Six-Twelve

Report non use of K-1 Visa, allowed to expire

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi this is to any and everyone interested. After enduring the K-1 Visa process from May 08 to Nov 08, I was informed just 2 day's from her K-1 visa's expiration, that she did not leave Brazil, and will not. There was never any communication indicating that there was a problem, infact just a week prior to leaving she told me that hse had here luggage packed, resigned from her job, and had ended the apartment lease. I know she 's still in Brazil, but my question is, who do I contact to report this to, in case she attempts to apply for a visitors or other type of visa (if that is at all possible) and try to enter the U.S. at a later date. I was also informed by a Brazilian friend who I provided a means for my fiance to keep contact with, that when the K-1 process was started, she indicated to her that she did not want to come, which was mistaken for being afraid to come or leave her country for the first time in her life. My fiance' however contended throughout the entire process that everything was fine, keeping appointments, and even going to the embassy for her interview, while telling me that she was coming. My question is, do I need to report this to immigrations and will it make any difference whether I do or not, and will not reporting it affect me in the event that (and heaven forbid) that I do this again?

Thanks all, would appreciate any info to point me in the right direction

Don

Edited by Six-Twelve

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Really nothing to report. Her visa will expire and that will end everything. I guess a notarized letter to USCIS formally stating the same is proper.

Except for a waiver letter, your future status is unaffected.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Nothing to report - the Visa (K-1) has expired (unused) and is now considered abandoned.

You have no say in whether (or not) a tourist visa is issued to a foreign national - let it go. Sorry for your news.

p.s.

I guess we now know the rest of the story to this thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...98674&st=15 :unsure:

Edited by Otto und Karin

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Nothing to report - the Visa (K-1) has expired (unused) and is now considered abandoned.

You have no say in whether (or not) a tourist visa is issued to a foreign national - let it go. Sorry for your news.

p.s.

I guess we now know the rest of the story to this thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...98674&st=15 :unsure:

Thanks for your response, I figured that much, but thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

that visa might get used, after all. it is not uncommon for passports to be sold in 2nd world countries with the intent of use ot enter a 1st world country. her brazil passport with K1 visa could be "scrubbed" and have an entirely different picture page installed. the most valuable passports in the black market will be 2-3 years old and have more than 5 exit/entry stamps, and a couple of visas. mine, with 50+ transits (more than half of them to china), extra pages, 15 or so visas, several of which are still current, would be worth about 20K$ in beijing.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Thanks for your response, I figured that much, but thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Ya.. its a tough break - one of those life-lessons no one ever wants to be on the receiving end of. Better to learn this now than later I suppose.

Give it time and lots of chocolate (or comfort food/beverage of choice). :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Truly sorry, dude... and, the objectivity of your question aside: whether you have "just" a lump in your throat or your heart is breaking a thousand times over, you have friends here, and you're not alone. Otto und Karin are right -- if it all had to happen, better now than later, and chocolate or similar.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

sorry, saw she did not intend to come.

(my other post about reissuance of K1 visa)

Log

Wedding 01-2006

USCIS

I-130 NOA1 : 11-20-08 I-130 NOA2 : 05-14-2009

I-129F NOA1 : 12-04-08 I-129F NOA2 : 05-14-2009 Took no action since

NVC

Case number assigned at NVC : 05-18-2009

Case Completed at NVC : 08-03

Interview scheduled: 08-13

Embassy

medical : done 08-17 + pick up 09-08

Interview Date: 09-08-09

Visa received : 09-11-09 valid till 03-10-10

October 10th entered US with Visa Waiver Program for 2 weeks holidays (not usual with visa received!)

had to go through secondary inspections to explain

November 25th entered again US with WVP, officer did not notice my green card visa

left US on dec 28 to avoid meeting the substantial presence test for IRS

Jan 9 2010 entered and activated green card though PHL port of entry

waiting for SSN requested with DS230 and 10 years GC

01-30 received tracking number for GC Welcome issued on 01-27

but not yet SSN

SSN expected by Feb 20 else I might go and ask for one regardless of DS230

GC expected by March 27

Feb 3 2010 update card ordered says to allow for 30 days

Feb 8 2010 update saying approval notice sent

Feb 12 2010 received GC card Permanent resident valid till 2020

Feb 18 2010 went to file ss5 for ssn card as not yet received and center would not find me in ssn files

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.