sassysis

What kinds of gifts should I take?

34 posts in this topic

I will be going to Egypt in about 4 weeks. I have no idea what kind of gifts to take to his family. And I assume I take a gift to everyone, including his brothers and sister. His sister is married with 3 children. Do I take something to her husband and children as well? Suggestions please?? Thank you all!

I'd say, anything that made in the USA. Especially food (chocolates or canned food). :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
OMG, rclouse. LOL

Ok, so Teto told me to please not spend any money on his family with gifts that the next time I come it is ok to bring something, but not this time. ??? I dunno. You think they would be offended if I did not take gifts?

DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM!!!! You gotta bring something. Everyone LOVES gifts! My husband always tell me this. "Don't bring anything...just you", I never listen.

Someone mentioned OTC medication. I think this is a great idea. They have different meds in Egypt. Simple, cold medicine is a big hit. Whenever Ahmed get's sick, he is convinced it's the flu, truly he has no idea what the flu REALLY is.

For my SIL, I too, brought bodywash, lotions, hair color, some cute tops and make up. Oh and a purses...she loves them. Which I don't know why, cause I have seen some SUPER cute (fake of course) purses in Egypt.

I always bring things to represent the Twin Cities or Minneapolis/St. Paul. Keychains, magnets, t-shirts/jerseys.

Just make sure you bring something. You can't go empty handed.

That is what I was thinking.

OK, so several people have said chocolate, but wont the chocolate melt on the plane?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
OMG, rclouse. LOL

Ok, so Teto told me to please not spend any money on his family with gifts that the next time I come it is ok to bring something, but not this time. ??? I dunno. You think they would be offended if I did not take gifts?

DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM!!!! You gotta bring something. Everyone LOVES gifts! My husband always tell me this. "Don't bring anything...just you", I never listen.

Someone mentioned OTC medication. I think this is a great idea. They have different meds in Egypt. Simple, cold medicine is a big hit. Whenever Ahmed get's sick, he is convinced it's the flu, truly he has no idea what the flu REALLY is.

For my SIL, I too, brought bodywash, lotions, hair color, some cute tops and make up. Oh and a purses...she loves them. Which I don't know why, cause I have seen some SUPER cute (fake of course) purses in Egypt.

I always bring things to represent the Twin Cities or Minneapolis/St. Paul. Keychains, magnets, t-shirts/jerseys.

Just make sure you bring something. You can't go empty handed.

That is what I was thinking.

OK, so several people have said chocolate, but wont the chocolate melt on the plane?

It will "fly" fine!!!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Despite what your husband says, you should bring something. Or at least, take a lot of stuff you can use that you can leave. So if someone admires something you're using, you can give it to them. and i mean EVERYTHING. they may like your socks, or your toothpaste, or your dental floss, your lotion, your makeup, your earrings, your comb, your bra, ANYTHING goes. IN morocco, people will give you the shirt of their backs if you even compliment them on it. so if you bring things to use and leave, you can be like them, and it will also alleviate the awkwardness of giving people things you're not sure they will like (e.g., I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing makeup for someone as a gift straight -out, cuz who knows if they'd want it. but if you're using it and they're interested, well, then voila!)

And I love kids, so I like to have things I can do with kids. SO crayons and coloring books are great, if for nothing else than to pass the time, entertain the kids, and to go a little way to getting to know people.

And that brings to mind, that anything you can bring to pass the time while you're sitting in the salon with the family watching Egyptian soap operas and not understanding a darn thing, will be a good thing. it will help you not be bored, and could be a conversation starter. like knitting, needlepoint, maybe even a manicure set. coloring books, paints, who knows. i french braided the entire family's hair one night. Oh, that's another good things, hair bands and pony tail holders, etc. bring tons!

that's my extra 2cents!

and if you want something simple to give initially, just bring some chocolates. and present them to the mom or the dad.

of course, i just thought of something. it is sort of dangerous to start giving away all your stuff. it might be a dangerous precedent. anyhoot.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.