CitizenUS

Immigration Medical Exam

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't remember anyone having to pay "lab" costs. I know neither myself (K-1) nor my daugher (K-2) did.

Where are you having your medical exam.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

HUH!!!! That is TOOO much! I paid $160 to the Doctor, cash ofcourse, which he pocketed, tax free, ofcourse. In my case, I had to undergo the full vaccination course, since i didn't have records from my country. I don't think Lab tests are supposed to cost that much, if ever needed.

Edited by saspak

IR5 For Parent

WOW!! I really hope you did NOT pay that much!

I paid $160 for the CS also and I had my blood drawn at a clinic for free! It's so important to call around to as many CS as possible even if it means you are going to have to go for an hour drive to get there when there is one 5 minutes away. The prices vary SOOOO much I was quoted for $300 for the civil surgeon and then an additional $360 on top of that for blood work. I called several that were similar prices or more. I then called the one that I went to and they suggested that I went elsewhere to get my blood test AND gave me a list of places that did it for free. They also gave me suggestions of where I would get the HPV vaccine for free however, I ended up not having to get that as I got a letter from a doctor stating I was allergic. Then their fee was $160 for the TB test and the two visits.

11/18/08 - Arrived in U.S. on B2 visa

02/05/09 - Extended return plane ticket to stay for an extra 3 months

04/23/09 - Decided we didn't want to be apart even though we extended the stay and got married!

04/30/09 - Sent I-130/I-485/I-765 from B2 (no I-693 as it is not yet complete.)

05/03/09 - Received email form USPS stating that package had arrived safely and was signed for!

05/11/09 - Received NOA1's for I-130/I-485/I-765

05/16/09 - Received Biometrics Appointment

05/30/09 - Received a CRAZY amount of RFE's that were dated 05/21/09

06/01/09 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled. In and out in 10 minutes!! Sent off RFE information (Should arrive in MO on Wed.)

06/03/09 - USCIS received RFE response

07/23/09 - I called to have a service request put in

07/24/09 - I-765 Touched (FINALLY)

07/25/09 - I-765 CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!!!!! (About time!)

08/03/09 - EAD card came in the mail WOOHOO!!!

08/07/09 - Interview letter arrived

09/02/09 - Interview Date

09/07/09 - I think this is the day I received my Green Card.. Can't quite remember anymore.

Removal Of Conditions

08/03/11 - WOW it's already been TWO years! Sent ROC package to VSC.

08/05/11 - NOA1 date which arrived 8/10/2011

09/02/11 - Bio Appointment the notice was dated 8/12/11

I paid $160 for the CS also and I had my blood drawn at a clinic for free! It's so important to call around to as many CS as possible even if it means you are going to have to go for an hour drive to get there when there is one 5 minutes away. The prices vary SOOOO much I was quoted for $300 for the civil surgeon and then an additional $360 on top of that for blood work. I called several that were similar prices or more. I then called the one that I went to and they suggested that I went elsewhere to get my blood test AND gave me a list of places that did it for free. They also gave me suggestions of where I would get the HPV vaccine for free however, I ended up not having to get that as I got a letter from a doctor stating I was allergic. Then their fee was $160 for the TB test and the two visits.

If you are able to add your spouse to your health plan after marriage (which I am) can you use health insurance benefits at the civil surgeon or do you have to pay out of pocket?

Adjust from VWP:

Marriage on day 64

06/29/09 - AOS package sent

07/01/09 - Package received via FedEx @ Chicago

07/08/09 - Received NOA

07/27/09 - Received Advanced Parole document dated 7/22

08/04/09 - Biometrics Appointment

08/12/09 - Received EAD Card

08/14/09 - Applied for Social Security Card

09/15/09 - Interview in Fairfax, VA ***APPROVED***

09/15/09 - Card Production Ordered

09/19/09 - Welcome to the USA letter received.

09/24/09 - Green Card in Hand

Time from Application receipt to Approval: 76 days.

Remove conditions: 09/2011

Remove conditions initial application: 7/6/2011 Approval: 4/17/2012

HUH!!!! That is TOOO much! I paid $160 to the Doctor, cash ofcourse, which he pocketed, tax free, ofcourse. In my case, I had to undergo the full vaccination course, since i didn't have records from my country. I don't think Lab tests are supposed to cost that much, if ever needed.

That was the cost for us here in Wisconsin, USA for my Canadian husband. We looked online for a CS and used the one that was the less expensive......$260 vs $310.

The doctor ordered a myriad of tests and we just got the bill. Zoster, HIV, Mumps, Rubella, etc, etc, etc. She ordered tests that she didn't even report on the I-693 !!! Some Civil Surgeon !!!

I am steaming angry. The "lab" is going to get their money $50 a month and not a penny more.

What a racket is all I can say.

I am going to attach the bill from the lab to the sealed envelope from the surgeon just so immigration knows what we paid for "tests".

Edited by CitizenUS

If you are able to add your spouse to your health plan after marriage (which I am) can you use health insurance benefits at the civil surgeon or do you have to pay out of pocket?

How can I get insurance to pay for something that happened BEFORE signing up for insurance?

Oh by the way I forgot to mention that my husband had his entire immunization record with him at the exam time. It was complete and up to date.

Yet the cost to process the I-693 was $1000.00 US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a racket !!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what you mean but I was asking in general if the civil surgeon accepts insurance. Technically you do not go to the civil surgeon until after your married and in my case my company's insurance will be effective for my spouse the day of our marriage.

Adjust from VWP:

Marriage on day 64

07/08/09 - Received NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
Not sure what you mean but I was asking in general if the civil surgeon accepts insurance. Technically you do not go to the civil surgeon until after your married and in my case my company's insurance will be effective for my spouse the day of our marriage.

They do not accept any insurance for the immigration exam but you can do 2 things to reduce the cost. First talk to the civil surgeon and find out which shots u need [they vary from age to gender] then,

1- go to your public health department and get all the shots u need.......they are so much cheaper over there....and take your shot card with u to the civil surgeon.

2- use your family doctor who accepts your health insurance to get the shots, and some of the blood work done. Then take this documentation to the civil surgeon

Also make sure you call as many surgeons as you can to compare pricing....even if it means driving to a different town or city. [the one in my town costs $250 and the one in next town costs $150]

Gotchya thanks!

Adjust from VWP:

Marriage on day 64

07/08/09 - Received NOA

They do not accept any insurance for the immigration exam but you can do 2 things to reduce the cost. First talk to the civil surgeon and find out which shots u need [they vary from age to gender] then,

1- go to your public health department and get all the shots u need.......they are so much cheaper over there....and take your shot card with u to the civil surgeon.

2- use your family doctor who accepts your health insurance to get the shots, and some of the blood work done. Then take this documentation to the civil surgeon

Also make sure you call as many surgeons as you can to compare pricing....even if it means driving to a different town or city. [the one in my town costs $250 and the one in next town costs $150]

I don't know what you mean when you talk about shots. My husband did not get any shots. His immunizations are up to date and he has proof. He did get a TB test and he did have to go back for a check of that test so it's not necessarily a good idea to drive a distance to see a "cheaper" doctor.

He also had to go back and give another vial of blood because the lab didn't have enough to do all the tests the doctor ordered.....can you imagine that ?!!

Anyway, I'm just ranting. This process is bad enough with all the forms, fees and items you need to submit. Then you get your bill from the lab and your blood pressure rises again.

Thanks for listening. Do you think USCIS is listening ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.