chrisc85

Islam and Chicken Marsala

164 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey guys,

So, I have an interesting and possibly stupid question. I was talking with my fiancee the other day (were getting a K1), and I was telling her about this delicious Italian recipe that my family likes to make called "Chicken Marsala". I'm sure at least some of you have heard of this. It's chicken, made with a sauce that's made from primarily cream and Marsala wine with mushrooms. Now, when I told her this, she said it sounds delicious but said she will not eat it because it contains wine (she doesn't drink alcohol obviously because it's against the religion).

Now, I explained to her that the alcohol evaporates when cooking the sauce, so there is no alcohol and it will be fine. She wouldn't have it. She refused and said she doesn't believe it's right. What bothers me is my mom makes it all the time, so when we eat dinner together, what will she not eat? I would never make her drink alcohol, but this is different. It's such a good recipe and a lot of other recipes are made with alcoholic beverages for flavoring, like pasta with vodka sauce, hot sauce with bourbon, jack daniels bbq sauce, along with the marsala sauce. This bothers me cause she's gonna be missing out on so much good food that's a big part of our culture even though there's no alcohol in the food after it's cooked!! This seems like it could be considered such an insignificant issue but it's bothering the heck out of me. Do other American-Muslims think this way about this as well?

Edited by chrisc85

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hey guys,

So, I have an interesting and possibly stupid question. I was talking with my fiancee the other day (were getting a K1), and I was telling her about this delicious Italian recipe that my family likes to make called "Chicken Marsala". I'm sure at least some of you have heard of this. It's chicken, made with a sauce that's made from primarily cream and Marsala wine with mushrooms. Now, when I told her this, she said it sounds delicious but said she will not eat it because it contains wine (she doesn't drink alcohol obviously because it's against the religion).

Now, I explained to her that the alcohol evaporates when cooking the sauce, so there is no alcohol and it will be fine. She wouldn't have it. She refused and said she doesn't believe it's right. What bothers me is my mom makes it all the time, so when we eat dinner together, what will she not eat? I would never make her drink alcohol, but this is different. It's such a good recipe and a lot of other recipes are made with alcoholic beverages for flavoring, like pasta with vodka sauce, hot sauce with bourbon, jack daniels bbq sauce, along with the marsala sauce. This bothers me cause she's gonna be missing out on so much good food that's a big part of our culture even though there's no alcohol in the food after it's cooked!! This seems like it could be considered such an insignificant issue but it's bothering the heck out of me. Do other American-Muslims think this way about this as well?

I don't have an answer, but I will be really curious to see what other posters say.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It really varies from person to person, both in the US and outside the US, how strictly they adhere to the no-alcohol thing. I know some people who won't even use shampoos or soaps that have alcohol in them because they say they are not halal, and yet others that don't even give it a second thought. I would say that perhaps you should tell your mom about your fiancee's dietary needs, and hopefully she can oblige. Is it really that big of a deal not to eat chicken marsala? the thing is, that it is insignificant, as you say, to YOU. but if eating something made with alcohol (even if it has evaporated out) is significant for her, then why push it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband is the same - when we go out to eat he scans the menu and any dish that even suggests wine he says no way. I've also explained that there is no alcohol in the dish after it's cooked, but he tells me he appreciates the explanation but he would not be able to do his prayers or sleep at night if he ate these dishes. I've given up!! :bonk:

Other Visa(Student)

Event Date

Marriage : 2006-07-31

I-130 Sent : 2006-09-15

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-21

I-130 Approved : 2007-04-19

US Entry :

Comments :

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : Sacramento CA

Date Filed : 2006-09-17

NOA Date : 2006-09-21

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2006-12-12

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : 2007-02-08 Submit Review

Approval / Denial Date : 2007-04-19

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received: 2007-04-21

Comments :

Lifting Conditions

Event Date

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2009-01-16

NOA Date : 2009-01-21

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2009-02-12

Interview Date : 2009-05-05

Approval / Denial Date : 2009-05-11

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp :

Green Card Received : 2009-07-10

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband is also from Morocco and he will not eat any foods cooked with alcohol. He'll watch you cook it, enjoy the smells, but he absolutely won't eat it. This is a personal issue with their belief don't let it come between you. There is more to life than food being cooked with alcohol.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
Hey guys,

With all due respect, you said you converted to Islam in front of her family. That means that, not only did you make a promise to her parents to be a man they can trust, you also took an oath to follow Allah and the tenets of the faith. I also remember that you said she wasn't very observant, but she may surprise you. Observant Muslims avoid alcohol. Your fiancee wants to follow the faith as it has been prescribed. Your early acts toward her should not be to try to convince her to do things that violate her beliefs. You should use her as your example as you learn more about living as a Muslim, if that is what you intended when you converted. If you're not thinking to do that, you may make a big mistake by marrying her, then trying to change her.

Western cultures are full of pitfalls for practicing Muslims. I was born Muslim and have lived in the west on and off thoroughout my life. For nearly 30 years, I was married to a Christian man, which required much accomodation to each other's beliefs. While individual Muslims may have varying comfort levels when it comes to haram foods, we have been told to avoid wine and spirits and pork specifically. Apparently, this command is important to her, and she has made that clear to you.

One major duty that you have to each other, no matter what faith you practice, is to respect and facilitate the spiritual well-being of your spouse. That means, as the husband of a Muslim woman, and a new convert to Islam, you have an obligation to grow in the faith. Growth must include a willingness to allow yourself to accept the fact that, if you are sincere in your conversion, your life will change, God willing, for the better. You should also help your dear mother to understand the dietary requirements a Muslim is to follow, and why we follow them so that she can choose to be significant part of your growth as a Muslim.

I understand that you have lived your life one way until now, and that you view your fiancee as Muslim-lite. Yet, but marriage is a major life change that, to be successful and to thrive, needs compromise and patience from both partners. Your wife needs to be patient with your responses to the limitations of behavior her Muslim practice requires. You need to be able to compromise with the boundaries she will have as she tries to resist temptations that would move her away from her faith.

You may want to consider taking your time so that you can adequately assess each other's expectations and boundaries before you marry. It sounds as if there is much you have still much to discover about each other.

None of my words were meant to offend. I am merely trying to address the issue in the best way I can. I hope this helps.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Food cooked with any amount of alcohol is haram, period. Eating any food that has been touched by alcohol or pork (even from cooking utensils) is also haram. Every observant Muslim knows this very well and is very careful when eating outside of their own home.

No matter how long you cook the food, there will still be traces of the alcohol in the food, otherwise, why would you want to add it in there in the first place?

My husband and I are observant Muslims and are very careful to read ingredients because following a halal way of life is important to us.

Since your fiance is an observant Muslim, halal food is not the only subject you may disagree with her about. Halal also extends to her daily life (not working in or socializing around haram places or activities, etc.), not just food, so I hope this won't be an issue for you both.

Trying to explain your opinion to her will not change the religious laws of halal and haram, so I hope you don't pressure her about these things. If you

are also Muslim, I'm sure she would appreciate it if you would follow halal ways with her.

Sorry if I sound blunt, but I just don't want any Muslim to feel pressured into eating haram food, especially by a loved one, and after they've made it clear they don't want to. :)

01-04-09 - Married in Egyptian Embassy - Qatar - honeymoon in Egypt (Ahmed's home country)

05-04-09 - I-130 Sent

12-13-09 - INTERVIEW PASSED (Qatar)....Spent 12 weeks in AP

03-03-10 - VISA IN HAND :)

03-06-10 - AHMED COMES HOME :)

03-12-10 - SS# card received

03-19-10 - GC received

05-15-10 - First job

06-01-11 - Better job!

03-2012 - Started our business

Removal of Conditions/10 yr GC

02-15-12 - Sent I-175 ROC

07-17-12 - approved!....card production ordered!!!!

07-21-12 - 10 yr card arrived in mail :)

03-2013 - Apply for Naturalization

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Food cooked with any amount of alcohol is haram, period. Eating any food that has been touched by alcohol or pork (even from cooking utensils) is also haram. Every observant Muslim knows this very well and is very careful when eating outside of their own home.

No matter how long you cook the food, there will still be traces of the alcohol in the food, otherwise, why would you want to add it in there in the first place?

My husband and I are observant Muslims and are very careful to read ingredients because following a halal way of life is important to us.

Since your fiance is an observant Muslim, halal food is not the only subject you may disagree with her about. Halal also extends to her daily life (not working in or socializing around haram places or activities, etc.), not just food, so I hope this won't be an issue for you both.

Trying to explain your opinion to her will not change the religious laws of halal and haram, so I hope you don't pressure her about these things. If you

are also Muslim, I'm sure she would appreciate it if you would follow halal ways with her.

Sorry if I sound blunt, but I just don't want any Muslim to feel pressured into eating haram food, especially by a loved one, and after they've made it clear they don't want to. :)

:thumbs: There is also a hadtith, can't find it right now sorry, that basically says when in doubt don't do it.

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

It seems to be a common misconception that the alcohol put in food evaporates as it's cooked.

It is, however, a misconception.

I've quickly found three articles, and could find many more if there were any point, but I think 3 should suffice, to show the actual facts about this subject.

site 1

site 2

site 3

I'd advise you to stop bugging your wife about this, since she is doing what is right.

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

if this is her belief she wont change (period) dont even try to expect her to and i see alot of reading labels and learning ingredients in your future, you will be surprised and need to study up on all this ahead of time

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm not aware of a non-alcoholic marsala, but for other recipes with wine, you could try a non-alcoholic wine. Of course, it won't be quite the same, but it's something. Then again, non-alcoholic wines and beers still contain trace amounts of alcohol, so that might be a no-go as well. However, Pam cooking spray and fruit juices also have trace alcohol.

If your wife is strict about this, I don't think there's any way around abstaining from some great recipes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
With all due respect, you said you converted to Islam in front of her family. That means that, not only did you make a promise to her parents to be a man they can trust, you also took an oath to follow Allah and the tenets of the faith. I also remember that you said she wasn't very observant, but she may surprise you. Observant Muslims avoid alcohol. Your fiancee wants to follow the faith as it has been prescribed. Your early acts toward her should not be to try to convince her to do things that violate her beliefs. You should use her as your example as you learn more about living as a Muslim, if that is what you intended when you converted. If you're not thinking to do that, you may make a big mistake by marrying her, then trying to change her.

Western cultures are full of pitfalls for practicing Muslims. I was born Muslim and have lived in the west on and off thoroughout my life. For nearly 30 years, I was married to a Christian man, which required much accomodation to each other's beliefs. While individual Muslims may have varying comfort levels when it comes to haram foods, we have been told to avoid wine and spirits and pork specifically. Apparently, this command is important to her, and she has made that clear to you.

One major duty that you have to each other, no matter what faith you practice, is to respect and facilitate the spiritual well-being of your spouse. That means, as the husband of a Muslim woman, and a new convert to Islam, you have an obligation to grow in the faith. Growth must include a willingness to allow yourself to accept the fact that, if you are sincere in your conversion, your life will change, God willing, for the better. You should also help your dear mother to understand the dietary requirements a Muslim is to follow, and why we follow them so that she can choose to be significant part of your growth as a Muslim.

I understand that you have lived your life one way until now, and that you view your fiancee as Muslim-lite. Yet, but marriage is a major life change that, to be successful and to thrive, needs compromise and patience from both partners. Your wife needs to be patient with your responses to the limitations of behavior her Muslim practice requires. You need to be able to compromise with the boundaries she will have as she tries to resist temptations that would move her away from her faith.

You may want to consider taking your time so that you can adequately assess each other's expectations and boundaries before you marry. It sounds as if there is much you have still much to discover about each other.

None of my words were meant to offend. I am merely trying to address the issue in the best way I can. I hope this helps.

Well said sister, Sofiyya! I agreed 100%!

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline
It seems to be a common misconception that the alcohol put in food evaporates as it's cooked.

It is, however, a misconception.

I've quickly found three articles, and could find many more if there were any point, but I think 3 should suffice, to show the actual facts about this subject.

site 1

site 2

site 3

I'd advise you to stop bugging your wife about this, since she is doing what is right.

Yup, I was just going to say that.

Also, alcohol is najas, filth. You wouldn't cook with urine and then argue that it's all cooked out at the end. That would just be gross.

As for missing out on foods that are a part of american culture, too bad. Can't have pizza hut pizza with pepperoni and sausage either. There's plenty of american food that is made without alcohol. Plus, there are plenty of substitutes for alcohol in cooking.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

also, I wanted to add that there is nothing wrong with being thoughtful of someones likes or dislikes or food choices that a side dish of something could not be made. If my family knows I dont eat liver for whatever the reason, it would be more thoughtful if they prepared something small on the side that I could eat if they invited me over and knew my dislike of liver. Thats just a common courtesy.

I would never cook something that I know my family or friends would not like and expect them to eat it to satisfy myself. Thats bad hospitality.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.