Peter/Lindsey

K-1 Wedding outside US?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Our goal is to marry in Canada (country of non-US citizen), then immigrate to US immediately after wedding. Which course of action would be best for us to file with USCIS, then have our wedding occur in another country, then come right back to the US? Is this possible with a K-1, or any route? It seems like it would be beneficial to file with USCIS during engagement for K-1, then be able to use K-1 immediately after wedding. However, is it a requirement to have the wedding in the United States?

We are unsure if we will fully commit to the K1 process since we are very strongly considering the CR-1 route down the road. Nonetheless, we have filed our I-129F package, and it's history can be found below.

Our K1 timeline..

Date format: MM/DD/YY

07/12/09 : First Preparation of I-129F Package

08/05/09 : Final Preparation of I-129F Package

08/06/09 : I-129F Sent (Zion, IL)

08/08/09 : I-129F Received (Laguna Niguel, CA)

--/--/-- : I-129F NOA1

--/--/-- : Check Cashed

--/--/-- : I-129F NOA2

--/--/-- : NVC Received

--/--/-- : NVC Left

--/--/-- : Consulate Received

--/--/-- : Packet 3 Received

--/--/-- : Packet 3 Sent

--/--/-- : Packet 4 Received

--/--/-- : Medical

--/--/-- : Interview Date (Montreal)

--/--/-- : Visa Received

--/--/-- : US Entry

--/--/-- : SSN Request

--/--/-- : SSN Received

--/--/-- : Marriage

--/--/-- : File for AOS/EAD/AP

Our goal is to marry in Canada (country of non-US citizen), then immigrate to US immediately after wedding. Which course of action would be best for us to file with USCIS, then have our wedding occur in another country, then come right back to the US? Is this possible with a K-1, or any route? It seems like it would be beneficial to file with USCIS during engagement for K-1, then be able to use K-1 immediately after wedding. However, is it a requirement to have the wedding in the United States?

Yes, the K1 Visa is a single-entry Visa into the US as a fiance, so it would be a requirement to get married after having crossed the border.

If your intent is to get married outside of the US, K3 or CR1 would be your options.

Edited by Sam and Ben

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

You have a couple of options:

Get the K1 visa

Enter the US

Have a courthouse/paperwork wedding

File for AOS/AP(/EAD)

Receive AP

Go to Canada, and have a big party with a floofy dress.

Come back to the US.

Get married in Canada

Enter the US with your Canadian spouse on a tourist visa (entrance not guaranteed - read the visiting FAQ.)

File I130 (CR-1 visa) - maybe this one before entry.

At end of tourist visa/approval, spouse returns to Canada

Complete CR-1 processing in Canada

Enter the US as an LPR.

There is NO legal way to get married in Canada and immediately come back to the US permanently.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Only a fiance(e) can use a K1 visa, so if the marriage is to be in Canada, K1 is not an option. Please start with this guide.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide1

Note: When you see references to the K3 visa, bear in mind that it is virtually obsolete. CR1 is the path for all but a few rare exceptions, at this time.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Is it possible to have a small ceremony for family that is not a legal in-paper marriage before going to the US?

Sure, as long as the "ceremony" isn't conducted by an authorized officiant. It's a "fiance" visa.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Definitely won't be an authorized one, my family just wants something to see me off. This makes me glad, because I am waiting on the consulate to call me back about this question too, so I will update if they call me back and anyone is still wondering for the Canadian rules for an unofficial ceremony. Thanks for your help, pushbrk.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

As stated, you can have a ceremony in Canada before you come to the US, but it's often not a good idea to do this before you have the interview as sometimes the guys at the consulate get confused and think that you tried to get married. My recomendation is to wait to get the visa, have the NON LEGAL ceremony in Canada and then come to the US. Usually if you show them pictures of your 'non legal wedding ceremony' during the interview they get confused and it can cause you some problems, so that's not usually recommended. But if you get the visa first, then have the ceremony, then you wont run into those problems.

Good luck

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unfortunately the information you have been given is true. I was in the same situation myself. I wanted to get married in Canada with my family, but I also wanted to be in the US with my fiance as soon as possible. I was also against the idea of having a "fake" or "mock" wedding in Canada or anywhere else. In the end we filed the K-1 and decided to have the wedding in the US. My Canadian family that can make it is coming, and the others who won't or can't travel unfortunately will have to miss out.

Just be aware of your options that have already been laid out for you.

K-1

Enter the US as a fiance, marry, have a celebration in Canada after. OR, have a non legal wedding in Canada before moving to the US, that has some possible dangers as some have suggested. Since you are going through Montreal, you could be with you fiance in 6-9 months.

CR-1 or K-3

Marry in Canada (or the US) and file a fiance visa. This could take a year.

Probably not what you wanted to hear! I wish you luck. Its not an easy process but its a rewarding one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Can't do it. The only way you can marry outside the USA is then to apply for a CR-1 AFTER you get married. The K-1 is for a finacee to enter the USA, if you are married she is not a fiancee. with a K-1 you MUST get married in the USA. After she has her Ap or Green Card you can return to Canada and have another more formal ceremony if you want.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.