ladysoul

Emplyment Authorization?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

Oh gosh, its on! Just recieved notice from the Embassy, as soon as my checklist is put together, they will schedule me for an interview, yes!

Have a few questions about getting work authorization when I get in to the US... Should I apply for a temporary one at the airport and have it adjusted the next day at the local office? How long can I be working on that one, and can I apply for jobs right away when I get to the US? Or is it better to wait and apply later, have read somewhere that its not completely smooth sailing with this, getting work permit and such right away, and I do need to start working pretty much as soon as I get there.... Thanks friends!

Victoria. :thumbs::whistle::dance:

Oh gosh, its on! Just recieved notice from the Embassy, as soon as my checklist is put together, they will schedule me for an interview, yes!

Have a few questions about getting work authorization when I get in to the US... Should I apply for a temporary one at the airport and have it adjusted the next day at the local office? How long can I be working on that one, and can I apply for jobs right away when I get to the US? Or is it better to wait and apply later, have read somewhere that its not completely smooth sailing with this, getting work permit and such right away, and I do need to start working pretty much as soon as I get there.... Thanks friends!

What type of visa?

How long have you been married?

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline

What type of visa?

Its the K1 visa, and we will get married when I get to the US after my interview in a few weeks...

What type of visa?

Its the K1 visa, and we will get married when I get to the US after my interview in a few weeks...

You will be eligible for a Social Security Card when you arrive, but noone is allowed to hire you until you get and EAD. You can't get an EAD until after you get married and file for AOS. You can submit the EAD application at the same time as AOS or after. You can expect the EAD to take 2 - 3 months after you file.

Please fill out your timeline

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

"""You will be eligible for a Social Security Card when you arrive, but noone is allowed to hire you until you get and EAD. You can't get an EAD until after you get married and file for AOS. You can submit the EAD application at the same time as AOS or after. You can expect the EAD to take 2 - 3 months after you file."""

umm, no...

one can get a stamp at POE in passport that allows one to work....which my husband received in cinncinati when he came in on a K1. EAD then arrived 3 months later in the mail

Timeline

What type of visa?

You will be eligible for a Social Security Card when you arrive, but noone is allowed to hire you until you get and EAD. You can't get an EAD until after you get married and file for AOS. You can submit the EAD application at the same time as AOS or after. You can expect the EAD to take 2 - 3 months after you file.

Please fill out your timeline

So whats the difference between a temporary EAD that you file for at the airport and the one you apply for with/after the AOS. I already have a social security number from when I studied in the USm but its not authorized for work though... Thanks for helping me out!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
the temporary one from POE is good for 90 days...

I thought it became invalid once you were married..? I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

husband entered 9/04 rec'd temparory employment stamp. applied for SS. got married 10/04, found a job 11/04, EAD card arrived 12/04...been working ever since. no break in employment...job was secured on temporary stamp

i'm not sure why everyone is thinking this is a hassle. it is quite basic..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
husband entered 9/04 rec'd temparory employment stamp. applied for SS. got married 10/04, found a job 11/04, EAD card arrived 12/04...been working ever since. no break in employment...job was secured on temporary stamp

Probably because for most of us, there is a huge gap between the 90 days of the K-1 and when the EAD arrives. Our 90 days expired long ago, and no EAD is in sight. If DH had been able to find a job, he would have had to quit at the end of December.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It's not so basic for everyone. You were very klucky that you just happened to receive your EAD card before your temporary EAD expired. This is usually NOT the case.

"""You will be eligible for a Social Security Card when you arrive, but noone is allowed to hire you until you get and EAD. You can't get an EAD until after you get married and file for AOS. You can submit the EAD application at the same time as AOS or after. You can expect the EAD to take 2 - 3 months after you file."""

umm, no...

one can get a stamp at POE in passport that allows one to work....which my husband received in cinncinati when he came in on a K1. EAD then arrived 3 months later in the mail

Cincinnati gives the temp EAD stamp?

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

EAD applied for in Oct. Still waiting for it and no luck, yet, in getting the interin EAD either - "Fill out this form and we'll get back to you." I have a job lined up already, just need the authorization. Believe me, it can be a hassle.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.