Sign in to follow this  
fabman

K1 Visa Application

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiance and I are filling out the I-129F at the moment.

How much detail needs to be put into the 'decribe the circumstances under which you met question?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

How much detail needs to be put into the 'decribe the circumstances under which you met question?

More than two sentences are too much.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I think there isn't any rule of thumb of how this is essayed. The more significant fact is proving the qualifications this visa demands. Specifically, proving the relationship before meeting, the couple's meeting within two years prior the petition is submitted and the ongoing relationship after the petition's submission during the interview of the beneficiary.

Life is beautiful!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

"While returning from a trip to Ukraine on Sept. 19, 2007 I had a layover in Prague, CZ. I met Alla while waiting in line to buy bus tickets to the city"

That was my response in entirety. I added ONE photo of us together in a restaruant (with NO identifying features or date stamp) and copies passport stamps and boarding passes for that trip. Approved in 58 days...no RFEs.

They are asking how you met in person.

Describing more is not a bad thing, but not necessarily "better" as the requirement for the petition is that you have met in person at least one time in the last two years. The "in person" meeting can be before, during, or after "meeting" in some other way (online, etc.) and before, during or after any sort of "relationship". Neither does the meeting have to be for the purpose of "meeting", as it was in our case, a complete accidental encounter. I would never have had a photo if Alla was not such a camera bug and hadn't asked the waitress to take our photo. There was no intent, at the time of our meeting, to get married or engaged.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I think there isn't any rule of thumb of how this is essayed. The more significant fact is proving the qualifications this visa demands. Specifically, proving the relationship before meeting, the couple's meeting within two years prior the petition is submitted and the ongoing relationship after the petition's submission during the interview of the beneficiary.

There does not need to be any "relationship" before meeting. Alla was a complete stranger to me before meeting her in person. I met her, literally, waiting for a bus in Prague CZ. The meeting does NOT have to be in your country or hers (as in our case) only there must be a meeting in person within two years of filing the petition and evidence of that meeting. Could be a business meeting, chance encounter, or waving at each other across the street as long as you can provide plausible evidence it happened.

You prove the "relationship" at the interview. Though we had met "in person" 3 more times before filing the petition (we gathered all evidence needed for the petition AND the interview, including ex-husband's permission for children to leave the country) BEFORE filing the petition, it was not necessary to describe this in answer to question 18.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Gotcha Gary! At any circumstance couples meet in different ways. Some had been having a virtual relationship already prior meeting, some as your case by chance. Either manner, there is need to prove. What I find very ridiculous is proving to the consul that there really is love! Imagine the 4 clear book folders I have prepared for my interview!

Mr. and Mrs. Jaime Ferdinand Espiritu

request the honor of your presence

at the marriage of their daughter

Angelie Helena

to

Gregory William Preston

Thursday, the Fifth of November

Two Thousand and Nine

at Six O'clock in the Evening

Preston Estate

Wetherington Drive, Cincinnati

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Gotcha Gary! At any circumstance couples meet in different ways. Some had been having a virtual relationship already prior meeting, some as your case by chance. Either manner, there is need to prove. What I find very ridiculous is proving to the consul that there really is love! Imagine the 4 clear book folders I have prepared for my interview!

Proving there is love has never been a requirement for a fiance(e) or spouse visa. You show convincing evidence the relationship is bona fide. The standard is that the relationship is about more than obtaining an immigration benefit. While it's certainly a common standard among couples to be in love before becoming engaged or marrying, it's not a standard required for immigration purposes.

For the petition, there is need to show primary evidence (not proof) that the couple has met in person during the two years prior to filing the petition. At the interview, the Consular officer must be convinced under a "reasonable person" standard, that the relationship is not exclusively for the purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit.

When a case is denied by USCIS at petition, for relationship related evidence it's for lack of evidence of meeting or lack of freedom to marry by one or more of the parties.

When a case is denied at the Consulate for relationship related evidence the statement they are required to support is that they believe the relationship is (for the intending immigrant or both parties) "exclusively" to derive an immigration benefit.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Pushbrk is correct, except that some consulates will NOT adhere to any "reasonable person" standard. Looking ahead, depending on your consulate, you may wish to front-load the I-129F petition with considerable "evidence of relationship." (Please create your VJ timeline so that more people here can be able to help you.) USCIS will not care, but the consulate might or will, and they will receive what you send to USCIS now.

Also, AVOID listening to posters here who say "more than two sentences are [sic] too much." Take nothing for granted at the consular stage!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.