8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everyone!, I'm sending my AOS paperwork next wednesday and i was wondering what you guys did or your foreign spouse did while she was waiting for her employment card. It gets pretty boring here at home, i can't drive yet and i don't have many friends, the friends i have are always working. Do you have any ideas on what to do? hahaha i'm going crazy!!! I'm so used to go to work or to school and now its like i'm a stay at home mom with no kids and two dogs hahaha thank you for all your replies!

May.29.2009 Got married!!!

July.22.2009 Sent our AOS paperwork I-130(g-325) and I-485(I-131, I-765, I-864, g-325)

July.28.2009 Immigration Received Paperwork

July.31.2009 Received NOA (I-130, I-765, I-485, I-131) and ASC Appointment Notice

August.27.2009 ASC Appointment (biometrics)

September.01.2009 Card production ordered

September.02.2009 Received Approval notice I-765

September.04.2009 Received Advance parole in the mail (I-131) =) yaaay i get to go home in December!

September. 11.2009 Received employment card :)

September.14.2009 Received Request to appear for initial interview

October.21.2009 INTERVIEW

Got approved that same day and i received my Residency Card 2 weeks later

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You can look in the active thread "Friends" in this same forum, and for other similar threads. All contain some very good ideas.

You'll have an adjustment, but remain positive and flexible, and you'll surely make it through!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Timeline

In my case, I keep myself busy going to the gym, go to the mall window shopping,visiting forums, walking in the park, looking for new friends, watching my local favorate telenovela. now since We MOVED HERE FROM THE SOUTH I'm started again to look for job. :innocent:

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Filed: Timeline
Hello everyone!, I'm sending my AOS paperwork next wednesday and i was wondering what you guys did or your foreign spouse did while she was waiting for her employment card. It gets pretty boring here at home, i can't drive yet and i don't have many friends, the friends i have are always working. Do you have any ideas on what to do? hahaha i'm going crazy!!! I'm so used to go to work or to school and now its like i'm a stay at home mom with no kids and two dogs hahaha thank you for all your replies!

The AOS process is pretty quick. You will have your EAD in about 8 weeks. This would be a good time to brush up on your job skills, and refine your resume. You can start sending out letters of introduction and resumes before you get your EAD, making sure if you get a positive response, you tell them that you are waiting for your EAD. Besides the internet, many counties and states offer free assistance for job seekers. You might need to have your education reevaluated and see if any certificates are required for your profession. Your public library in a fun place to hang out, and do research. I dropped my wife at both the job bank, and the public library for a few hours when she starting getting bored.

Filed: Other Timeline

The AOS process is pretty quick. You will have your EAD in about 8 weeks. This would be a good time to brush up on your job skills, and refine your resume. You can start sending out letters of introduction and resumes before you get your EAD, making sure if you get a positive response, you tell them that you are waiting for your EAD. Besides the internet, many counties and states offer free assistance for job seekers. You might need to have your education reevaluated and see if any certificates are required for your profession. Your public library in a fun place to hang out, and do research. I dropped my wife at both the job bank, and the public library for a few hours when she starting getting bored.

:thumbs::thumbs: good advice.

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

One thing you can do is volunteer. My husband is doing that right now. First off it will help you meet new people and keep you busy. Second you can put it on your resume when you finally get your EAD. It will show even though you have not had a paid job in the US you have some work experience here. =)

=)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I spent WAY too much time online, both here on VJ and on other miscellaneous websites.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

One thing you can do is volunteer. My husband is doing that right now. First off it will help you meet new people and keep you busy. Second you can put it on your resume when you finally get your EAD. It will show even though you have not had a paid job in the US you have some work experience here. =)

I could be wrong but I believe I read here in the not too distant past that while volunteering is broadly okay, USCIS can take issue with the concept of taking a voluntary position with a view to it becoming paid once you have the EAD. So if you take a voluntary position with a company you have no intention of working for once you have the EAD, you should be fine but if your voluntary position runs straight into a paid position in the same firm, there could be a problem???

Myself, I did a lot of DIY around the house and yard to keep my mind from seizing up :)

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.