ioukta

hmm what if.... we let the date to get married pass by?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

We're this close to send the package, I'd say few weeks a month tops.

I was wondering, I'm the French fiancee and i know i have 6 months to move to the US from the time i have the visa.... what if... I don't go in 6 months?

*If i let the date pass by what happens? and how do i go about trying to get another visa with the same person? or can i ask for more time?

Here's the deal, my fiance and i want to get married, but we believe in being saved before getting married. Not only that, but we believe in receiving the Holy Ghost to get saved. And that will be all God's timing.

Now on the practical side : what happens if we're not both saved yet when the date to move comes? We want to try now cause it takes so much time for the papers anyway that we think we'll probably be saved by then. But if not, and since we want to get married together we'll try again another fiance visa...

*the fact we petitioned already does it change anything for the second time around?

*the fact it's cause of dates and timeframes instead of being denied the visa does it change something?

So yeah there are my questions with the (*).

Of course this is not an open debate on religion lool just looking for practical answers

Thank you so much for your help everybody, i love this forum it's a gold mine

Aurelie

F1, waiting for April 2006 PD to be CURRENT !! fingers crossed for sept. 10th , at least 2011!! ok 2012 ???!!!

Case was completed SEPT 2010 a friggin' year and a half ago !!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I was wondering, I'm the French fiancee and i know i have 6 months to move to the US from the time i have the visa.... what if... I don't go in 6 months?

*If i let the date pass by what happens? and how do i go about trying to get another visa with the same person? or can i ask for more time?

Here's the deal, my fiance and i want to get married, but we believe in being saved before getting married. Not only that, but we believe in receiving the Holy Ghost to get saved. And that will be all God's timing.

Now on the practical side : what happens if we're not both saved yet when the date to move comes? We want to try now cause it takes so much time for the papers anyway that we think we'll probably be saved by then. But if not, and since we want to get married together we'll try again another fiance visa...

*the fact we petitioned already does it change anything for the second time around?

*the fact it's cause of dates and timeframes instead of being denied the visa does it change something?

Of course this is not an open debate on religion lool just looking for practical answers

Aurelie

From the date of petition is filing, to issuance of visa takes about seven months...isn't that enough time to be saved? :unsure:

Once you have the visa in hand, you have 6 months to use it (move to the US) and once here, 90 days to marry...i don't think there's a way to extend the 6 month visa validity. Your option may be to postpone the date of the visa interview, if you're not ready, or postpone the issuance of the visa. Both of these are issues which you should discuss with the visa issuing consulate.

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Timeline
From the date of petition is filing, to issuance of visa takes about seven months...isn't that enough time to be saved? :unsure:

Once you have the visa in hand, you have 6 months to use it (move to the US) and once here, 90 days to marry...i don't think there's a way to extend the 6 month visa validity. Your option may be to postpone the date of the visa interview, if you're not ready, or postpone the issuance of the visa. Both of these are issues which you should discuss with the visa issuing consulate.

Oh we're 90% sure it'll be enough, but i'm a big time worrier and planner and personal assistant extraordinaire looool i just want to make sure i know what to do in case of virtually anything

I need to know the what ifs

so u mention postpone the interview ? how can i do thaT? or the insuance, i'm sorry i'm very new, how would i do that? write to someone? at my embassy in Paris we can't ask questions on the phone, well we can but it costs 15 Euros or for free u need an appointment, u suggest i do thaT? or wait until i'm contacted for the interview? or somehting?

F1, waiting for April 2006 PD to be CURRENT !! fingers crossed for sept. 10th , at least 2011!! ok 2012 ???!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hello,

Aurelie

I'm no expert, but I'd say wait until you've been 'saved' and then start the process. (I'm not quite sure what the heck that means though? Can you enlighten me/us?) I'd figure if you're not at a stage in your life where you want to/can get married... wait until you're there, then start the process rather than second guessing timing. Saying that you "think" you'll "probably" be saved by then just sounds a little risky to me.

I'm very much like you... I plan ahead for anything and everything. I just think the best plan would be to wait until you're 'saved' and then go for it... that way you won't have any nagging doubts in the back of your mind and would minimise any chance of problems down the line.

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

Timeline
I'm no expert, but I'd say wait until you've been 'saved' and then start the process. (I'm not quite sure what the heck that means though? Can you enlighten me/us?) I'd figure if you're not at a stage in your life where you want to/can get married... wait until you're there, then start the process rather than second guessing timing. Saying that you "think" you'll "probably" be saved by then just sounds a little risky to me.

I'm very much like you... I plan ahead for anything and everything. I just think the best plan would be to wait until you're 'saved' and then go for it... that way you won't have any nagging doubts in the back of your mind and would minimise any chance of problems down the line.

We've thought of that, but we are at a point in our lives when we can't wait to get married, both 28 together for almost 4 years. we might get married before getting saved we don't know for sure yet, i just want to make sure we know our choices.

I really mean 90% sure we'll be fine. (Being saved for us is having the indwelling of the Holy Ghost, basically we follow scriptures)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello,

Aurelie

The visa expires and it is not valid to enter the USA. You lose.

You can re-petition, ask for a waiver (2nd petition within 2 years) and repeat the process. No, that you let it expire changes nothing.

That said. Why would you do that?????????? You can postpone the interview to postpone the visa issuance to coincide with your plans, a 6 month window ought to do the trick.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We've thought of that, but we are at a point in our lives when we can't wait to get married, both 28 together for almost 4 years. we might get married before getting saved we don't know for sure yet, i just want to make sure we know our choices.

I really mean 90% sure we'll be fine. (Being saved for us is having the indwelling of the Holy Ghost, basically we follow scriptures)

Yeah, well, whatever. Sounds like a tough choice. "Saved" or not, the visa expires 6 months from issuance so decide what is more important to you and go with it. If you choose your religious convictions over the visa process then be a good Christian soldier and don't whine about it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I hear God is accepting requests for an expedite... :innocent:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
Yeah, well, whatever. Sounds like a tough choice. "Saved" or not, the visa expires 6 months from issuance so decide what is more important to you and go with it. If you choose your religious convictions over the visa process then be a good Christian soldier and don't whine about it.

um who's whining?

i only asked questions on how to go about it a second time around, just like anyone who would have missed their date for any other reasons.

Thank u for answering mine partially. u mentioned postponing the interview, how would i do that? can you tell me?

@ JimVaPhuong hehe u never know I just might ask for that once everything else is clear lol

um who's whining?

i only asked questions on how to go about it a second time around, just like anyone who would have missed their date for any other reasons.

Thank u for answering mine partially. u mentioned postponing the interview, how would i do that? can you tell me?

@ JimVaPhuong hehe u never know I just might ask for that once everything else is clear lol

Yeah, that isn't going to work.

If your not sure of the timing, then perhaps you should hold off doing the visa application till you are sure. It will probably save you money down the road.

So - get "saved" first - then file.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

Ok please dear kind people

let's focus here

I'm not asking for advice on my plans or reasons lol I have them and we ARE well aware of the waste of time or money... but this is NOT what i asked

i asked how would i go about either pushing the date on the same visa or redoing the same thing over again, if the fact we were accepted before counts or not

had it been any other reason like a sick relative or moving problem no one would have said anything lol the first part is not what i need help with, that's between me and my fiance lol

now that this is clear

i keep hearing about the interview, i don't even know how that comes about? a letter? a phone call? I have the choice of the date to an extent? that could be good

Filed: Timeline

Like folks told uou --- wait to file until you are ready. The interview will come once you have submitted all your paperwork and whatnot. You can ask for a later interview as well; but once the visa is issued your have a set amount of time to use it --- I don't believe there are extensions on that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Ok please dear kind people

let's focus here

I'm not asking for advice on my plans or reasons lol I have them and we ARE well aware of the waste of time or money... but this is NOT what i asked

i asked how would i go about either pushing the date on the same visa or redoing the same thing over again, if the fact we were accepted before counts or not

had it been any other reason like a sick relative or moving problem no one would have said anything lol the first part is not what i need help with, that's between me and my fiance lol

now that this is clear

i keep hearing about the interview, i don't even know how that comes about? a letter? a phone call? I have the choice of the date to an extent? that could be good

It's kind of a consulate specific thing. Some consulates give you a date a couple of months out. If you don't like it, you can ask for a different date, and they'll give you one a couple of months later. If you still don't like it, they'll tell you tough luck - only one reschedule.

Other consulates are much more flexible, and will pretty much let you pick any date that works for you. Your best bet is to post the question in the regional forum for Europe and see what other people say about your consulate.

One of the toughest parts about this whole process is that you're at the mercy of the government's schedule, so it's really difficult to make any concrete plans. At any point along the way they can throw up another roadblock - RFE, AP, whatever - that will throw off the timing once again. It's doubly difficult in your case because you're trying to coordinate two floating windows of time. This is why people are recommending you at least get one of these two windows nailed down and taken care of first.

Good luck!

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.