Flofle

Some Q's on the Green Card

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Hey guys, I had a couple of questions:

- When does the alien spouse get the Green Card? I've heard he/she should get it in a month or so, but is it a month after passing the Interview or a month after the POE? Also, is there anyway one can speed up the process of getting the Green Card? And the last one: Who issues the Green Card?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

05-08-2009 Mailed DS-230

05-13-2009 NVC website sign on failed

05-14-2009 NVC Case Complete

xx-xx-2009 Case left NVC

06-02-2009 interview date Assigned

07-08-2009 Interview

xx-xx-2009 Visa in hand

Visa is activated at entering the US through POE - as such is good for a year as a temporary green card until the real GC arrives approximately a month later.

The issuing authority is USCIS. www.uscis.gov

No way to speed to the process of issuing the GC - simply use the stamped visa that is your temp GC. if you need to travel or to prove you can work.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
Visa is activated at entering the US through POE - as such is good for a year as a temporary green card until the real GC arrives approximately a month later.

No way to speed to the process of issuing the GC - simply use the stamped visa that is your temp GC. if you need to travel or to prove you can work.

thank you for your answer. my husbands family is planning a cruise in August and strangely enough the cruise guy told them that Mexico needs the actual GC to let me in... they won't recognize the stamp :blink:

05-08-2009 Mailed DS-230

xx-xx-2009 Case left NVC

07-08-2009 Interview

xx-xx-2009 Visa in hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

thank you for your answer. my husbands family is planning a cruise in August and strangely enough the cruise guy told them that Mexico needs the actual GC to let me in... they won't recognize the stamp :blink:

Go the Mexican consulate in Albania and inquire about getting a visa to visit Mexico on your Albanian passport. They're generally easy to get.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Go the Mexican consulate in Albania and inquire about getting a visa to visit Mexico on your Albanian passport. They're generally easy to get.

won't that cause any complications with my (not yet activated) US visa? :unsure:

05-08-2009 Mailed DS-230

xx-xx-2009 Case left NVC

07-08-2009 Interview

xx-xx-2009 Visa in hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The problem is not whether she's allowed to enter Mexico or not, but whether she's allowed back in the States after the cruise, is that right?

The I-551 stamp that you will get at the US POE should be more than enough to travel and be allowed back in the US without any problems. I think what the cruise employee was talking about is that you need to be a US permanent resident to be allowed to take the cruise, which you will be once you enter the US. The card is just an ID that replaces the stamp but they're both the same thing.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

won't that cause any complications with my (not yet activated) US visa? :unsure:

Why would it? Until you're an American citizen, you'll still be traveling on your Albanian passport. You can travel anywhere you want to, or at least anywhere you're allowed to with it. The US is only concerned if you have documents that allow you to enter the US. They don't care if you also have documents (i.e., a visa) that allow you to enter Mexico. That's between you and the Mexican government. As long as you have documents that will allow you to return to the US at the end of the cruise, I think you should be fine.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
The problem is not whether she's allowed to enter Mexico or not, but whether she's allowed back in the States after the cruise, is that right?

The I-551 stamp that you will get at the US POE should be more than enough to travel and be allowed back in the US without any problems. I think what the cruise employee was talking about is that you need to be a US permanent resident to be allowed to take the cruise, which you will be once you enter the US. The card is just an ID that replaces the stamp but they're both the same thing.

Diana

i know, my husband told the exact same thing to the guy... but he wouldn't listen. :blink: and then he told my husband that he had talked to the Mexican Embassy and they had said that they don't accept anything but the actual GC (they won't recognize the stamp) ... :blink:

05-08-2009 Mailed DS-230

xx-xx-2009 Case left NVC

07-08-2009 Interview

xx-xx-2009 Visa in hand

Timeline

Why would it? Until you're an American citizen, you'll still be traveling on your Albanian passport. You can travel anywhere you want to, or at least anywhere you're allowed to with it. The US is only concerned if you have documents that allow you to enter the US. They don't care if you also have documents (i.e., a visa) that allow you to enter Mexico. That's between you and the Mexican government. As long as you have documents that will allow you to return to the US at the end of the cruise, I think you should be fine.

yeah, i guess you're right. But is it possible for me apply for a visa to Mexico once I'm in the States?

05-08-2009 Mailed DS-230

xx-xx-2009 Case left NVC

07-08-2009 Interview

xx-xx-2009 Visa in hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes, herein lies the problem. Your CR-1 or AP or any other travel document allows you BACK in the USA, it is NOT a visa to enter another country. Your GC will be valid to enter Mexico, Canada and Carribean Islands on its own because of treaties the US has with those countries. For other countries you will STILL need a visa, if you needed one before. But they should be much easier to get with a US Green card in your possession.

My wife was unable to enter Canada (6 miles away) until she had her green card in hand. We tried with the AP (DUH!) but nothing doing, we were frimly but politely told to come back when she had the green card. She now travels there very frequently with no problem.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

yeah, i guess you're right. But is it possible for me apply for a visa to Mexico once I'm in the States?

When you have your green card you will not need a visa to go to Mexico, green card only. You won't even need your passport. I need a passport to go to Canada (well, not any more, I got one of the Vermont "enhanced" drivers lisences) but my wife does not.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Yes...go to the nearest Mexican consulate and do so.

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The confusion is because its generally known that Mexico allows greencard holders to visit without a visa (my wife did it) - so when you talk about a stamp - yes that doesn't work to go to Mexico (it works only to get you into USA) - some other countries follow the same rule e.g. Canda and UK. If you do not have agreencard then to go to Mexico - you must apply for a visa using your passport. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Timeline

thanks guys for clearing this up for me!

05-08-2009 Mailed DS-230

xx-xx-2009 Case left NVC

07-08-2009 Interview

xx-xx-2009 Visa in hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.