missmissy

Calling all the experts......

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

K3 is a multiple entry visa valid for 2 years (I think). So if you married and then went for the K3 he could use that to visit during the work contract and then you would AOS down the line. You would also file the CR1 concurrently and could act on which ever one suits you best.

Others will add in here and pick up any missteps in this post.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Question for something who knows better:

If you say at the K-1 visa interview that you are only going to use it to get married and then move to Africa will they deny the visa?

My guess is yes!!! Hopefully someone else can say! My guess is that if you tell them the truth at the interview that his visa will be DENIED. I'm not saying you should lie though, I'm only saying that maybe this is not the best option.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, As for the option of him getting the K-1 and then filing AOS and asking for AP. I don't think the AP will cover him for that amount of time. I think that option is not possible at all. AP is for those that need to travel for a relatively short period of time for certain reasons. Having a great job in Africa for two years would abandon his status as a permanent resident in the US.

Africa sounds cool...but are you two 100% he should take the job? Even if it means you'll be basically apart for the next 2 years?

Good luck with this tough decision!!!

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

If you say at the K-1 visa interview that you are only going to use it to get married and then move to Africa will they deny the visa?

My guess is yes!!! Hopefully someone else can say! My guess is that if you tell them the truth at the interview that his visa will be DENIED. I'm not saying you should lie though, I'm only saying that maybe this is not the best option.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, As for the option of him getting the K-1 and then filing AOS and asking for AP. I don't think the AP will cover him for that amount of time. I think that option is not possible at all. AP is for those that need to travel for a relatively short period of time for certain reasons. Having a great job in Africa for two years would abandon his status as a permanent resident in the US.

Africa sounds cool...but are you two 100% he should take the job? Even if it means you'll be basically apart for the next 2 years?

Better to be honest and be denied with a chance to re apply than be dishonest and found out. That's what the interview is for - it's a bit of a two way discussion, and the only point where you can be sure that your unique case is being considered.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Better to be honest and be denied with a chance to re apply than be dishonest and found out. That's what the interview is for - it's a bit of a two way discussion, and the only point where you can be sure that your unique case is being considered.

We wouldn't lie or try to mislead anyone or do anything dishonest. I just asked the question today to see what options we had, if any. We are expecting the NOA2 in July and I'll let everyone know what the Embassy in Denmark tells us when we talk to them about all of this.

03/26/09 : NOA1

09/23/09 : NOA2

11/13/09 : APPROVED and visa in hand!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong.

Can you elaborate on what exactly Marina is wrong about? I want to make sure I understand all of this. Thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong.

We wouldn't lie or try to mislead anyone or do anything dishonest. I just asked the question today to see what options we had, if any. We are expecting the NOA2 in July and I'll let everyone know what the Embassy in Denmark tells us when we talk to them about all of this.

Yeah, I get that feeling from you in your other posts. The more I read on these forums, the more I see that anyone who doesn't fit exactly into the right time line of a relationship ends up frustrated! I hope to hear about your successful story of a flexible process. :)

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

I thought I would update everyone with what I have learned through some phone calls and a TON of research.

First - the job. He will be in Pokola for 90 days and then in Mississippi for 21 days, just like a lot of off-shore jobs. That is his schedule for the next 2 years and in the eyes of the USCIS, it means he will not be out of the country long enough for it to be considered that he has abandoned his petition.

Second - Since he will be living in Congo, we can move the interveiw to the Embassy in Kinshasha (or Brazzaville) but we have to wait until it gets to NVC. It may cause a slight delay but....we've waited this long, we can wait a little longer and it means that he doesn't have to return to Copenhagen. His medical exams, etc will already be done and I'm taking him all of the other documents he'll need and the rest he can download.

Third - We are to be married on Thanksgiving and plan on filing AOS immediately after the ceremony. Once we have the receipt number for his AOS, we can schedule an info-pass appointment and go with a letter from his employer explaining the situation, his return ticket and ask for expedited advance parole. It is possible, it has been done, I know that it is entirely at the discretion of whomever we talk to on that day but...right now, we have a positive outlook that it will work out. I have read on this site about many people that AOS with no interview.....maybe we can be one of those couples, but if not, hopefully we can get it scheduled when he's home again.

We are prepared for delays, denials, bumps in the road - whatever life hands us, I think we will be okay. And, if we can't manage to get it all done.....CR1 BABY!!

Thanks for all who gave advice, support or were just interested in my problem. I so appreciate you. I updated and bumped this thread because in my research, I discovered that there are other people that are going through this exact problem, and I am sure I won't be the last.

Meanwhile, I'm packing because I'm going to Copenhagen in a few weeks!!

P.S. Next summer I'm moving to Africa!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.