Ramialbali

calm me down. 221(g) please

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline

Hi Guys,

I had my interview on May 14 for K-3 visa in Jerusalem. The consular officer was nice and everything went fine. He told me that "I have passed the interview" but he killed me when he said "but". He said that I need to provide them with Swiss Criminal Record and Originally certified English translation of my marriage contract, luckily I had a copy of it and I lost the original one. I don't know how. I asked him that according to their packet 3 that they sent me, I need to provide them with police certification from all countries I had resided for at least one year, and as a result I did not have it ready with me, but he said they need it. Then, He gave me a paper saying that I need to provide them with documents that I mentioned above, and my visa denied under section 221 (g). Also, he said," As soon as you mail the documents, they will contact me to send them my passport, don't worry".

I have done both documents, and I emailed the consulate to ask them whether if I can open the enclose envelop of the Swiss Criminal Record to translated it, and their replay was:

Dear Sir;

Thank you for your interest in this case. At present we have no additional questions or concerns that need clarification. This case is pending mandatory administrative processing. If any additional information is needed we will let you know. Unfortunately we are unable to give a precise timetable for when this administrative processing will be completed. Each case is unique. We assure you we will process this case as expeditiously as possible and look forward to being able to provide you with a final determination in the near future.

I freaked out, even they did not answer my question about translation. Anyway, I opened it according to the paper that they gave me in the day of the interview which said that I need to translate all foreign documents, but It was written in 4 languages. I cloesed it and mailed the documents to the consulate. What do you think guys? Calm me down please.

We have been apart more than a month after living together happily for two years rather than stressing about this process. My wife left to the USA to prepare for my arrival. It is so difficult to wake up every day and your love laying next you for two years, and then waking up, and she is not there instead checking my email to read her emails. We were working here together, take trips and laugh and cry together, but now I do not know how long will take this until we will be together again. I don't know if I can endure this stress and my wife too.

Do you think it will take months?!!!! Is there any possibility that they can deny my visa?!!! Please help. Sorry for inconvenience.

Regards

Rami-Becky

First meeting----2007-08-30

Engaged---------2007-11-21

Marriage---------2008-02-07

I-130 Sent-------2008-07-24

I-130 NOA1------2008-07-31

I-129F Sent------2008-08-26

I-129F NOA1-----2008-09-02

I-129F NOA2-----2009-02-25

NVC Received----2009-03-05

Packet 3---------2009-03-12

Packet 3 Sent----2009-04-13

Packet 4---------2009-04-26

Interview Date---2009-05-14--Approved, but required additional documents

Visa Received---- AP, Time Unknown

I-130 Approval----2009-02-25

Switched to IR1 visa

1st interview---------09-03-2011

2nd interview---------03-05-2011

visa issued-----------07-04-2011, but the Consulate kept my passport

3rd interview---------24-05-2011 with the Homland Secuirty office in Jerusalem

4th interview---------06-06-2011 interviewd my wife, the Homland Secuirty office in Jerusalem

passport received-----14-06-2011 with IR1 visa

US Entry----------21-09-2011

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To suffer in silence is the greatest suffering

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

To answer the question, you should leave the Swiss envelop alone and send it sealed, as you received it. In this way, the U.S. will have no suspicion that the contents have been altered.

As to the waiting time, just be patient. It can't be speeded up, unfortunately, so it's going to be tough for you both to wait. You have already been approved, and once the requested material is in the file, it ought to move along without a problem. Administrative processing can be a week or a few weeks, depending on their backlog.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Rami-Becky,

Try to calm down. You have given them what they asked for and hopefully they process it quickly with no issues and you get your visa soon.

If all they needed was the additional docs, I dont think it will take months. Someone close to me was in a very similar situation and they had their visa within 3 weeks of turning everything in.

That email is the canned reply that they give when anyone has 221g in their file. Try not to freak about that.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Also, have your wife email/call the embassy inquire about it.

she can just write something like: my husband mailed in the additional documents that were requested and we want to make sure that they were received and that there is nothing else you need from us to process the visa......

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

I don't think opening the police report will have any repercussions. How else would you translate them if they need to be?

AP can take months, depends on the location (and your in MENA), so probably will take some time for you.

There is always the possibility of getting denied, you will have to wait and see, but I wouldn't worry about that until you know something. If you gave them all the proof/evidence they needed, you should have no issues.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline
I don't think opening the police report will have any repercussions. How else would you translate them if they need to be?

AP can take months, depends on the location (and your in MENA), so probably will take some time for you.

There is always the possibility of getting denied, you will have to wait and see, but I wouldn't worry about that until you know something. If you gave them all the proof/evidence they needed, you should have no issues.

It doesnt look like typical AP, 'cept for the canned email response.....it looks like they wanted additional docs only. I hope thats the case.

Edited by Y's_habibitk

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline

It doesnt look like typical AP, 'cept for the canned email response.....it looks like they wanted additional docs only. I hope thats the case.

THANK YOU GUYS. I really did well in the interview beside the consular officer was nice and helpful even after a while we spent over 10 mins talking about things not related to my case at all. I showed him a lot of evidents of relation included wedding pictures, trips to different places and countries, apartment leases prove that we have been living together for almost two years and others. Also, It was fine regarding me being in prison for years under administrative detention without charge or interrogation, and when I tried to explain more about it , he said do not worry, we have full background in your situation “most Palestinians were under administrative detention”. He said there is no problem with this.

The local workers were really rude and not helpful. May be just with me. The one who was preparing for the interview, taking the applications and documents, was really rude. She messed up my application even she asked me to pay 400$, and I have to pay just 131$. When I told her that it seems there is something wrong here, and I made it clear that I am applying for K-3, she insisted that I have to pay this amount. She made a mistake when she mailed me the interview appointment letter which said that I need to pay 400$ in cash. During the interview the consular officer recognized the mistake and talked to her and asked me to go and took my money back and pay 131$. Also, she used to tell me you do not need this or that, and it turned up I needed everything ,that she denied, during the interview. Luckily the consular officer was American and nice. Hopefully May be it was some of these lazy workers who replayed to my email and do not bother to check what is exactly the case. I hope everything will go fine and fast. How can people endure being apart for years! It is difficult. Thank you.

Edited by Rami-Becky

Switched to IR1 visa

4th interview---------06-06-2011 interviewd my wife, the Homland Secuirty office in Jerusalem

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeline

THANK YOU GUYS. I really did well in the interview beside the consular officer was nice and helpful even after a while we spent over 10 mins talking about things not related to my case at all. I showed him a lot of evidents of relation included wedding pictures, trips to different places and countries, apartment leases prove that we have been living together for almost two years and others. Also, It was fine regarding me being in prison for years under administrative detention without charge or interrogation, and when I tried to explain more about it , he said do not worry, we have full background in your situation “most Palestinians were under administrative detention”. He said there is no problem with this.

The local workers were really rude and not helpful. May be just with me. The one who was preparing for the interview, taking the applications and documents, was really rude. She messed up my application even she asked me to pay 400$, and I have to pay just 131$. When I told her that it seems there is something wrong here, and I made it clear that I am applying for K-3, she insisted that I have to pay this amount. She made a mistake when she mailed me the interview appointment letter which said that I need to pay 400$ in cash. During the interview the consular officer recognized the mistake and talked to her and asked me to go and took my money back and pay 131$. Also, she used to tell me you do not need this or that, and it turned up I needed everything ,that she denied, during the interview. Luckily the consular officer was American and nice. Hopefully May be it was some of these lazy workers who replayed to my email and do not bother to check what is exactly the case. I hope everything will go fine and fast. How can people endure being apart for years! It is difficult. Thank you.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

The fact that you guys are a young couple and who have lived together for years there is a HUGE positive in your favor. :)

Have your wife keep on the consulate and keep us posted.

You guys will be in our prayers.

Edited by Y's_habibitk

Thanks!

Timeline

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

The fact that you guys are a young couple and who have lived together for years there is a HUGE positive in your favor. :)

Have your wife keep on the consulate and keep us posted.

You guys will be in our prayers.

Thank you guys for your support. I have attached the letter that the consular officer gave me. I freaked out and got confused because the letter is saying something and the email saying something else. You can look at them and see.

I sent them an email this morning to make sure that the additional documents were received. Thank you and I will keep you guys update.

Rami-Becky

Switched to IR1 visa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I had to get a Swiss police cert too. I opened the envelope and nothing was said about it but you should be ok either way, as the Swiss police cert is in German, Italian, French and English.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Practically all USCIS forms require documents.

Required Documents For K-3 Visa Application

The following documents should be provided by your spouse to the US consulate in his/her home country while applying for the K-3 Visa.

1. Two copies of Form DS-156, Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  2. One DS-156K, Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e) Visa Application form
  3. Police certificates from all places lived in since the age of 16
  4. Birth certificates
  5. Marriage certificate for spouse
  6. Death and divorce certificates from any previous spouses
  7. Medical examination (except vaccinations)
  8. A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States.
  9. Two non-immigrant visa photos, two inches/50 X 50 mm square, showing full face, against a light background)
  10. Proof of financial support (Form I-134 Affidavit of Support may be requested.)
  11. Payment of fees, as explained below
Tips:

• The consular officer may ask for additional information. It is a good idea to bring marriage photographs and other proof that the marriage is genuine.
  • Documents in foreign languages should be translated. Take clear, legible photocopies of civil documents, such as birth and marriage certificates, to the visa interview. Original documents can then be returned to you.
You didn't follow the instructions, so why are you getting uptight?

It's also been our experience that your IO may request evidence not even listed in the instructions, and apparently they have the right to do so, you just supply it. Helps to contact other people that already went through this to learn of their experiences. Any form of new evidence, specified or not, creates delays, and that is the last thing you want.

When I first started all this stuff, was totally ignorant about immigration, got in the internet with thousands of help sites, most not very helpful, so found the most reputable and experience immigration attorney in the USA, got a complete detailed list of what we needed, sent that to my wife to be, and she gathered it. The only thing I recall that had to be in a sealed envelop was the I-693's.

Sounds like you did have a very nice IO, others just had their applications denied with no reason given.

Timeline

:blink:

Thanks!

Timeline

The following documents should be provided by your spouse to the US consulate in his/her home country while applying for the K-3 Visa.

4. Birth certificates
  8. A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States.
  9. Two non-immigrant visa photos, two inches/50 X 50 mm square, showing full face, against a light background)
  10. Proof of financial support (Form I-134 Affidavit of Support may be requested.)
Tips:

• The consular officer may ask for additional information. It is a good idea to bring marriage photographs and other proof that the marriage is genuine.
  • Documents in foreign languages should be translated. Take clear, legible photocopies of civil documents, such as birth and marriage certificates, to the visa interview. Original documents can then be returned to you.

It's also been our experience that your IO may request evidence not even listed in the instructions, and apparently they have the right to do so, you just supply it. Helps to contact other people that already went through this to learn of their experiences. Any form of new evidence, specified or not, creates delays, and that is the last thing you want.

When I first started all this stuff, was totally ignorant about immigration, got in the internet with thousands of help sites, most not very helpful, so found the most reputable and experience immigration attorney in the USA, got a complete detailed list of what we needed, sent that to my wife to be, and she gathered it. The only thing I recall that had to be in a sealed envelop was the I-693's.

Sounds like you did have a very nice IO, others just had their applications denied with no reason given.

Thank you. I filled all the requirements that you wrote and in the packet 3 that I had received form the consulate. During the interview everything was fine,and I gave them all the documents and applications that they requested. According to the packet 3 "Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has reside for at least one year", and I lived in Switzerland less than one year. As a result, I did not have it with me in the interview. You have to put in consideration that each case is unique and each consulate has some times different requirements. Also, I mailed them the additional documents and they were received on Monday 15th. Now, can you explain more how I did not follow the instructions? and try to be specific because may you will help me. Thank you.

Switched to IR1 visa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

4. Birth certificates
Tips:

Thank you. I filled all the requirements that you wrote and in the packet 3 that I had received form the consulate. During the interview everything was fine,and I gave them all the documents and applications that they requested. According to the packet 3 "Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has reside for at least one year", and I lived in Switzerland less than one year. As a result, I did not have it with me in the interview. You have to put in consideration that each case is unique and each consulate has some times different requirements. Also, I mailed them the additional documents and they were received on Monday 15th. Now, can you explain more how I did not follow the instructions? and try to be specific because may you will help me. Thank you.

You did point out two things, not having your original translated marriage certificate and that Swiss police report. Can really question that police report when the FBI and Interpol keeps a record of all known criminals and having to go there and ask them for a piece of paper saying you weren't caught doing anything wrong. But they also ask you if you did something wrong and were never caught doing it. And it's not like you are dealing with a given set of USCIS laws, you have that interviewing office also making his/hers interpretation of those laws. Maybe that IO didn't like the way you parted your hair, I don't know these reasons.

In going through the entire process, can also be a bleed back from the I-751 and N-400 where positive indisputable proof is required that you are living together. We had some problems in that we didn't have a join bank account, but did bring a letter from my back denying such an account due to the APA. So it's not like you are dealing with one agency, but others as well. Then trying to prove you had a long relationship, your marriage is not fraud, when you don't even have the immigration papers so you can live together.

As I stated before, you can follow the instructions to a tee and still be denied or requested to provide more evidence even if you have already provided all the requested evidence. Can only speculate, but maybe your IO isn't so nice after all.

I will calm you down right now. Same thing happened with us. We got a 221g because they wanted additional documents proving his date of birth. Something totally not expected, considering we gave them his birth certificate. I too freaked out when I saw that we got something called a "denial" under 221g. Anyway, long story short, we returned the documents they requested and after about a month my husband got his visa. The paper which they gave you (221g), does it list on the form that they need the police certificate only? It doesn't say that your case needs further review does it? If it doesn't say anything except that they want the police certificate then I really think you'll recieve your visa soon. That's just my opinion.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.