Meriem_DZ

For those who have MENA spouses already in the USA.

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I said MENA spouses, but did it so hopefully it will stay in MENA. I welcome responses from anyone. :D

I am just curious if you spouse has gained weight since coming to live in the US. When we were going through the K-1 process, Hachemi lost a few pounds due to the stress of the visa process. I couldn't believe when he stepped off the plane how much weight he had lost since I saw him last. He weighed 140 lbs when he first came to the USA. Now almost 3 yrs later he weighs 172 lbs. He looks so much better since he has filled out more. His family got a computer and internet recently and he stood up on camera so his family could see him and they all busted out laughing. They couldn't believe how much weight he has gained. They think he looks healthy now. LOL. His mom thanked me for cooking for him. I thought that was really sweet of her.

Meriem (F)

Edited by Meriem_setif

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Adam definitely LOST weight. Working over night, stressful manager, and meals are not at certain times since I work all day 6 days a week, plus I never cook like Egyptians anyway. (I think they cook too much food) Hes lost around 10lbs or so since hes been here. His family says hes too thin, but I think he is just fine.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Adam definitely LOST weight. Working over night, stressful manager, and meals are not at certain times since I work all day 6 days a week, plus I never cook like Egyptians anyway. (I think they cook too much food) Hes lost around 10lbs or so since hes been here. His family says hes too thin, but I think he is just fine.

Yep, stress and not eating right will do that to you. In Hachemi's case, he got a lot more exercise back home since he walked everywhere. Now he just hops in his truck and goes.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'll have to wait and see what happens when my husband gets here, but he gained about 20lbs after we got married (while still living in Egypt)... He assured me he wasn't worried about it because "I always gain weight in the winter, then in the summer i work out and lose it fast"... I tried to tell him that his body is not the same now as it was even 4 years ago (he is 34) and that he might have a harder time losing weight so easily. He assured me that no, he knows his body well, and he would do it.

Well, a couple days ago he mentioned that he's been working out a lot and hasn't lost any weight, so he thinks I must be right :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband has not got here yet but he gained weight each time I went to visit him. Of course I told him how he should eat and I made sure that my habibi could eat a nice size portion everyday. But I already prepared him for the weight that he will gain once he is here.

إله الخير المغرب بلد جميل! Hasbunallah wa ni'am al-wakil Tawkkalna Alay Allah

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
My hubby hasn't gained weight, and I wish he would!

Mine too! Usama walks everywhere though since he can't drive yet and doesn't want to wait for the bus. Plus it probably doesn't help that other than his morning double stuffed oreo cookie he only eats one meal a day.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would guess my husband has gained 20 or 25 pounds since he arrived a little over 2 years ago. Like Hachemi, he lost a lot during the stress of the visa process because he didn't eat or sleep very much. His face and arms looked so thin before he arrived that he worried me, and his ribs really showed. He's filled out, in part due to fast food and in part due to driving everywhere. He also lifts free weights, and I think he's at an ideal weight now, but he'd still like to build more muscle. He has a fast metabolism, and he plays soccer as often as he can, so he's not fat, but he may need to be careful as he gets older, though he doesn't have much of a sweet tooth and likes his veggies. :D He'll go home for the first time next week for a quick visit, so I guess I'll hear about his family's reaction to both his weight and his dental work.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

H gained about 5 lbs. while I was in Egypt, and never lost it after I left... He gained about 15 lbs. after getting here because of the inactivity of winter and joblessness, and the boredom and stress of sitting in the house watching tv and eating 24/7... He was eating nuts like a squirrel! He quit smoking just before he came so I'm sure he was eating more related to that too...

He then got DISGUSTED that his jeans from Egypt didn't fit any more so he quit eating nuts, and starting eating an entire Romaine "heart" (lettuce) every night in front of the TV... We got a 6 pack of them from Costco every week and he'd eat one per nigh t CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH!!! He lost all of the weight he had gained, and is back to his "6 pack Abs.."... tehehehehehe

Just amazing to me how quickly he lost it... He went from a 38 waist to a 32 waist in about a month... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr not fair!

I myself lost weight when im getting those documents for my K1 Fiance petition. I cant eat well thinking about those documents, your fiance abroad, and the forthcoming interview from the US Embassy in the Philippines, theres a lot of pressure, and my fiance even booked me a ticket when im not even interviewed yet, that creates a lot of stress to me specially hearing about Filipina's being denied during the interview. But now im here in the US, its a diffrent story... i gained that weight i've lost and gained even more.. hahahhahaha. I guess my mind is at ease now knowing my husband is beside me, even though were still on the process of filing my permanent status here, i take it lightly now knowing i everything will be fine as long as you follow all the instructions needed on filing papers. Take care and best wishes to both of you and your husband.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
My hubby hasn't gained weight, and I wish he would!

Mine too! Usama walks everywhere though since he can't drive yet and doesn't want to wait for the bus. Plus it probably doesn't help that other than his morning double stuffed oreo cookie he only eats one meal a day.

Wow! :o They must have been separated at birth! Mine does the same things!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

My hubby isn't here with me in the US but i'm here with him now and he has def. gained some weight. When I wasn't here, he would exercise and eat healthy, etc. Now that i'm here we don't really exercise (besides all the walking in Paris) and we don't eat lots of healthy foods. He also blames it on finishing my plate when i'm full :)

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband gained about 10 lbs the first year accumulating weight of up to a big 145 (He's almost 6') . Ramadan came last year and he shot down to 140. He went home to visit for awhile came back 133-135 lbs. He said he didn't have home cooked meals every day and walked everywhere while visiting. Now he is up to 142 lbs but his pants are all falling off of him so I have no clue where it went to. He will eat if you cook for him and it is available. If not he sometimes skips meals. We do not see each other until 1100pm at night so if that tells you something he is probably not eating much during the day. I always fix dinner at night and sometimes he eats and sometimes he doesnt. I would really like to see him a little heavier because he can wear a size 12 in boys (27-28 in waist) and that is just way too thin! I hate sounding like that but if he could just gain a little I think it would be healthier for him.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

ahmed has lost since he got this job (very hard labor type) but he is leaving it friday and going to do the license thing and maybe some classes THEN find a better job

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband has gained 22 lbs since he got here 1 1/2 yrs ago. He looks so good now that he has quit smoking, stopped all sugars and works out everyday with cardio or free weights. He's almost 6'2" and now weighs 175 lbs. I love his determination and will. His parents also have seen the difference and makes them very happy he's not starving!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.