Michy

Effect of Restraining Order on husbands Interview?

8 posts in this topic

My husband is here on a K3 visa. We got into a fight, he was arrested and now I have a restraining order for 2 years against him. At his arrest he was not convicted because of lack of evidence. We want to work the marriage out but unable to drop the order because of legal reasons. We have a 2 year old together, I have full custody. I am allowed to go with my husband anywhere for immigration purposes per the restraining order, and his Adjustment of Status interview is coming up. We no longer live together because the restraining order prevents it, will this have a bad effect on his AOS interview?

Edited by Michy

Filed: Timeline

I should doubt that it would have any negative effect, unless you are not willing to provide adequate explanation of the extenuating circumstances of your separation.

My husband is here on a K3 visa. We got into a fight, he was arrested and now I have a restraining order for 2 years against him. At his arrest he was not convicted because of lack of evidence. We want to work the marriage out but unable to drop the order because of legal reasons. We have a 2 year old together, I have full custody. I am allowed to go with my husband anywhere for immigration purposes per the restraining order, and his Adjustment of Status interview is coming up. We no longer live together because the restraining order prevents it, will this have a bad effect on his AOS interview?
Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

if your both meant to be at the interview im gessuing that will highly be imposible because if the restraining order, did you talked to a lawyer on how you could be able to drop the charges ???? i mean if you put it on there would have to be a why , do you havea hearing for this restraning order ?

3dflags_pri0001-0001a.gif3dflags_aus0001-0001a.gif

Oct 29 2004 Met on LDSPLANET

Oct 30 2004 First phone call....EVERY DAY till this day

Dec 25 2004 I asked him to MARRY me and he said Yes

March 19 2005 took out my passport now i need to wait

April 19 2005 I GOT MY PASSPORT !!!!

April 21 2005 NENNE booked his flight he get here on June 29th YES!!!!

May 9 2005 I-130 Packet and Packet 3 are being sent off to us !!!

May 15 2005 Recived packet 1-3

June 29 2005 Nenne arrived in Puerto Rico

July 2 2005 GOT MARRIEDbadassbuddy_com-inlove2.gif

July 11 2005 Got our Marriage Certificate

Leaving August 17th to Australia and file for DCF !!!

July 19 2005 Got interview date on Sept. 6

August 17th Got to AUSTRALIA !!!

SEPTEMBER 6 DCF (CR1)WE GOT APPROVED !!!!

September 9 2005 Recived VISA in mail

November 24 2005 Nennes POE GUAM

November 26 2005 Arrived in Puerto Rico

Married for 3 years and counting

September 10 2007 sending off the I-571

Sept 2007 sent forms Aug 2008 got 10 yr Green Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
if your both meant to be at the interview im gessuing that will highly be imposible because if the restraining order
The OP wrote, "I am allowed to go with my husband anywhere for immigration purposes per the restraining order."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

That's a pretty serious restraining order, one so serious that you can't even work on your marriage together. Especially because there was no evidence on which the police could act. I think that in the eyes of the USCIS, you will need some very unusual and compelling evidence that in fact you have a bona fide marriage.

Unless you can get the court to rescind the restraining order and the two of you can start living together again, I'd say the chances are slim for him to get the AOS. In most cases, since you are the one who obtained the restraining order, you can have it rescinded.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

if there was no conviction then the restraining order has no basis. it's revocation could be petitioned by either party for about $200-$500.

if your "legal reason" for keeping it in place is to have high ground in child custody, occupancy of marital residence, or other divorce related issues, then you are doing what you want for your own reasons.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.