Meriem_DZ

For those who have MENA spouses already in the USA.

49 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Yazied gained 18 lbs in the first 3-4 weeks and he is probably still gaining. I said that I would fatten him up, and i have :P

Once he starts work, he'll probably lose half of it pretty quickly

Wow Lisa! What's your secret, please tell!

It might be all the cakes I bake :blush: lol

I also tend to cook alot of carb rich foods and starches too.

I think he is relaxed now also. He was losing weight over there like crazy because of always being stressed/depressed about the seperation or worried about me living alone.

I am going to try and bake more cakes :thumbs: Now if i could stay out of them so I'm not the one gaining all of the weight this could be good!

:lol: I hear ya.

I've actually lost 26 lbs in the last few months... i hope i dont gain it back from all the cakes :P Although him and josh usually eat most of them heh

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

My hubby hasn't gained a pound...though his family believes he has. :P I think he's eating healthy and taking vitamins here so his face and skin tone look so much better however, its not weight gain he is still a lean 32 waist machine...LOL :P I think its all the dancing and practicing anyway....

He hates sweets and prefers meats....not a carb guy either well, minus the chips (salt and vinegar) and ritz crisps (sour cream n onion) he's addicted too!!! So I have to find another way to pack on the pounds for him! I can not wait for that day!!! :P:devil:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
My husband gained about 10 lbs the first year accumulating weight of up to a big 145 (He's almost 6') . Ramadan came last year and he shot down to 140. He went home to visit for awhile came back 133-135 lbs. He said he didn't have home cooked meals every day and walked everywhere while visiting. Now he is up to 142 lbs but his pants are all falling off of him so I have no clue where it went to. He will eat if you cook for him and it is available. If not he sometimes skips meals. We do not see each other until 1100pm at night so if that tells you something he is probably not eating much during the day. I always fix dinner at night and sometimes he eats and sometimes he doesnt. I would really like to see him a little heavier because he can wear a size 12 in boys (27-28 in waist) and that is just way too thin! I hate sounding like that but if he could just gain a little I think it would be healthier for him.

Usama is about 5'11" and I think the last time he weighed himself he was about 132 pounds. I remember when he had to go to the ER one time they tried to put the iv needle in and he was screaming out in pain. Now, I have to admit he's a bit of a big baby but the nurse said that it's common for it to be painful in very thin people because there's no cushion between the skin and the vein. I told her, "see THAT is why I'm fat, I don't want to have pain when you put the iv needle in me" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

My theory, which kind of works for your husband too, is that he's not really settled in yet. Doesn't have *the* job that he'd be at for a long time, hasn't really made any friends that he goes out with yet, etc. I think once that is all settled then he'll start eating more. He's always been thin though so who knows. It's not a bad thing to be thin. His cholesteral is ridiculously low and so is his blood pressure so that's good.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline
My husband gained about 10 lbs the first year accumulating weight of up to a big 145 (He's almost 6') . Ramadan came last year and he shot down to 140. He went home to visit for awhile came back 133-135 lbs. He said he didn't have home cooked meals every day and walked everywhere while visiting. Now he is up to 142 lbs but his pants are all falling off of him so I have no clue where it went to. He will eat if you cook for him and it is available. If not he sometimes skips meals. We do not see each other until 1100pm at night so if that tells you something he is probably not eating much during the day. I always fix dinner at night and sometimes he eats and sometimes he doesnt. I would really like to see him a little heavier because he can wear a size 12 in boys (27-28 in waist) and that is just way too thin! I hate sounding like that but if he could just gain a little I think it would be healthier for him.

Usama is about 5'11" and I think the last time he weighed himself he was about 132 pounds. I remember when he had to go to the ER one time they tried to put the iv needle in and he was screaming out in pain. Now, I have to admit he's a bit of a big baby but the nurse said that it's common for it to be painful in very thin people because there's no cushion between the skin and the vein. I told her, "see THAT is why I'm fat, I don't want to have pain when you put the iv needle in me" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

My theory, which kind of works for your husband too, is that he's not really settled in yet. Doesn't have *the* job that he'd be at for a long time, hasn't really made any friends that he goes out with yet, etc. I think once that is all settled then he'll start eating more. He's always been thin though so who knows. It's not a bad thing to be thin. His cholesteral is ridiculously low and so is his blood pressure so that's good.

I agree Bridget. He told me after his next trip home that he will not be going back for over a year and then Malek and I will go with him. I asked him why not for a year (knowing why he shouldn't but prodding)? He said that he has yet to really settle down and make a life here yet. We know when life is going well you eat and rest better. (As long as momma don't come by and warp your mind...long story) This is why so many newlyweds gain weight in the beginning...happiness and starting to feel complete and settled. So I assume he will gain more weight in the future. Even if only 10 pounds he would look perfect to me. He looks good besides his thin legs, he has a ripped stomach and great arms. It just worries me that if he were to ever get sick he'd melt away. I'm just concerned for him but if he stays thin all of his life he's still my guy and I will always love him and how he is.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

He arrived what I'd consider rail-thin in 2005 and hasn't put on but a pound or two. His first job was working at a Wendy's and he tried to gain via burgers and fries then, but anything he put on came back off whenever he eased up on the fast food. We've tried protein shakes, but once he's had one he doesn't have an appetite for actual food for hours, so the calories don't really add up...

Did I mention how envious I am?!

Me (Indiana) & Him (Fes, Morocco)

Summer 2002: Met in Morocco
Summer 2004: Began work on 129f; joined VJ rather than hiring a lawyer

I-129f Submission & Approval
Oct 19, 2004: I-129f to VSC
Oct 29: NOA2 online -- approved in 6 days, 10/23 to 10/29!

From NVC to Consulate & All the Way Home...
Nov 8, 2004: Case to Casablanca
Feb 23: Interview; CO said they'll call in 2-3 weeks
Mar 2: Casa calls; visa in hand the next day!
Mar 24: Arrival at JFK; over four hours waiting, but got an EAD
April 15, 2005: Married

AOS
Aug 10, 2005: AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago
Nov 12: AOS prints taken

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009:
EAD renewals often delayed. (?)
Info-Pass officials will say only that "other authorities" are handling our case; we eventually got our Senator's office involved
Spring 2009: A letter arrives, saying his 2005 fingerprints have expired and need to be updated. We head down to Indy and get his prints redone.
June 2009: We FINALLY get the AOS interview letter just shy of FOUR YEARS since submission of AOS application...

July 2009: after the interview, his 10-year Green Card arrives. Alle-freaking-luia.

N-400

Application in progress, 2015. We divorced in 2012 but are still good friends. E is helping organize H's application for Naturalization... fingers crossed!

How hard to pin down the truth, especially when one is obliged to see the world in slices; snapshots conceal as much as they make plain. (Rushdie, Shame)

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Rida is not here yet, but we have talked about weight a lot. He has asked me to bring protein powder when I come so he can gain weight (for his gym workouts.) I told him it will be much easier to gain weight once he gets here because they feed our food hormones, which is why even our skulls are bigger. He asked me if he could get some of those "formones" So he is HOPING to gain weight.

My husband came home with a big bucket of strawberry protein powder a couple of weeks ago. :lol:

He can kind of pick at his food sometimes, and I've never been much of a bread person so I tend to forget to buy it, but I recently started buying the little packages of Mahatma flavored rice (saffron or Spanish). I'm having to watch my carbs now, but he can eat close to an entire package of that stuff all by himself -- nice to see him dive into something. We also bought a griddle recently, which makes home cooking a whole lot easier, and I've started keeping marinated chicken or beef for shawarma in the fridge because it cooks so quickly and we both love it. And I'm stuffing the fridge with fresh veggies more than before. So all in all, we're cutting back a bit on the empty calories and having some decent meals lately. Hope it will do us both some good.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would LOVE to have my husband's blood pressure.

Ash

I had no idea that you would be gaining weight too :whistle:

BUT FOR A GOOD REASON! :dance::dance::dance:

lol well so far I'm down between 5 and 8 pounds because of morning all day sickness :blink:

Whoops, missed your announcement! Congratulations! Hope the illness subsides soon, and best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Sofyan was 185lbs at his medical exam in 2005. Now he is 215. He looks healthy, but does have a lil flab on the gut. I like him better thicker tho. Too many volcano tacos and rolling rock i guess

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

:lol::yes: So true! Mine gained like 3 pounds his first month here and within a weekend lost it (doing yardwork in the heat).

OK CnT4ever... what I REALLY want to know is how you got him to do yard work?????? :rofl: Your profile doesn't say where your husband is from... but I want to know what country it is (just in case I ever need to get married again :devil: ...) Is he from MENA???????

I've never seen an Egyptian do yard work except under duress... (threats of me putting on my shorts and a tank top and mowing it MYSELF!!!) and even then it was definately similar to PULLING TEETH!!!!

I finally hired a yard service and when my husband arrived here from Egypt I didn't even BOTHER to let my yard service go... $110 a month to prevent major fighting seemed like a bargain... :yes:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

:lol::yes: So true! Mine gained like 3 pounds his first month here and within a weekend lost it (doing yardwork in the heat).

OK CnT4ever... what I REALLY want to know is how you got him to do yard work?????? :rofl: Your profile doesn't say where your husband is from... but I want to know what country it is (just in case I ever need to get married again :devil: ...) Is he from MENA???????

I've never seen an Egyptian do yard work except under duress... (threats of me putting on my shorts and a tank top and mowing it MYSELF!!!) and even then it was definately similar to PULLING TEETH!!!!

I finally hired a yard service and when my husband arrived here from Egypt I didn't even BOTHER to let my yard service go... $110 a month to prevent major fighting seemed like a bargain... :yes:

:lol:

my palestinian hubby does yardwork and housework :luv::P

I like your way though....very slick LOL I just got the visual of putting on the outfit "ok, honey..i guess I'll go mow the lawn :innocent: " :lol:

Edited by Y's_habibitk

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline

That is funny KH....hubster does yard work. In fact we had huge yard issues to face when we moved into our new home. Trees to cut down and brush to remove. His hobby is gardening so he has flower gardens and vegetable gardens growing. I will say that he hates to weed eat....I have to make a big deal out of it to get him to do it. You have this nice yard with weeds that the mower can't cut down that need to be removed..makes no sense.

Just wanted to update on my husband.

We joined the gym 3 weeks ago and he has been working out so hard, I can already see the difference!

It amazes me how fast men see results and how easy it comes off for them but for us it is so difficult and time consuming. :angry:

Anyway he is looking great and he has even starting eating better too. :thumbs:

Good Job Baby!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.