AstroM33

Living abroad while app is pending

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am finding absolutely impossible to live without my fiancée. I see her about once every three months, but even that is become too little. I want to go live with her while our application is pending. Are there any drawbacks to this. I know I will probably have to come back to the states for the interview (or is that something I can do in Nicaragua?), but besides having to come back for interviews and such is there any other possible negative to living with her while the app is pending?

Thanks.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Just to be clear...... who is the foreign finace(e)? You or your girlfriend?

Sounds like it is your finacee in Nicaragua.. right? and you are the USA citizen. If so it is her not you who will have the interview which will be in the USA embassy of Nicaragua.

If you are able to go and live with her there while you sit out the waiting process of applying for a K1 I don't see how it could hurt your application....

K1 Application

23 Feb 2006 - I-129 mailed

14 August 2006 - Approved!!!! :-)

21 October 2006 - Married in the mountains of North Carolina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Application

6 November 2006 - Applied for AOS, EAD and AP

09 Decemeber 2006 - e-mail received to say case was trasferred to California

16 December 2006- biometric appointment in Charlotte, NC

20 Jan 2007 -AP approved

24 Jan -EAD approved

28 June -Green card ordered

7 July wedding celebrations in Scotland

Timeline

Sounds like it is your finacee in Nicaragua.. right? and you are the USA citizen. If so it is her not you who will have the interview which will be in the USA embassy of Nicaragua.

If you are able to go and live with her there while you sit out the waiting process of applying for a K1 I don't see how it could hurt your application....

Yes. I am the USC. I would be the one living down there. I thought that I would also have to be interviewed here in the U.S. during this whole process. Maybe I should double check. Thanks for the reply. I think it shouldn't make a difference but I wanted to make sure.

Like Globetrotter said, You wil not be interviewed, it will be your fiance.

With that said, are your bags packed yet? I wish I could do the same!!!

Yes. I am the USC. I would be the one living down there. I thought that I would also have to be interviewed here in the U.S. during this whole process. Maybe I should double check. Thanks for the reply. I think it shouldn't make a difference but I wanted to make sure.

An issue to be addressed is your ability to sponsor your fiancee. If you do not have regular US income, you may need a co-sponsor. Check out form I-134.

The interview for her K-1 visa will occur in Nicaragua. Future, AOS interviews - post marriage - will occur in the US.

Consider that you might need to be in the US to receive any RFEs that might be sent to you... be sure someone is checking your mail for you if you do go. You can't rely on email status updates.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline

Thanks guys. I think the biggest problem in this case would be the lack of an income. I would probably have to go down there and live off my savings. The only thing I could possibly do is outsource my job, but my boss would not pay me what he pays me now if I were to do all the things I do in the office over the internet.

I'll check with him and see what options I have.

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If your problem would be living expenses and having to live off of your savings, you should definitely be looking to the future when your fiancee is in the US and you are married. She will need to apply to adjust her status in the US shortly after you are married and you will need to provide an affidavit of support that will show you have an income that is at least 125% of the poverty level, supported with income tax returns for the current year. If you do not meet this criteria then you will require a co-sponsor. If you cannot guarantee a co-sponsor you may want to weigh the benefits of short-term gratification - being with her while the K-1 processes - versus the long-term benefit - getting permission for her to live permanently in the US with you as your spouse. If you can address the income - and income tax requirement - situation, then go for it. If not, then grin and bear the separation knowing that it will only be temporary. Why not take a look now at what the AOS application requires to ensure you are not compromising that by moving temporarily to Nicaraqua?

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Just to let you know.....I understand all cases are different but do consider......the foreign embassy did call to my home to interview me ........so to say only his fiance will be interviewed may not be correct.......I was questioned almost an hour on the phone, while my fiance was being questioned in a room at the embassy.....

vicki/bala

10/2002 Met in yahoo chat

10/2004 Romance blossoms

04/2005 Went to india, spent two wonderful weeks together

06/11/05 Sent petition

06/22/05 1st NOA received

09/12/05 2nd NOA received

11/15/05 Interview: request for additional information from me.

11/30/05 Got notice that we were Placed on Administrative Processing

03/04/06 Going to visit with my boo!

04/08/06 Back home (sigh) back to waiting again.

06/15/06 7 months on AP (will this ever end?)

07/06/06 called for second interview (it was a nightmare)

07/14/06 learned our petition was sent back

07/15/06 ready to carry on the fight!!!!

10/17/06 petition is back at USCIS

God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away,

who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hi everyone,

I am finding absolutely impossible to live without my fiancée. I see her about once every three months, but even that is become too little. I want to go live with her while our application is pending. Are there any drawbacks to this. I know I will probably have to come back to the states for the interview (or is that something I can do in Nicaragua?), but besides having to come back for interviews and such is there any other possible negative to living with her while the app is pending?

Thanks.

If you can find a way to afford it i.e. continue doing your job via the internet while you are there, do it! There are no ramifications aside from your ability to support her financially. It would probably be preferable if you don't use your savings to live there so you have that as part of your financial support documentation. Also, a letter from your employer indicating that you are employed will make a big difference. I am planning to do this same thing assuming I can work it out with my boss so I think it's a great idea.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Just to let you know.....I understand all cases are different but do consider......the foreign embassy did call to my home to interview me ........so to say only his fiance will be interviewed may not be correct.......I was questioned almost an hour on the phone, while my fiance was being questioned in a room at the embassy.....

vicki/bala

you could find out if Nicaragua allow the USA finace at the interview... no worried of them calling you in the USA if you were there in front of them and in some cases it can help the case. Counties vary on whether they allow you at the interview though so you should check under your area forum.

Edited by globetrotter

K1 Application

23 Feb 2006 - I-129 mailed

14 August 2006 - Approved!!!! :-)

21 October 2006 - Married in the mountains of North Carolina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Application

6 November 2006 - Applied for AOS, EAD and AP

09 Decemeber 2006 - e-mail received to say case was trasferred to California

16 December 2006- biometric appointment in Charlotte, NC

20 Jan 2007 -AP approved

24 Jan -EAD approved

28 June -Green card ordered

7 July wedding celebrations in Scotland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.