all the supporting materials she presented then in case they want to review it.

Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Just bring lots of evidences and try to show more a true married life. The IO wd be more interetsted what you are doing together after marriage. SO whatever you are doing together & such proofs count.

Edited by christera22

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

• 2 weeks later...

I was interviewed first and questioned briefly and generally about the circumstances of her arrival and my repatriation. He left it very open ended, perhaps giving me enough rope to hang myself. But I gave him a general overview of what happened and he was satisfied with that. He did question whether we had lived together overseas. I said "yes", which caused a bit of a problem. On the G-325 I only included our official addresses. When we lived together she maintained her mom's place as her official address but effectively lived with me (she'd stay at her mom's maybe once month). He said it wasn't a problem but said I should have disclosed that on the G-325 - they want to know where you lived, not what your official address was.

When he brought in my wife he went through all the basics with her (name, address, telephone number) and then asked her each of the questions that are on the application about whether she is a nazi/terrorist/hooker/drug dealer/etc. He did seem more concerned with what proof we have that we are living together but we cleared that hurdle with just a few of the basics (bank letter, utility bill, health ins, affidavits). I think the key phrase is "living together", that must be one of the crucial tests. I'd be willing to bet that you could have all the proof in the world that you are legitimately married and still be in trouble if, for whatever reason, you're not living together.

He took her I-94 and said that he wouldn't be stamping her passport but he would be approving the application and that we'd receive the green card within 3-4 weeks. Our case numbers always came up "not found" on the USCIS website but by the next day they were suddenly working and it said the application was approved. Welcome and I-130 approval letters showed up later that week. Green card arrived in the mail today, 8 days after the interview and 5 months and 2 days after receiving our first Notice Of Action. I worked hard on our applications and did my homework on the relevant issues. I'd like to think that's why we never got any RFEs, which would have slowed the process down. As much as a royal pain in the ####### as this whole process has been I can't really complain about having a green card in hand less than 6 months after we got married.

Good luck to everyone else out there and thanks again to those who offered their advice to me along the way.

Cheers.

Congrats!! I hope ours goes smoothly as well. I have talked to a lot of people on here and haven't heard any negative stories about adjusting from VWP.

Adjust from VWP:

Marriage on day 64

06/29/09 - AOS package sent

07/01/09 - Package received via FedEx @ Chicago

07/08/09 - Received NOA

07/27/09 - Received Advanced Parole document dated 7/22

08/04/09 - Biometrics Appointment

08/12/09 - Received EAD Card

08/14/09 - Applied for Social Security Card

09/15/09 - Interview in Fairfax, VA ***APPROVED***

09/15/09 - Card Production Ordered

09/19/09 - Welcome to the USA letter received.

09/24/09 - Green Card in Hand

Time from Application receipt to Approval: 76 days.

Remove conditions: 09/2011

Remove conditions initial application: 7/6/2011 Approval: 4/17/2012

I worked hard on our applications and did my homework on the relevant issues. I'd like to think that's why we never got any RFEs, which would have slowed the process down. As much as a royal pain in the ####### as this whole process has been I can't really complain about having a green card in hand less than 6 months after we got married.

Doing your homework and being diligent about having everything right does pay off. :) A good lesson for everyone going through this process. Double and triple check everything! A little time now could save a lot of time and stress later.

Congratulations to you! :thumbs:

24q38dy.jpg

Nice! GC in less than 6 months!! Glad everything went fairly smooth. :star:

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.