Vani

Travelling after getting the Green Card

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

First of all, sorry if I posted this in the wrong section... Didn't really know where I could post this.

I was wondering if you need any special documents in prior to traveling after getting your Green Card (kind of like Advanced Parole).

I heard you need a Passport (I have a Canadian one, non-expired). Anything else? Like all my forms that I've filled and letters that I've received from DHS/USCIS? I have them all in a folder, so should I travel with them?

This is a road trip so it shouldn't be as strict as airport security (or not).

I went up to Canada 2 years ago with my husband (was then fiance), and when I entered the US (I'm Canadian) the officer asked me loads of questions :wacko:

So anyways, can I travel/return to USA safely now since I have my green card? I will only be leaving for a few days.

Thanks a bunch :star:

K1-Visa in Montreal, Canada.

4/07 - Filed the I-129 F [Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)] Along with Bio forms [G-325a for both of us]

6/07 - Forms got resent back to my Fiance because I forgot to sign some papers. [silly me]

11/28/07 - Got my K1-Packet 3!!! It was a headache to fill in the papers.

2/15/08 - Sent all documents and forms through express! I was close to the expiration date

3/27/08 - Interview letter!!! I was in the US with my Fiance so I couldn't come back in time, rescheduled appointment.

4/24/08 - Got my interview done :) Approved! Passport+visa+brown envelope will be sent within a week.

5/1/08 - Got my Visa!

~ Flying to US on 6/11/08.

~June 19 2008- Married!!!

7/25/08 - Sent in AOS: I-485 along with EAD, AP.

8/7/08 - EAD, AP, AOS touched.

8/19/08 - Got an RFE for I-485... Fixing it.

8/22/08 - Biometrics taken in Portland.

10/08 - Another Bio (for work authorization card).

-- received my work authorization card and advance parole papers in meantime--

1/15/09 - AOS INTERVIEW *faints* in Seattle, Washington.

2/2/09 - Green Card!

.png

me and my hubby went to canada 2 months ago and i just showed my passport and greencard..

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

N400 Timeline:

4/14/12- 3rd yr as PR

1/17/12- mailed packet

Biometrics-- waived

4/25/12- interview- passed & took my oath the same day!!-- US Citizen!!!

My N400 Journey took 3months & 8days!:)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

If your passport has your maiden name and your greencard has your married name, take your marriage certificate, just in case they question the name difference.

29/06/2004 Met online

24/10/2004- Officially started dating!

-Various Trips Between the USA and Scotland-

25/12/2007- Steven Proposed, and gave me a lovely Ring!

29/02/2008- Sent I-129F to VSC

22/09/2008-1pm - Recieved Visa!

04/11/2008 -Steven comes back to Scotland for the Celebrations!

09/11/2008- We return home together!

23/01/2009- Wedding!!!

Your I-129f was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.

Preparing AOS Forms.

09/4/2009- Sent AOS

11/4/2009- Received and signed for

20/4/2009- Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP (Dated April 17th)

20/4/2009- USCIS cashed check for $1010

09/5/2009- Biometrics

11/5/2009- Case transferred to CSC

05/6/2009- Received AP

09/6/2009- Received EAD

22/7/2009- Approved!

27/7/2009- Greencard in Hand

Removal of Conditions.

15/5/2011- Received @ VSC

23/5/2011-NOA1

12/07/2011- Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello all,

First of all, sorry if I posted this in the wrong section... Didn't really know where I could post this.

I was wondering if you need any special documents in prior to traveling after getting your Green Card (kind of like Advanced Parole).

I heard you need a Passport (I have a Canadian one, non-expired). Anything else? Like all my forms that I've filled and letters that I've received from DHS/USCIS? I have them all in a folder, so should I travel with them?

This is a road trip so it shouldn't be as strict as airport security (or not).

I went up to Canada 2 years ago with my husband (was then fiance), and when I entered the US (I'm Canadian) the officer asked me loads of questions :wacko:

So anyways, can I travel/return to USA safely now since I have my green card? I will only be leaving for a few days.

Thanks a bunch :star:

Yes. We live 6 miles from Canada and go there often, Montreal is just an hour drive. My wife uses only her green card coming and going. An LPR with a green card does NOT need a passport to enter Canada and return to the US. My wife never takes her passport when we go. Being that you are a Canadian citizen, you could certainly use the passport, but it is not necessary.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline

Great advise. I gave similar advise to my son. He was running red lights all the time and when I told him that the law requires him to wait at at red light, he told me that he was never stopped and told otherwise. He's taking the bus now . . .

The law now requires every person (don't know about extraterrestrials), US citizens and even Canadian citizens, to carry a passport (or passport card) when entering the US, by air and or by land. If you experienced otherwise, you may be up for a surprise next time.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Other Timeline

double post. Deleted.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Your response is a very cute, but WRONG! Gary and Alla are correct. The WHTI requires a Passport book/card or WHTI-compliant travel document. The I-551, aka green card is a WHTI-complaint document for a lawful permanent resident. See here under Lawful Permanent Resident: http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/#0

WHTI which went into effect for land crossing on June 1, 2009 requires that there be a RFID chip based document (passport, passport card, or in NY that includes an enhanced drivers license for those that don't want to carry a passport or get a separate passport card). Green card has the chip, so holders do not need a passport.

For further general info on WHTI, you can visit this link: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

So to further your analogy, your son can run those red lights if he is driving an ambulance with a patient inside and his siren and lights are on.

Great advise. I gave similar advise to my son. He was running red lights all the time and when I told him that the law requires him to wait at at red light, he told me that he was never stopped and told otherwise. He's taking the bus now . . .

The law now requires every person (don't know about extraterrestrials), US citizens and even Canadian citizens, to carry a passport (or passport card) when entering the US, by air and or by land. If you experienced otherwise, you may be up for a surprise next time.

Edited by Urge To Race

03/12/2007 - Married to my beautiful wife

04/16/2007 - Sent I-130 to VSC via USPS Express Mail

05/12/2007 - NOA1 received by snail mail after a loooong wait

05/14/2007 - Sent I-129F for K3 to Chicago Lockbox via USPS Express Mail

10/22/2007 - I129F APPROVED (161 days), I130 APPROVED (188 days)

11/08/2007 - I129F received at NVC, embassy case number generated.

11/13/2007 - I129F forwarded to embassy.

11/18/2007 - 129F petition received at embassy

01/09/2008 - finally, DOS gives me the interview date, April 16, 2007 (ouch)

01/23/2008 - never got packet 4, emailed embassy

04/11/2008 - picked up packet 4, did medical

04/14/2008 - medical report pickup, no problems

04/16/2008 - interview date- APPROVED!!!!!

04/18/2008 - both of us are home at last, POE JFK!

05/21/2008 - sent AOS and EAD

05/27/2008 - received NOA1 for AOS and for EAD

06/02/2008 - received Biometrics appt letter

06/19/2008 - Biometrics appointment scheduled - DONE

06/19/2008 - both AOS and EAD touched because of biometrics

07/29/2008 - EAD approved.

05/13/2009 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!/ Card production ordered email

05/18/2009 - Welcome Letter received

06/12/2009 - Second card production ordered email

06/19/2009 - Approval notice send email

06/22/2009 - Green Card received

04/09/2012 - Applied for Citizenship by Express Mailing N400 to NBC

04/10/2012 - N400 received by USCIS

06/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/27/2012 - Appointment scheduled for N400 interview

09/05/2012 - Interview passed, oath ceremony completed, and Naturalization certificate received.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

hey guys whats better getting the plane ticket in the maiden name which is the passport or married name which is the green card?

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.