VanessaTony

Australian Beneficiaries - Packet 3 to Interview date

1,038 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
hey Vanessa and everyone watching this thread.. i had my medical today with Dr Charles in Melbourne.. another success!

here is my story... http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218704

Added a reply AND added your thread to my watch list.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my approval yesterday so this post is going to be so much help now as I begin this part of the journey!

Thank you so much for spending the time to document it all.

Regards

Jason

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

for those in melbourne, on the panel link is says this;

Dr. Ralph Poppenbeek; Effective October 30, 2009: Dr. Poppenbeek resigns his position as panel physician.

Timeline

Dr. Ralph Poppenbeek; Effective October 30, 2009: Dr. Poppenbeek resigns his position as panel physician.

Oh wow. Thanks for the info! That means the Dr. Charles will be FLOODED! Have you had/booked your appt yet?

Timeline

-- UPDATE - SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER (SSN) --

Okay, well firstly I should start by saying that this mix up was all my fault so I take full responsibility :)

Here's what happened --- Okay, so when I got P3, I was told to fill in DS-230 Part 1. I was never told NOT to fill in part 2, so I did anyway just in case they needed it later and because that form doesn't saved typed data so I thought "what's the harm?". Okay, so you NEVER need Part 2 if you're doing K1 because it's only for married people. Either way, because I filled it in, and ticked the box that said "yes to SSN" I FORGOT that I never actually submitted this form.. so of course the SSN wouldn't be coming.. :S Also, I remembered reading in a thread that my arrival would just "trigger" the SSN and I'd receive it in 2 weeks. Not the case.. YOU MUST APPLY FOR YOUR SSN IN PERSON AT THE SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE IF YOU WANT IT!!!

Here's a link already on VJ about applying for an SSN: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

-- My Experience --

I got to thinking last week about SSN's 'cause I read in a forum about this person that had trouble with it. If you read the link about it will tell you that YOU need to print the section of the Social Security Rules that talks about K1 visas because in order to get a SSN you need to have a work Visa, EAD etc EXCEPT if you're on K1 and a few other kinds (there's a link IN the link about that tells you what visas are included in this rule). Also, I read somewhere that after marriage (could have been in these rules or something) that I can't apply for an SSN until I have my EAD (which can take a while) because i'm of course no longer K1 and no longer exempt for the "need work permission" rule. Apparently not all SS officers know the K1 rule and that's why you print the paperwork from THEIR rules so they can see it, and it will speed things up. ALSO, you need to wait 2 weeks before applying so you're in the system (it says it all in the link above :D)

Applying for an SSN is free but it CAN take up some time. Anyway, here's my experience.

--- MY EXPERIENCE AT THE SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE ---

So over the weekend I bought a printer (we'd need one for all the AOS stuff anyway) and printed all the things the link I posted told me to.

On Wednesday my fiance had the day off work so we drove to the social security office in our area (go to www.socialsecurity.gov and click on find an office) with all the paperwork I printed (form signed) and my passport, birth certificate, Aussie drivers licence etc (the form said I needed lots of ID and proof of age).

I arrived at the office and proceeded to the "card centre" and there was a touch screen self-check-in desk. I touched "applying for a new card" and a little receipt printed and it told me to take a seat in "section b" (which was the card centre, the main SS office was "section a".

We waited maybe 1/2 hour to an hour (we played iPhone games so I really don't know) before our number was called.

The lady was really nice and I handed her my form. She asked me several times if I had ever had an SSN before. I told her no each time. She typed up everything on my form onto her computer, asked to see my passport, the I-94 and visa (the last two are IN my passport so no drama). She typed some more things, printed a form for me to check my answers and that was it!!! I'm serious, that was IT. She already knew about the K1 rule, didn't ask for any other forms of ID or proof of age (though had I not bought them you know I would have needed them).

She then asked if I would like a receipt. I said yes and she printed off another piece of paper that had my name and the date I applied. It also said that my card should arrive in 2 weeks and if I don't get it that I need to take THAT receipt to the SS office to find out what's going on. I'll let you all know (and put in my signature) when I get it :)

------

Some of you might be wondering why I need an SSN now. I'm getting married in Iowa and according to their info I need an SSN. Now of course they're probably talking ONLY about US citizens but because I heard the card is harder to get, then I figured what's the harm.

Also, some of you might remember someone wrote above about how you're technically allowed to work while on K1... this is TRUE!! It's all in the SS rule that's posted in the link about. It says that while we're allowed to, that the employer STILL might want you to wait till you have an EAD, just in case. I'm not in a position to work at the moment, and I'd have to STOP working once I'm married and until I get the EAD (out of K1 status :P) so I can't really be bothered wasting the time looking for a job when I'll just have to quit it for a month or two anyway :)

So there you go. Another thing to add to the list of things to do. Remember to wait TWO weeks before you apply because you won't be on their system. Apparently you can apply anyway but the process will take longer while they manually confirm your status etc.

Good luck to you all and congratulations to all those who have progressed!

Oh wow. Thanks for the info! That means the Dr. Charles will be FLOODED! Have you had/booked your appt yet?

wow lucky i did mine when i did huh?!?!!

and thanks for the SSN info. i was wondering about that.

i am at a hault at the moment.. ugh. still waiting on the IV bill and IV approval to send the final packet before my case is transferred and interview assigned. god i hope it is done this month.. at least the assigning i mean. our 1 yr anniversary is mid november and i was soooo hoping to get there by then... or at least thanksgiving... it makes me so sad to think i might not get there in time!

hows the wedding planning going V?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I just booked my medical with Dr Charles in Melbourne for October 12...lucky i got in while i did!

TIMELINE:

December, 2008 - Started talking on plentyoffish.com

March 25, 2009 - Left Australia to to meet her

March 28, 2009 - Finally met in person!!

April 30, 2009 - Engaged

May 4, 2009 - Returned to Australia

June 26, 2009 - Filed I-129F

July 6, 2009 - NOA1 Received

July 25 - August 12, 2009 - Janet visited Simon is Australia for 2 and a half magical weeks. Met the family and is loved by all of them! :)

September 18, 2009 - NOA2!!!!!

September 28, 2009 - NVC Received

October 1, 2009 - NVC Sent

October 7, 2009 - Consulate Received

October 14, 2009 - Medical

October 17, 2009 - December 8 - Simon visiting Janet in the U.S

December 11, 2009 - Packet 3 sent

December 18, 2009 - Packet 4 received

January 12, 2010 - Interview date

January 14 2010 - Visa Received

January 23 2010 - US Entry

February 7 2010 - Marriage

yeah for next friday :) could have had it monday but thats when i'm doing the police check lol

Timeline

yeah for next friday :) could have had it monday but thats when i'm doing the police check lol

YAY!! We're all coming along nicely and that's very good to read :) I know you have NOA2... you have P3 yet? How are things going? Let us know when you have your appt :)

I just booked my medical with Dr Charles in Melbourne for October 12...lucky i got in while i did!

Congratulations! I hope you have a good experience like the rest of us did :)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

wow lucky i did mine when i did huh?!?!!

and thanks for the SSN info. i was wondering about that.

i am at a hault at the moment.. ugh. still waiting on the IV bill and IV approval to send the final packet before my case is transferred and interview assigned. god i hope it is done this month.. at least the assigning i mean. our 1 yr anniversary is mid november and i was soooo hoping to get there by then... or at least thanksgiving... it makes me so sad to think i might not get there in time!

hows the wedding planning going V?

*Fingers crossed* that you get your things in time. You have a little over a month, I'm hoping for you!!

Good thanks! I'm addressing the last of the invites today. My photographer is REALLY slack at returning email but I hope as we get closer she gets better. I have to fly up to Iowa (where we're getting married) 2 weeks before the wedding.

I'm much happier now the SSN stuff is sorted as well. There's just so many "little things" to worry about. I was just reading a story about a person that missed their biometrics appointment. I'm telling you right now that I will not be moving from my mailbox once I apply for AOS :P lol.

Aside from all of that things are going well. Anyone else have updates?

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Thanks for the SSN info Vanessa. That part of the procedure is a little bit vague to me :unsure:

Hope everythings going well for you! Quick update for me: We got the packet 3 last week. I've done the police check and have my medical this week (it was set for the 12th but they managed to squeeze me in on the 7th)

Once that's done and my fiance's originals get to me, we'll be ready to send it all off. Brian is coming to visit in November and it would be ideal if he was at the interview with me :)

Can you tell me if you pay the $131 fee and put the receipt in the packet 3 documents, or do you bring it to the embassy on the interview day?

Hope you're all having a good long weekend! Did anyone else forget to change their clocks? LOL

OUR TIMELINE

Feb 20 2010 - The Wedding :D

AOS

Mar 26 2010 - Sent AOS

Apr 8 2010 - Rec NOAs for AOS/EAD/AP

May 3 2010 - Original Biometrics Appointment...pfft dont ask...

May 6 2010 - AOS sent to CSC

Jun 11 2010 - Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment

Jun 2010 - Rec EAD & AP

Jul 7 2010 - notification of GC Card Production & Welcome Letter (text messages and emails)

Jul 19 2010 - Rec GC

LIFTING CONDITIONS

Apr 25 2012 - File date

Apr 30 2012 - NOA rec

May 31 2012 - Biometrics taken

Dec 18 2012 - notification of Green Card Production (text message and email)

DEC 21 2012 - Rec GC

event.png

Timeline
Thanks for the SSN info Vanessa. That part of the procedure is a little bit vague to me :unsure:

Hope everythings going well for you! Quick update for me: We got the packet 3 last week. I've done the police check and have my medical this week (it was set for the 12th but they managed to squeeze me in on the 7th)

Once that's done and my fiance's originals get to me, we'll be ready to send it all off. Brian is coming to visit in November and it would be ideal if he was at the interview with me :)

Can you tell me if you pay the $131 fee and put the receipt in the packet 3 documents, or do you bring it to the embassy on the interview day?

Hope you're all having a good long weekend! Did anyone else forget to change their clocks? LOL

Congrats on getting P3! I hope you're fiance is able to come to your interview with you. My interview was within 3 weeks of sending off P3 so even if you don't have him for interview (which honestly doesn't matter for the interview). Also, side note, you need to put on the form from P3 whether you will be attending by yourself or with others.

The receipt is the MOST impt thing. I was so scared of losing the little square piece of paper!! lol. You do NOT send it, it comes with you to the interview, and they ask for it when you are first "interviewed". It will say with your P4 info what you need to take with you to the interview. Super easy stuff.

God luck with getting your fiance's originals ASAP. It's so very close to the end of the first part of the journey for you and I remember the feeling. I remember sitting in the foyer of the US embassy after the interview thinking "wow.. it's over, i fly out soon".. lol. It's so hard to believe it's already been more than a fortnight (which by the way isn't a term used in the states apparently.. fortnight that is :P).

Keep me updated :) I didn't know about the time change /sigh. That changes the time difference with Australia. Clocks went forward right??

Timeline

Hi guys :)

just thought I would let you all know that I received my SSN today!! Very happy with the quick and painless process. I have emailed the card details to my mum in Australia for safe-keeping (just in case I lose my card.. my mum is my Power of Attorney "just in case") and i'll give my fiance the number too "just in case". Very happy :D :D Getting more American each day :D

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

You are a great help to those Aussies following you Vanessa :D thanks!!!!

I'm hoping to get packet 3 very soon as the package was sent from NVC late last week to Sydney

awesome Vanessa! now you can go work hehehe :)

hey guys, i got my DS3032 accepted for the CR1 which means i can now pay my interview bill and send my final package over then CASE COMPLETE and i will have an interview in Sydney!

oh my god its too exciting being this close now!!! :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.