JKD_88

We Hate Miami :-(

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Does anyone here live in Miami. We live in kendall here in Miami and we hate it, unfortunately there's nothing we can do to leave right now but we are saving money. Anyway, it just seems like it's on dissappointment after another, we went to register my wife for ESL classes, specifically for Listening and Speaking, and today was her first day of class, she was so dissappointed, the teacher wasn't a native speaker, she spoke with an accent, which is what we don't want. I'm sorry I just needed a place to vent, hopefully I'll find someone here who lives in Miami, maybe you can help me out.

October 9, 2007- VSC received I-129F

October 17, 2007- I received I-797C (NOA1)

January 11, 2008- TOUCH

January 14, 2008- Request for more evidence

January 15, 2008- TOUCH

February 26, 2008- RFE arrived at VSC

February 28, 2008- TOUCH

February 29, 2008- TOUCH

March 7, 2008- NOA2 e-mail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 9, 2008- TOUCH

March 10, 2008- TOUCH

March 14, 2008- Received at NVC

March 15, 2008- I received NOA2 Hard Copy

April 9, 2008- Fiance received Packet

April 10, 2008- I received Packet from consulate

May 16, 2008- Went to Brazil to be with my fiance and do the interview with her

May 30, 2008- INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

June, 9, 2008- Visa Arrived

June 17, 2008- Fly home together

September 6, 2008- Marriage Ceremony

September 9, 2008- Got Legally Married on paper

September 18, 2008- I-94 expired

January 15, 2009- Sent AOS papers to Lawyer

January 23, 2009- Received more papers from Lawer that needed to be signed

February 6, 2009- Filed AOS

February 10, 2009- AOS NOA1

February 14, 2009- Received appointment paper for Biometrics

March 5, 2009- Biometrics appointment

April 25, 2009- Received I-131

April 29, 2009- Received EAD

May, 2, 2009- Received appointment paper

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

You are right to complain. There is nothing worse than having to learn a foreign language from a teacher who is not a native speaker, especially when you're supposed to actually live in that country.

Edited by Kar98

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I live in South Florida (Broward County), and my wife was an English teacher in Saint-Petersburg, Russia, and Krivoy Rog, Ukraine.

She has applied for her Florida teaching certificate to teach ESOL, but we are not optimistic she will be able to find a job easily, as the state is cutting teachers. :crying:

Svetlana has been very frustrated at times here as well. Getting driver's license was an ordeal. She cannot simply walk into a store and purchase (distance) eyeglasses like she could in Russia. She cannot find a job. And she really hasn't been able to make amy real friends here. And now the weather --- which was so perfect when she got here (Oct. 23) and for several months afterward --- is beginning to turn very hot and humid.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I can understand your disappointment in the teacher. Are there other reasons why you hate Miami/Kendall? My wife and I may be moving to Kendall and I want to know if it's a good or bad spot. I realize that depends on the person of course, but you can let me know the reasons why you dislike it there.

Timeline

I-130

February 13, 2006: I-130 filed (US Embassy, Dublin, Ireland).

April 18, 2006: Interview date received.

May 02, 2006: Interview (US Embassy, Dublin, Ireland). Visa approved.

June 14, 2006: Moved to Charlotte, NC.

July 20, 2006: 'Welcome to the United States' letter received.

July 21, 2006: Applied for SSN.

July 29, 2006: SSN received.

September 05, 2006: 2 year Permanent Resident card received.

I-751

April 09, 2008: Mailed I-751 to TSC.

April 15, 2008: Check cashed.

April 16, 2008: Case transferred to VSC.

April 23, 2008: Biometrics appointment letter received.

May 10, 2008: Biometrics appointment.

June 28, 2008: Moved to Clearwater, FL (Filed AR-11 and I-865).

March 04,2009: 10 year Permanent Resident card production ordered.

March 13,2009: 10 year Permanent Resident card received.

N-400

April 24, 2009: Mailed N-400 to TX Lockbox.

April 30, 2009: NOA1 Notice date.

May 11, 2009: Biometrics appointment letter received.

May 16, 2009: Biometrics complete (walk-in).

June 04, 2009: Interview letter received.

July 23, 2009: Interview.

July 23, 2009: Oath. I am a US citizen!

Timeline
Svetlana has been very frustrated at times here as well. Getting driver's license was an ordeal. She cannot simply walk into a store and purchase (distance) eyeglasses like she could in Russia.

Why not?

There's generic "prescription" glasses at every Walmart and Walgreens. And at the mall, there's a place called EyeMart which has an ophthalmologist in the same building.

And excuse me, but "go into Y store and simply purchase X" and "Russia" do not go together. :devil:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Does anyone here live in Miami. We live in kendall here in Miami and we hate it, unfortunately there's nothing we can do to leave right now but we are saving money. Anyway, it just seems like it's on dissappointment after another, we went to register my wife for ESL classes, specifically for Listening and Speaking, and today was her first day of class, she was so dissappointed, the teacher wasn't a native speaker, she spoke with an accent, which is what we don't want. I'm sorry I just needed a place to vent, hopefully I'll find someone here who lives in Miami, maybe you can help me out.

I thought everyone on that side of the state spoke with a (Spanish) accent! Been over there and there is no way we would live there. Much different on this side.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I live in South Florida (Broward County), and my wife was an English teacher in Saint-Petersburg, Russia, and Krivoy Rog, Ukraine.

She has applied for her Florida teaching certificate to teach ESOL, but we are not optimistic she will be able to find a job easily, as the state is cutting teachers. :crying:

Svetlana has been very frustrated at times here as well. Getting driver's license was an ordeal. She cannot simply walk into a store and purchase (distance) eyeglasses like she could in Russia. She cannot find a job. And she really hasn't been able to make amy real friends here. And now the weather --- which was so perfect when she got here (Oct. 23) and for several months afterward --- is beginning to turn very hot and humid.

If you get over to this side (Naples) give us a shout. We also have other friends (Russian-American couple) in Broward Co. that we visit.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

I completely understand.

I grew up in South Florida (and still have family there). I hate it to. I moved away after university 10-12 years ago and have never looked back. I don't even like visiting there (I encourage my family to visit me, or we meet at my sister's place).

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: Other Timeline

We live in NORTH BEACH MIAMI before. the cost of living is pretty expensive. it is a tourists destination; the majority of people who are living there are Hispanic. MIAMI is completely diffferent place from the rest of America. its like you're living in outside the US.

Edited by lotus101

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
There's generic "prescription" glasses at every Walmart and Walgreens. And at the mall, there's a place called EyeMart which has an ophthalmologist in the same building.

You can buy generic "prescription" reading glasses (+1, +1.5, etc.) at those places, but not prescription glasses for distance (-3.0, -3.5, etc.). They demand you have an examination and a new prescription before they will sell you anything on the minus side.

Svetlana knows what she wants (-3.5 contact lenses) but cannot get them without another exam for contacts (she had an exam for distance lenses last month). And since we have already used the one exam per year my insurance covers, additional exam/lenses would cost a lot of money.

She's just going to have a friend in Ukraine buy some (much cheaper there) and send them to her.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

u probably will never find a native speaker in miami,, anyone who is native has moved cuz everyone else is spanish speaking ,,great place to visit but not to live unless you like south america,,same thing there but expensive,,,,good luck hope it all works out for you !!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Half of Florida speaks English with an accent... I think DH is one of the few native-born south Floridians left! But we've lived in northern Broward (Fort Lauderdale) for almost five years now. Maybe it's just our particular area (I think we got very lucky with location because we're in a pocket of middle-class civilisation (not super-poor and not rich) and I can walk to any place I need to go) but I love it. I know there are some areas not very far away from us that feel like another planet, and I'm not just talking about where the rich folks live...

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Timeline

You can buy generic "prescription" reading glasses (+1, +1.5, etc.) at those places, but not prescription glasses for distance (-3.0, -3.5, etc.). They demand you have an examination and a new prescription before they will sell you anything on the minus side.

Svetlana knows what she wants (-3.5 contact lenses) but cannot get them without another exam for contacts (she had an exam for distance lenses last month). And since we have already used the one exam per year my insurance covers, additional exam/lenses would cost a lot of money.

She's just going to have a friend in Ukraine buy some (much cheaper there) and send them to her.

In ten years here, I paid full and in cash for a couple of exams, and it was in the $60 range each time.

Just walk in, get your eyes checked, get a prescription and walk into the store next door to get glasses. Or order contacts online.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

In ten years here, I paid full and in cash for a couple of exams, and it was in the $60 range each time.

Just walk in, get your eyes checked, get a prescription and walk into the store next door to get glasses. Or order contacts online.

not moving to miami, but I have had people tell me about it. From all of your comments, you people sound like some racist backward types. A friend of mine a USC told me that Florida had a lot of racists in it, you just proved his point. interesting

4650093_bodyshot_300x400_1285472169089.gif

Timeline

not moving to miami, but I have had people tell me about it. From all of your comments, you people sound like some racist backward types. A friend of mine a USC told me that Florida had a lot of racists in it, you just proved his point. interesting

LOL...w...wut? :wacko:

Seriously, #######?

Edited by Kar98

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.