sassysis

What kinds of gifts should I take?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I forgot about the coloring books for the kids :-) My husband also suggested notebooks and other school supplies, especially if they have photos of puppies or kittens or superheroes or celebrity kids (within reason!).

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention the body sprays and lotions from bath and body works. Absolute hit!!! The faves were citrus varieties, midnight pomegranate and white tea ginger. Also I gave the fruity lip glosses...YUM! LOL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Depending on your price point, and the wealth of the people you're giving presents to......I was in Morocco and giving gifts to pretty poor people.But I gave the following successfully....

GENERIC: You can buy bags of individually wrapped ghiradelli chocolates for about$3 at target. They look really pretty and expensive, and it's nice that they are individually wrapped as it makes it easier to hand out among the families....

WOMEN LOVE GOLD. You can get cute real gold earrings (dangly ones), necklaces or bracelets at target and other discount stores for between $20-30. The color of gold here is different than in Morocco, it's more yellowy there. I'm not sure about Egypt. I'd advise getting simpler designs. They will love anything gold and can wear it under their hijabs...

and while they have knock-off Crocs in Morocco now, they're not as good quality as real crocs. I brought them for friends (men and women) and they loved them.

I'd be nervous buying make-up for women, but women didn't wear a lot of make up where I was from. Nice face lotion would be ok.

Kids love coloring books and I second the crayon comment. There's nothing like crayola. You can get $1 coloring books at target in the $1 aisle. In fact, most of the things they sell in that aisle are pretty good presents. I like to get presents which are quasi educational, like books, because reading is not really valued (at least in Morocco). Plus, you can color with the kids, and you can translate books into arabic with the kids. Or learn words by pointing at things in the story, and have the kids tell you what it is in Arabic.

If you're going to buy clothes for people, just make sure to buy shirts for girls which cover their butt! Really nice socks are good for everyone.

MEN:

Fleece jackets.

Nice flashlights. I dont know about Egypt, but in Morocco, there are terrible street lights. So little hand or keychain flashlights are great. Be sure to give some extra batteries, because our US batteries are better quality, and last longer. I found little keychain/flashlight/sort of pocket knife or pliers things for $5 at a sporting goods store. These are also nice because they're relatively light!

good luck and have fun!!

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree with all the gift items - one more small thing is the big manicure-y type nail files. At my hubby's house all they had were those sketchy metal ones and everyone (men included) lined up to use my big flat ones. Also, I know its not a 'fun gift', but the most requested items from here for us are usually over the counter medications, particularly advil and something like nyquil or tylenol cold or something . another couple of items from costco :) but they are like GOLD, at least in morocco. maybe stick a big bottle in your bag to leave with the inlaws when you go. Adnans sister in law cried the first time I gave her some advil - she had a terrible earache and had gone to the pharmacy for an antibiotic but they had nothing for pain relief. That night I gave her 2 advil and in the morning she ran to me and embraced me with tears in her eyes. I was so sorry I had only a little travel size bottle to leave with her. Just be sure to have your hubby write the use instruction in arabic so there is no accidental OD.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

OTC Meds yes! WE take - Prilosec, Excedrin, Advil, Icy Hot, Tylenol and multi vitamins

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

When we go to Argentina my in-laws absolutely adore Aleve, Ben-Gay, Multi-vitamins for seniors and my MIL lives for hand sanitizer. I give her big bottles and one little bottle. She keeps the little bottle for her purse - she likes to have it for when she rides the bus. :thumbs:

I agree with crayons-- big box of crayola=big hit with the kids. I had a few tins of altoids(I love the chocolate covered ones) with me and ended up giving them away because the family loved them. I also ended up leaving behind my bottle of Pepto.Not the greatest gift, I know, but I actually had a request to ship some more.

Although my honey told me not to go out and buy gifts (YEAH RIGHT!!!) I went out and did most of my gift shopping this past weekend (soooo much stuff)...and was happy to use some of the suggestions I saw here. Like the keychain flashlights for the men...the ones I found were retractable but very bright. I also bought some beverage cozees that look like hawaiian shirts (Uncle drinks beer so this will be a clever way to disguise it) I bought little glittery disney fairy lip gloss, stickers, frisbees, wolverine stickers, colored pens, bath and body works hand sanitizers, etc etc...maybe I went overboard, but I want to make sure to have enough no matter who we come across either intentionally or incidentally. One of the other things I got which I LOVE is glow stick bracelets/necklaces. Don't know if they're a good idea...but they sure are fun!!!

Timeline

This might sound weird, but my in-laws LOVE American peanut butter! I've taken and mailed some, and have it on my list for the next visit.

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

When my husband went home to EG to visit he had went to Target and had bought his mom some of the hard plastic cups and bowls. The cups were see through but colored and had designs on them. The bowls and plates were wood or oddly shaped. He said everybody wanted some of those when he came back. He said the neighbor took his mother's plates and told her that her son would buy her some more!!!

Also, he had brought home a few nice hat, scarf and glove sets for his mother and aunt and the boys.

Perfumes and body sprays as well as soaps. He said in EG bodywash and soap was kind of pricey. I was a little surprised but oh well.

A few of the things he brought for the boys were battery operated remote control cars. Those funky toys that you can make bubbles with. Nerf guns, little play men, and lots of socks, underwear and clothes with characters on them like spiderman, hulk etc.

Timeline

389px-Bottle_of_Maker's_Mark_Whisky.JPG

Honey_GL_Ham0015_diff.jpg

;)

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

OMG, rclouse. LOL

Ok, so Teto told me to please not spend any money on his family with gifts that the next time I come it is ok to bring something, but not this time. ??? I dunno. You think they would be offended if I did not take gifts?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
OMG, rclouse. LOL

Ok, so Teto told me to please not spend any money on his family with gifts that the next time I come it is ok to bring something, but not this time. ??? I dunno. You think they would be offended if I did not take gifts?

DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM!!!! You gotta bring something. Everyone LOVES gifts! My husband always tell me this. "Don't bring anything...just you", I never listen.

Someone mentioned OTC medication. I think this is a great idea. They have different meds in Egypt. Simple, cold medicine is a big hit. Whenever Ahmed get's sick, he is convinced it's the flu, truly he has no idea what the flu REALLY is.

For my SIL, I too, brought bodywash, lotions, hair color, some cute tops and make up. Oh and a purses...she loves them. Which I don't know why, cause I have seen some SUPER cute (fake of course) purses in Egypt.

I always bring things to represent the Twin Cities or Minneapolis/St. Paul. Keychains, magnets, t-shirts/jerseys.

Just make sure you bring something. You can't go empty handed.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.