steven_brenda

Entered a spouse visa but being abused

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys,

I've got a friend who entered in the US as a spouse visa. She is now a 2 year greencard holder and i need to help her on how and what to do so she cant able to go back to the philippines because she is emotionally and sexually abused by her husband. Now, im trying to help her because i really feel sad for her and im worried alot for her. She told about what happened and that makes me worry about her situation.

What should she do so she can still stay in the US....?????

Plz guys i need your help asap.....

Thanks!!!

Filed: Timeline

She has permanent residency so she is free to remove herself from the abuse and remove conditions without her petitioner, as long as she has sufficient evidence of a bonafide marriage.

Hey guys,

I've got a friend who entered in the US as a spouse visa. She is now a 2 year greencard holder and i need to help her on how and what to do so she cant able to go back to the philippines because she is emotionally and sexually abused by her husband. Now, im trying to help her because i really feel sad for her and im worried alot for her. She told about what happened and that makes me worry about her situation.

What should she do so she can still stay in the US....?????

Plz guys i need your help asap.....

Thanks!!!

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

She didnt want to go back to the Philippines and we're trying to find some ways that she can still saty in the US but away with her husband. I never thought it would happened like this for her. How can we change her status and being still legal to stay here in the US? Her 2yr greencard will expire next year. I would not state all the details about how she's being abused emotionally and sexually but believe me if I am in her situation it really scares me and might be the worst thing that happened in my life.... What should we do so she can still stay in the US if ever she would stay away to her husband???

Thanks!!

She is free to return to PI any time she wishes - what sort of help are you asking for?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why doesn't she want to go back to the RP, the place Filipinos seem to be so proud of? Just wondering because if I were her, I'd get home ASAP.... back to family, friends and familiar food. Just imagine, the plane getting ready to land in Manila, back home, wow, what a feeling, jumping for joy, crying happy tears.... family, friend, familiar food yummy!

It is stressful in the US better to go back home.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Sad to hear about her situation..only i can suggest is remind her what the CFO personnel said during her seminar and she can do self-petition.

" If we could live life all over again,we would still choose each other.If we are reborn to second life, we would marry each other again,we are persons with one heart,one soul,the same dreams and aspiration."

Timeline

Well, she doesnt want to go back to the Philippines coz she has her grandmother that needs her financial support too. But it doesnt mean that is what she's after of to get here but she really loves her husband, she was a very devoted wife and did everything for her husband but she mistreated her. She thought she would never get happy because what she had experienced in the Philippines is almost same here though it was her relatives who mistreated her in the PI. She dont have a parents anymore. Waht she had experienced since she was 15 years old was almost very sad moment for her. I know all of that coz we've talked about it and told me everything. She's absolutely a very nice person that's why i want to help her. she was being a great wife for her husband. Everybody here who knows them said that she is.

I remember in the CFO seminar that you can complain and file for removing conditions, stuff like that if you have enough eveidences or proof???? But i dont know what's the first step to do.

Thanks guys!!!

Well, she doesnt want to go back to the Philippines coz she has her grandmother that needs her financial support too. But it doesnt mean that is what she's after of to get here but she really loves her husband, she was a very devoted wife and did everything for her husband but she mistreated her. She thought she would never get happy because what she had experienced in the Philippines is almost same here though it was her relatives who mistreated her in the PI. She dont have a parents anymore. Waht she had experienced since she was 15 years old was almost very sad moment for her. I know all of that coz we've talked about it and told me everything. She's absolutely a very nice person that's why i want to help her. she was being a great wife for her husband. Everybody here who knows them said that she is.

I remember in the CFO seminar that you can complain and file for removing conditions, stuff like that if you have enough eveidences or proof???? But i dont know what's the first step to do.

Thanks guys!!!

You are probably talking about VAWA. Do a google search on this.

Nice that they actually have seminars prior to people coming here so they know how to stay in the US. Your friend should of went through the same seminar and should know this info.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Timeline

VAWA doesn't pertain here since the alien already has permanent residency. If she can demonstrate that her intentions when entering the marriage were bonafide, then she can divorce and self-petition to remove conditions as soonas she has a divorce decree.

Thanks guys!!!

You are probably talking about VAWA. Do a google search on this.

Nice that they actually have seminars prior to people coming here so they know how to stay in the US. Your friend should of went through the same seminar and should know this info.

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
She can do either of these:

1. Go back home.

2. Divorce the dude and file herself for removal of conditions, proving her marriage was bona fide and not an attempt to circumvent US immigration law.

:thumbs:

Those are the two options. Simple as that. Return to PI or divorce and remove conditions proving the marriage was the real deal.

Well, she doesnt want to go back to the Philippines coz she has her grandmother that needs her financial support too.

:blink:

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm not sure if I've got all the details right, but you're saying she's still got her conditional 2-year green card?

As far as I know, if she wants to be able to stay here, she has the option to divorce him, and then file a form that would allow her to get the conditions on her green card lifted herself as long as she can prove the marriage was entered into on good faith. Do some research on the "I-751" form, I think that might be the one she might be able to use.

Documentation is probably the key word here. I'm hoping there are joint assets with her name on them? Things like leases/deeds, joint bank accounts, car titles, bills, etc. showing joint ownership. She will need to gather things like this and have them as proof. Also, I think the waiver requires affidavits from people willing to testify to the validity of the marriage through their own observations. That could be you, and other friends/family that have seen them together as a married couple.

If she's being abused, has there been any police involvement? If so, copies of police reports would be a good thing to have too.

Again, I'm not entirely clear on her situation and the specifics, and I have never dealt directly with the I-751 procedure, I thought that might just be a lead to follow. Whatever the situation is, I would think the first move would probably be to divorce this guy as soon as possible, and do whatever she can to ensure her safety. If he's a dangerously violent individual and possessive, staying or going from the U.S. would be a moot point if this guy will hurt her. Maybe she should get out of there, find somewhere to go where it's safe, and make an infopass appointment or something to discuss her options.

Hope maybe some of this was helpful. Good luck and I hope your friend gets through this.

MY TIMELINE:

MAY 2004: Met Online

NOV 2004: Andy's 1st stay with me in Florida, 3 weeks.

FEB/MAR 2005: Andy's 2nd stay with me in Florida, 1 month

APR/MAY 2005: Andy's 3rd stay with me in Florida, 1 month

OCT 2005-FEB 2006: I stay with Andy in England, 4 1/2 months

* I Proposed on Christmas 2005 & YES!*

MAY-AUG 2006: I stay with Andy in England, 3 1/2 months

AUG 2006: Andy's 4th stay with me in Florida, 3 weeks.

NOV 2006-JAN 2007: Andy's 5th stay with me in Florida, 1 3/4 months

09/05/06: I-129F Packet Sent!!

09/21/06: NOA1 Received.

12/07/06: NOA2 RECEIVED!!! W00t!!!

03/02/07: Sent off final Packet 3 checklist

03/20/07: Received Packet 4 Letter!!!!

INTERVIEW DATE: 04/19/07!!!!

04/19/07 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! APPROVED!!

04/26/07 - Passport w/ visa arrives via courier

Delta Flight arriving with fiance on 05/04/07!!!

05/04/07 - Home at last!!! w0000000t!!

06/01/07 - Our 'first' wedding at the county clerk's office.

09/19/08 - Andy walked out. That total dumb-a$$.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

PI gives these seminars because so many American creeps marry PI women and treat them like slaves.

PI women are treated poorly all over the world. it doesn't matter if they are working in japan, the ME, or india. they get treated like ####### because arrogant people know they will tolerate it for a chance at a decent salary, much of which they send home to support family.

Same thing happens in a surprisingly high number of PI wife marriages. they don't complain too much to people at home because they don't want to dissappoint or be embarrassed. still, everybody knows it, and the gov't tries to protect the expats as much as possible through education and advocacy, no matter what mechanism takes them out of their home country.

sure, lots of guys treat their PI princess really well, but too many PI girls are K1'd into a life of misery with guys who cannot really afford to support a wife, guys who are insecure and will be unreasonably restrictive and jealous of their time, guys who will be demanding of sexuality from a woman who does not feel "safe" in the relationship, guys who are sexually perverse or withholding, guys who ...

some scammers play into this by provoking the division within the relationship, so they have a reason to go 2 years down the road. some provoke violence so they can VAWA sooner. either way, an unreasonably unmatched relationship is easy to tear apart, due to insecurity in one or both parties.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.