newlyweds

getting a marriage license & the need for a SSN in PA

25 posts in this topic

so, ive read the vital role of the marriage license and i just found out that Pennsylania needs a driver's license and SSN to get a marriage license so there goes our PA wedding with his friends and family; my fiance will go meet me in the US during his leave as a military personnel and he doesnt have a lot of leave days saved up; prolly will only have less than a month's worth of leave days when i get the K-1 visa. 

ive read about the SSN and how i can apply for it at least 2 wks after my POE since by then it will show in the system; then i would most probably wait for the card 2 wks later; so yes, that will sum up to about 4 wks and my fiance wont even have that much leave days! :crying:  

so i looked at other states that wont require a SSN to get a marriage license; looked up virginia, california, and yes, even nevada (we were curious about las vegas too u know :blush: ) but then to my dismay it was stated there

"You'll typically need to apply for your marriage license at least one month before your wedding ceremony." 

does it really have to be at least a month?

and when i scrolled down, it said:

" Application Requirement: Both the bride and groom must appear in person at the time of applying." 

well i would obviously apply it with him, but if we would wait a month til we get married, that's just way way way tooo long! he doesnt even have enough time to do that  :crying::crying:

we have been planning to maybe have a church wedding at PA and at most in 2-3 days after our arrival; coz we want to apply for the AOS asap and get an AP asap so i can fly to Okinawa and be with my future hubby

so not only is our church wedding plan put on hold but im not even sure about the marriage license, and if we can have enough time to get married the entire time he's on his leave... :blink::blink:

P.S.

im just doing my research whilst waiting for the NOA2 coz we dont have all the time in the world when we see each other in the states, so it's better to be prepared (especially for worst case scenarios)

so any ideas and suggestions would be a really BIG help Thanks! much love :luv:

Luke 18:27 Jesus said" what is impossible to men is possible with God."

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

09/09/09-K-1 visa approved

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

08/26/10-319B n400 starts

11-09-10 Interview 10 AM >Approved

11-09-10 oath 2 PM Fairfax, VA

All glory, praises, thanksgiving and admiration belong only to God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

In most states - the requirement for SS Card and/or Driver's License can be (and often is) waived if the person does not have one or both (a quick phone call to them will verify this). You will (in every case I've seen) still both need appear to apply for the license.

In Texas I believe you have to wait 2 or 3 days to get the license - PA may be different but I would call to ask specifically about the 30 days thing - seems a bit long to me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
so, ive read the vital role of the marriage license and i just found out that Pennsylania needs a driver's license and SSN to get a marriage license so there goes our PA wedding with his friends and family; my fiance will go meet me in the US during his leave as a military personnel and he doesnt have a lot of leave days saved up; prolly will only have less than a month's worth of leave days when i get the K-1 visa. 

ive read about the SSN and how i can apply for it at least 2 wks after my POE since by then it will show in the system; then i would most probably wait for the card 2 wks later; so yes, that will sum up to about 4 wks and my fiance wont even have that much leave days! :crying:  

so i looked at other states that wont require a SSN to get a marriage license; looked up virginia, california, and yes, even nevada (we were curious about las vegas too u know :blush: ) but then to my dismay it was stated there

"You'll typically need to apply for your marriage license at least one month before your wedding ceremony." 

" Application Requirement: Both the bride and groom must appear in person at the time of applying." 

well i would obviously apply it with him, but if we would wait a month til we get married, that's just way way way tooo long! he doesnt even have enough time to do that  :crying::crying:

we have been planning to maybe have a church wedding at PA and at most in 2-3 days after our arrival; coz we want to apply for the AOS asap and get an AP asap so i can fly to Okinawa and be with my future hubby

so not only is our church wedding plan put on hold but im not even sure about the marriage license, and if we can have enough time to get married the entire time he's on his leave... :blink::blink:

P.S.

im just doing my research whilst waiting for the NOA2 coz we dont have all the time in the world when we see each other in the states, so it's better to be prepared (especially for worst case scenarios)

I also got this problem here in Maryland but we went to West Virginia, they gave a marriage liscence without an SSN just show your birth certificate and passport..we dont need to wait ,they gave it to us same time as we are waiting and we also get married after 30 minutes ..Try to call there...

In most states - the requirement for SS Card and/or Driver's License can be (and often is) waived if the person does not have one or both (a quick phone call to them will verify this). You will (in every case I've seen) still both need appear to apply for the license.

In Texas I believe you have to wait 2 or 3 days to get the license - PA may be different but I would call to ask specifically about the 30 days thing - seems a bit long to me.

ok, yeah i thought it seemed ridiculously long too, kind of sucked out my energy there so thanks for the info :)  i actually thought the license was synonymous with the marriage certificate lol we dont have that in my country, so i ddnt know much about it til i got to have a read it; made me feel stupid for a bit lol

and oh, PA has a 3-day waiting period; so we may just forget about the wedding in PA and will have to do it in another state. But fiance's gonna contact them on monday, i was able to google the number for the county's clerk office :)

i just really want a church wedding, always pictured me to have one lol and want all the people closest to him to be there; so a PA wedding would be great but if circumstances wont permit us, then a diff state will do; doesnt matter if it'd only be just the two of us lol as long as we can have it in a church

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

P.S.

I also got this problem here in Maryland but we went to West Virginia, they gave a marriage liscence without an SSN just show your birth certificate and passport..we dont need to wait ,they gave it to us same time as we are waiting and we also get married after 30 minutes ..Try to call there...

wow, ok a wedding after 30 minutes sounds fine to me lol ok, well, this is good news for us then :) i so love VJ! lol it's refreshing to have people be able to help my query so thanks so much! :) 

we'll look into these other states too, gotta find the nearest, most convenient one for us and our possible guests; i guess we will have to rethink about thewedding details; coz if we'd have it in PA it'd be easier to have everything since we'd have people he knows to help us with the church, reception, my bouquet & the cake(only wedding details im really concerned about anyway ^_^

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just wanted to let you know that we got our marriage license in PA & we didn't need a social security number. We got the license last week and are getting married on Tuesday :) They gave it to us as soon as we finished filling out the papers.

Edited by Xaenyth

AoS...EaD...AP Journey

09.28.09 - AoS Packet Sent

09.29.09 - Packet Received

10.05.09 - Noa1 x's 3

10.06.09 - Check Cashed

10.09.09 - 3 Noa Hard Copies Arrive

10.14.09 - Biometrics Letter Arrives

10.21.09 - Case Transferred to CSC

10.26.09 - Transfer Letter Arrives

10.27..09 - Touched & Added to Uscis Site

10.28.09 - Walk-In Biometrics Done & Touched

10.29.09 - Touched

10.30.09 - Scheduled Biometrics Appointment

11.02 & 11.03.09 - I485 touched

11.12.09 - EaD & AP Approved

11.16.09 - AP Letter Arrives in Mail

11.21.09 - EaD Card Arrives in Mail

12.09.09 - AOS APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12.09.08 - 12.09.09 - Exactly 1 year from K1 first Noa to Aos Approval

Next Step....

Lifting Conditions 9.07.11

x.xThe universe may not always play fair, but at least it's got a hell of a sense of humor x.x

Just wanted to let you know that we got our marriage license in PA & we didn't need a social security number. We got the license last week and are getting married on Tuesday :) They gave it to us as soon as we finished filling out the papers.

Good news for the OP.

http://secureprod.phila.gov/wills/marriagelicense.aspx

The marriage license will issue on the third day following application and is valid for only sixty (60) days from the issue date that appears on the license. If the license is not used within the 60 day period, the marriage license must be returned and the application process must be repeated in its entirety and the fee re-paid

Says there is a 3 day waiting period...

Applicants must produce the following identification: a CURRENT, VALID PHOTO I.D. in the form of either a driver’s license; non-driver’s license; international driver’s license; passport; military I.D.; resident alien card or consulate card AND a Social Security card or any other form of I.D. issued by an official entity which reflects the applicant’s Social Security number (i.e. Social Security printout; pay stub; W-2 form; income tax return; prescription card; access card etc.). If an applicant does NOT possess a Social Security number he/she must produce a Secondary I.D. in the form of a birth certificate (officially translated, if appropriate); or any other form of I.D. issued by an official entity, in addition to the above-noted current, valid photo I.D.

Says you can use a Passport and birth certificate....

The only hurdle is the 3 day waiting period....so go the day you arrive and marry 3 days later....

Don't know where Xaenyth got their license because I checked a lot of counties in PA and they all had the 3 day waiting period.

Good Luck hope this helps

Edited by thepizzadude

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Good news for the OP.

Oops. He didn't need his driver's license either. He used his passport.

AoS...EaD...AP Journey

09.28.09 - AoS Packet Sent

09.29.09 - Packet Received

10.05.09 - Noa1 x's 3

10.06.09 - Check Cashed

10.09.09 - 3 Noa Hard Copies Arrive

10.14.09 - Biometrics Letter Arrives

10.21.09 - Case Transferred to CSC

10.26.09 - Transfer Letter Arrives

10.27..09 - Touched & Added to Uscis Site

10.28.09 - Walk-In Biometrics Done & Touched

10.29.09 - Touched

10.30.09 - Scheduled Biometrics Appointment

11.02 & 11.03.09 - I485 touched

11.12.09 - EaD & AP Approved

11.16.09 - AP Letter Arrives in Mail

11.21.09 - EaD Card Arrives in Mail

12.09.09 - AOS APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12.09.08 - 12.09.09 - Exactly 1 year from K1 first Noa to Aos Approval

Next Step....

Lifting Conditions 9.07.11

x.xThe universe may not always play fair, but at least it's got a hell of a sense of humor x.x

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

moved to the more appropriate K-1 visa process and procedure forum

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

P.S.

The Supreme Court ruled in 2008 that states CANNOT require a SSN number to obtain a marriage license. They can ask for the number but cannot require it as marriage has nothing to do with immigration status or legal stauts in the US. Also, given the popularity of the Pocono Mountains as a destination place for marriages/honeymoons, I find it hard to believe that Pennsylvania is denying New Jersey residents the opportunity to get married in PA. Or any other state residents wishing to marry there. I think you should check your information with someone more specifically. Some states have a waiting period of 3 days after issuance of the license. Our state, Vermont, does not and it would be possible to leave the airport, get a marriage license and be married within 30 minutes of flight arrival.

Also, what is the rush? You have 90 days to get married.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Good news for the OP.

yes yes, everyone this is very very much good news for me and my fiance! lol talked to him 2 hours ago and we actually planned out that we'll just drive to virginia and get married there; but the only thing was in our plan only the two of us will go lol and then do a dinner with his family and friends on the weekend after our wedding; but i's definitely good to hear all these info! i am soo happy right now lol

looks like i can get married in PA then yay! and we can have his family with us, .. hmm a girl can have her church wedding in PA then  lol  :blush:

i am really just ecstatic knowing all these info hehehe :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

im glad i have VJ to run to when i get confused with what i need to do  :blush:

so atleast i wont need to worry about that anymore

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

http://secureprod.phila.gov/wills/marriagelicense.aspx

The marriage license will issue on the third day following application and is valid for only sixty (60) days from the issue date that appears on the license. If the license is not used within the 60 day period, the marriage license must be returned and the application process must be repeated in its entirety and the fee re-paid

Says there is a 3 day waiting period...

Applicants must produce the following identification: a CURRENT, VALID PHOTO I.D. in the form of either a driver's license; non-driver's license; international driver's license; passport; military I.D.; resident alien card or consulate card AND a Social Security card or any other form of I.D. issued by an official entity which reflects the applicant's Social Security number (i.e. Social Security printout; pay stub; W-2 form; income tax return; prescription card; access card etc.). If an applicant does NOT possess a Social Security number he/she must produce a Secondary I.D. in the form of a birth certificate (officially translated, if appropriate); or any other form of I.D. issued by an official entity, in addition to the above-noted current, valid photo I.D.

Says you can use a Passport and birth certificate....

The only hurdle is the 3 day waiting period....so go the day you arrive and marry 3 days later....

Don't know where Xaenyth got their license because I checked a lot of counties in PA and they all had the 3 day waiting period.

Good Luck hope this helps

that definitely helps a lot thanks! :thumbs: i'll use that then coz the other IDs i have are my license as a nurse in philippines, and an Iv therapist ID so passport & BC will do great then :) 

my fiance will be glad to hear this lol we can have his parents at the wedding and his friends  :blush:

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

P.S.

The Supreme Court ruled in 2008 that states CANNOT require a SSN number to obtain a marriage license. They can ask for the number but cannot require it as marriage has nothing to do with immigration status or legal stauts in the US. Also, given the popularity of the Pocono Mountains as a destination place for marriages/honeymoons, I find it hard to believe that Pennsylvania is denying New Jersey residents the opportunity to get married in PA. Or any other state residents wishing to marry there. I think you should check your information with someone more specifically. Some states have a waiting period of 3 days after issuance of the license. Our state, Vermont, does not and it would be possible to leave the airport, get a marriage license and be married within 30 minutes of flight arrival.

Also, what is the rush? You have 90 days to get married.

ok, i'll keep that in mind too; but how can i know my SSN if i dont have the card yet; will that be possible? we wanna get married as soon as we land actually lol because he would only have less than a  month's worth of leave days; and the sooner we get married the sooner we apply for the AOS, the sooner we can get the AP; ergo, the sooner i can go be with him in Okinawa (he's US military) then get a SOFA status so i can stay there for however long then just fly back to USA for the AOS interview w/or  without him if he can have at least a week's worth of leave days by the time we have the interview;

we honestly wish we can have the SSN maybe a week before he flies back to Okinawa coz then he can enroll me to DEERS/tri-care, EFMP all that stuff and then get the orders for me to accompany him in japan, then most possibly file for an infopass to get an AP;coz i found out even if id have the military ID and the military orders i NEED an AP before leaving the country;

so that's all the plan and we'll just have to wait and see if God wills it  :blush:

im even gonna start gathering the forms and all other stuff we can use for the AOS so come time we get to the states,we can have all the necessary files.

if we can just get married here in the philippines then forget about the K-1,file for K-3 or CR-1 we would but i need an SSN to get me enrolled in all that stuff; thus not having the SSN i wont get a SOFA status and stay with him Okinawa; and K-3 or CR-1 might take longer..we cant wait that much longer anymore lol.. we want to be together again soon :)

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

If you haven't applied for a SSN you won't have one to put down. The state can ask for it, but they cannot require it, so you will be fine. When you call your county, make sure to ask if you can pick up the marriage certificate to save yourself the time it takes them to mail it. After you get married, the person who marries you sends the cert to the county, they do their magic and send you the official marriage certificate you need to file AOS for in the mail. It can take anywhere from a week to a month depending on the county. We dropped ours off a few days after our wedding and were able to get it the same day and get our AOS petition in ASAP.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.