nycbdg

HELP! must wait for green card before applying for SSN?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Situation:

K-1 fiancee visa, got married, filed Adjustment of Status & waiting for EAD, AP & green card.

In short, she missed applying for SSN before I-94 expired.

SSN local office said that she has to wait for both EAD & Green Card.

After reading some SSN posts, I doubt that AOS applicant has to wait for the physical green card in order to apply for SSN.

Info from SSN customer service: green card is needed to verify the alient registration number.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/hlp/isba/10/...sba005-ctzn.htm

=> AOS Receipt has the alient registration number. Why must they wait for her green card to arrive? The customer service agent told me showing alient registration number on the AOS receipt in lieu of the green card may be acceptable depending on the local office.

Help needed:

1. Can I verify whether she has to wait for her greencard for her social security number application?

If not, is there any official rule/procedure that I can refer to?

2. If she has EAD but no SSN yet, there should not be a problem to work legally, right?

Help needed:

1. Can I verify whether she has to wait for her greencard for her social security number application?

If not, is there any official rule/procedure that I can refer to?

2. If she has EAD but no SSN yet, there should not be a problem to work legally, right?

1. You can get a SSN with an EAD, no need to wait for a GC.

2. No, you need a SSN to work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I just came across this:

source: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200

Documents for adult age 18 and older

ALIEN: Adult Age 18 and older

1. Primary Evidence

Request a current U.S. immigration document and an unexpired foreign passport.

- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551 stamp/machine readable immigrant visa (MRIV) in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I-551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired foreign passport

- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card

- Form I-688B, Employment Authorization card

The above mentioned both EAD & green card, but it doesn't clearly states whether both or either is required.

Anyone knows of a case where someone got his/her SSN only by showing EAD (while waiting for the greencard)?

Thank you all!

I just came across this:

source: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200

Documents for adult age 18 and older

ALIEN: Adult Age 18 and older

1. Primary Evidence

Request a current U.S. immigration document and an unexpired foreign passport.

- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551 stamp/machine readable immigrant visa (MRIV) in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I-551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired foreign passport

- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card

- Form I-688B, Employment Authorization card

The above mentioned both EAD & green card, but it doesn't clearly states whether both or either is required.

Anyone knows of a case where someone got his/her SSN only by showing EAD (while waiting for the greencard)?

Thank you all!

The first ID i got after marriage was my SSn..no EAD and No AOS yet.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

i got my SSN with my passport, form S-55,birth certificate translated,I-94,and marriage certificate..and that was it...

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

I applied SSN after we applied for EAD and Conditional Greencard, but i was told to wait for my EAD card before i applied and thats what I did. When i applied again and presented that EAD card together with my passport, i was approved at once and received my SSN Card a week later.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.