Misty1979

A Moral Dilemma

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys, I'm not sleeping very easily lately due to a tough decision I'm going to have to make in about two weeks, and I really don't know what I should do!

For those of you who don't know, I'm the Canadian citizen, and I'm in the US military. I just got out of boot camp about 4 months ago, and now it's time for me to choose my "rate" (job that I want to do for my military career,) then once I've chosen it, put my name on the A school list for whatever school I've decided to go to. I am seriously stuck trying to decide between two rates right now, and I only have two weeks to make up my mind since I'm eligible to put my name on the A school list in two weeks, and I'm eager to move up in the ranks and move on to better things. One of the rates I can choose from does not require a high security clearance right now, so it will be easy to get into, but I'm unsure these days how much I will actually enjoy that job. The other rate I know I will enjoy alot more, and I will also be able to bring my husband along with me to the school station for the 26ish weeks I'll be there, and the skills I will learn there are things that can transfer better into the civilian world, and some of it can even be applied at home, etc, so in my heart I want that job the most. The thing is, if I choose that rate, the possibility is very high I will have to drop my Canadian citizenship since you cannot be a dual citizen because it requires a top secret security clearance. Like most of us here, I hold my citizenship very close to heart, since Canada is my home and made me who I am, but at the same time, I want this job more than anything and don't know if I will be happy doing the other job for the next 20 years until I can retire.

Any opinions? I'm very bothered by this right now, since I feel like I'll be doing my family in Canada wrong somehow by dropping my citizenship, even though I can still visit, and hopefully regain it once I retire since both my husband and I would like to retire there. At the same time, if I did choose the not-so-fun rate, at least I'll still citizenship, and won't have to deal with the negative comments from family and friends about "ditching" Canada lol....

Please post any thoughts or comments you might have to help this confused girl out :blink:

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You know who you are inside and out, as does your family. What the government chooses to tell you and what you actually feel are two different things.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Oh Misty, I'm sorry you have to make that kind of decision in such little time. I wish I could help with some kind of wise words but I'm terrible at putting things in writing.

I know I wouldn't give my Canadian citizenship for anything, but I also don't have something that I worked hard to get too that may require me doing just that. I really wish you the best in making the right choice for you.

Danielle

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Here in Texas, we have a saying "American By Birth, Texan By The Grace Of God."

I guess my point is - you're Canadian whether you have a piece of paper saying so or not - Canada will survive - so will you.. :star:

Timeline

Such a tough choice - I don't even know what I would do, unless you are put in someone's shoes it's hard to say.

The only dilemma I would have, is giving up my Cnd citizenship - what if you ever wanted to move back? You wouldn't be able to anymore? You'd be a visitor in your own country. That's what I would have a hard time with. The thought of never being able to move home.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

I think really, the answer is obvious for you.

Follow your heart. .

(L)

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

A couple of things I would check out if I were you.

You should probably ask yourself and do some research to find out how you are going to be resident in Canada when you do retire.

If you take the higher security clearance job and do renounce your citizenship, obviously it won't be as easy as walking in to Immigration Canada and saying, ok, i'd like it back now, you will have to immigrate. Will you and your Husband have the things required to become permanent residents? If permanent residency is not an option for you at that time are you willing to retire in the U.S.?

Get a confirmation, regarding the other job, to find out if you will have to renounce your Canadian citizenship - that may make the decision much easier.

Personally I would never give up my Canadian citizenship for a job - but - it is a personal decision and I wish you luck!

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

One should find out for sure if u have to drop ur cdn citizenship and how they expect you to do that! It may be as simple as not having a Cdn passport!! belive me not all govt agencies are that bright,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
One should find out for sure if u have to drop ur cdn citizenship and how they expect you to do that! It may be as simple as not having a Cdn passport!! belive me not all govt agencies are that bright,lol

Govt's & Military especially are prone to having waivers for just about every requirement - Talk to supervisors etc to see what possibilities there are for your specific situation. -- talk to someone who knows & forget the barracks lawyers ;) In your post it sounded like you weren't completely sure that would be required of you.

I think you should get all the information you can and make an informed decision - but I agree with the sentiment of following your heart.

[font="Arial Black"][b]Our Visa Journey[/b][/font]
[color="#4B0082"]Met June 6, 2008 & Fell in love :)
He Propsed! September 15, 2008
Mailed I-129F: October 17th, 2008
[b]NOA1: October 28, 2008[/b]
[b]NOA2: March 13th, 2009 * Friday the 13th!*[/b]
NVC Received: April 2, 2009
NVC Shipped to Montreal Consulate: April 3, 2009
Montreal Consulate Received: April 6, 2009
Packet 3 Sent: April 9th, 2009
4/21: Contacted DoS RE lost packet 3 - operator told us to go ahead and send in all our documents
Packet 3 Received in Montreal: 4/22
Packet 3 logged in MTL: 4/24
Packet 4: June 3, 2009
[b]Interview Date: July 8, 2009!! APPROVED![/b]
POE & Date: July 15, 2009
Courthouse wedding: July 17, 2009

Ceremonial Wedding: First weekend June 2010 [/color]

I WISH I COULD FIX MY TIMELINE TOO! :)

[b]Getting it all together for the AOS :) [/b]

Timeline

Regardless of what you do, I hope it all works out for you. And I wonder if April 17, 2009 would save you, the Waking up Canadian Day. Good luck in the army!

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

I would first check to see if you can't have dual citizenship. My understanding firstly is that if you're an American citizen, that they don't "count" your having Canadian citizenship anyway. Secondly, when I had to look at this some time ago, you can't "renounce" your Canadian citizenship until you have citizenship in another country first. Naturally, since you can't renounce citizenship without having another one to fall back on. Now, I look at your timeline, and you haven't even got to the point of ROC? So, you're looking at something that couldn't possibly happen for a few years yet anyway. You're going to have to remove your conditions first, then apply in another year for citizenship, and go through that process first. Then after achieving citizenship, you have to get an American passport. THEN you COULD apply for renounciation. When I enquired into this, I was told that you fill out the papers, then you HAVE to appear in front of a judge. It cannot be done any other way than in person. It has to be a scheduled hearing. The judge hears your reasoning, and IF HE/SHE so chooses, will either say you can or can't renounce. It's their decision. Again, you have to already have citizenship in another country first.

If you are granted the opportunity to renounce, and you do. Officially, it's a written judgement. When or if you want to come back to Canada, and perhaps immigrate to Canada, you are afforded no special privilages, and you enter as ANY immigrant. You do not automatically, or at any time jump the que. You have to become a landed immigrant, permanent resident, then apply for citizenship...again, just like any other immigrant.

Personally, I'd first find out if you have to be ONLY an American citizen. Then, if so, you're going to have to make a decision I suppose, however it can't be made for some time, so it really won't affect what schooling you take now, because in six months, it won't matter because you'll only be removing conditions at that point.

Changes to security clearances in the military and contractors are changning daily, and by the time you need to make that decision, I think there will be other changes that might not necessitate the renounciation.

carlahmsb4.gif

I'm pretty sure the military has a fast-track to citizenship. I think you have to be in the country (legally) 2 years.

I thought the spouse of a US military person was allowed to fast-track. Is her husband a US military? As well, would she not have to remove conditions first? OP...something I guess you'll have to check into as well.

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.