rsn

Quick legal marriage in Wisconsin

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I live in Madison (Dane county) and it looks like Madison/Dane county has done its best to make it as difficult and expensive as possible to get married here. It is surprisingly much more expensive and complex than in Chicago. My fiancee and I want a quick legal marriage so we can file AOS ASAP (we will have a formal reception both here and in Thailand later this year). Has anyone been through this before in Wisconsin, or possibly even Madison? I called the Clerk's office and asked about a legal wedding, but they said something about me having to contact a judge myself and setup a place and time. I figured I could just go to the courthouse and do this, but it doesn't appear that I can. Help!

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I live in Madison (Dane county) and it looks like Madison/Dane county has done its best to make it as difficult and expensive as possible to get married here. It is surprisingly much more expensive and complex than in Chicago. My fiancee and I want a quick legal marriage so we can file AOS ASAP (we will have a formal reception both here and in Thailand later this year). Has anyone been through this before in Wisconsin, or possibly even Madison? I called the Clerk's office and asked about a legal wedding, but they said something about me having to contact a judge myself and setup a place and time. I figured I could just go to the courthouse and do this, but it doesn't appear that I can. Help!

I live in a smaller town, Madison sucks, big time. As a Wisconsin resident, you have to get your marriage license in your county or face up to a $10,000.00 fine, and if you think the USCIS wants proof you are free to marry, they should take lessons from Wisconsin to become true b@stards. Every county in this state has different fees and different rules, do a google search on this, but after you get your license, you are free to get married anywhere you want to. I selected a good judge I knew from a different county, a good honest guy, and wanted something very legal to show to the USCIS, but think they were more interested in seeing a utility bill with both our names on it. We had a very nice marriage ceremony in Portage County and the judge refused to even take a dime for it, not even a contribution to his charity, and everyone at the courthouse was a sweet as can be, just had to go downstairs and get a zillion copies of our marriage certificate for the USCIS, service was instantaneous.

Something about the marriage is not valid until it is consummated, should look up at big word in my dictionary. But when I did, they take your word for it, thought for a second we would have to do that before the judge.

Congratulations, if religious, can always get your marriage blessed. Some religions are really though on that, want you to wait ten years first, can't do that with the USCIS, they tell you when and if you can get married. But they can only marry you, forget about a divorce, that is strictly civil. Saw many divorce attorneys are also certified to give marriage ceremonies, maybe you can work out a special deal, but for marriage, they really know how to charge. Been six years for us, memory is getting a bit hazy, but recall reading you do not even need a formal ceremony in front of whomever is certified by the state, can just make the vows to each other yourself, but try and sell that to the USCIS.

We needed an apostille for our certificate and had to register our marriage in Venezuela for my wife to renew her passport, learned our certificate was in the hands of the secretary of state as we also needed that apostille. That did go fairly smooth as long as your check is good.

Ha, all the USCIS can talk about is fraud, would want a least a million bucks from a spouse before I would even think about it. But then that spouse could blackmail you and really clean you out, spouse would only get deported, (but with your money), you would go to jail. When I think about our laws, my head spins.

moved to 'moving to america' for more help

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Timeline

Just go to your country court house with a couple of hundred bucks in your pocket, they will hand you a piece of paper where you can get married. But believe you still have to wait another seven days after you get your license.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The first time I got married, it was to a USC in Madison. We got married at the campus catholic church. I never knew there were any civic requirements because the priest took care of all that bureaucracy.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Timeline
The first time I got married, it was to a USC in Madison. We got married at the campus catholic church. I never knew there were any civic requirements because the priest took care of all that bureaucracy.

Priests, Rabbi's, Ministers, even attorneys can be certified by the state to perform the marriage ceremony and will be legal providing they, and required by law, is to register your marriage to your county courthouse. I know it's an exciting and an emotional day, but read the certificate very carefully for any errors or typos before signing it as that can cause major delays and hope the person marrying you files it in a timely manner. You will need copies of that certificate for the USCIS, WI law does not permit you to make copies. You can get copies if that is the correct word, they all look original from your court house, recommend getting six. If in AOS, consumes about three, one if you register your marriage in your spouse's country, have to bring in the original to your interview, even though they have an original. Need to show to the DVM and SS for a name change of your female spouse, good to carry one if you travel abroad, and one you can hang on the wall.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I live in a smaller town, Madison sucks, big time. As a Wisconsin resident, you have to get your marriage license in your county or face up to a $10,000.00 fine, and if you think the USCIS wants proof you are free to marry, they should take lessons from Wisconsin to become true b@stards. Every county in this state has different fees and different rules

No kidding. The fee is $115 (vs. $30 in Chicago). Also there is SIX day waiting period after applying! Finally, the lady that handles the apps at the clerks office is a shining example of our tax dollars hard at work. A real jerk through and through. Avoid getting married in Dane county for these and other reasons.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.