39 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
Weird.

Maybe some of the Canadian experts would know if there is "information sharing" between Canada and the US.

Misrepresentation at the border can get you a bar for life.

But there's not going to be a court proceeding in New York for a crime committed in Canada. I suppose there could be a BIA hearing in New York for misrepresenting himself.........

Yes, there is information sharing between the US and many nations, including Canada. Have had personal experience with that.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Hey guys!

As an organizer, I'm not even sure if this is in the right forum, so please, move if need be.

I have a mystery to solve.

I recently found out that my brother's boyfriend (let's call him Rick) has a lifetime ban from the United States.

I found this out when in September of 08, my parents, my brother and Rick were suppose to visit Nick and I. My parents and brother came, but Rick came up with some excuse as to why he couldn't come....Anyway, long story short, we found out he is banned from entering the U.S.....and here is his excuse.

HE SAYS...that when he was a minor, he committed a crime (He won't say what this crime was) in CANADA...northern Ontario to be specific. Years later as an adult, he said he was crossing the border into the States for a trip and was asked if he had a record by the customs....he said "no" thinking that because he was a minor when he committed the crime that they wouldn't have that information on their computers....well, he says they did and that the officer at the border then informed him that the United States was then charging him for lying to them and he had to go to court in Buffalo, NY for the lying....and then they banned him from the United States for life.

This story is really confusing my family and so I'm turning to you guys to shed some light.

1. Would American customs have access to files from Canada reguarding crime committed 15 to 20 years prior?

2. Wouldn't they just turn him around and not let him enter instead of charging him?

I'm thinking there is more to the story but I could be wrong....

Thanks guys!!!

I lived and worked in Montreal for a time and have a business aquaintance there, now in his late 40s, that also has a lifetime ban to the the USA for exactly the same thing. Some sort of crime he committed as a teenager when he got involved with some gangs. He had traveled back and forth to the US for some years with no problem. Then the same happened to him, they asked if he had a criminal record, he said "no" and ended up in a world of trouble. Whatever he did then, he is a good guy now and a friend, but he can never come here to visit me, I always have to go to his place.

Also a friend here is not allowed into Canada because of a drunk driving charge he had several years ago, but I think he could get a waiver of some sort if he tried, so apparently there is some sort of interagency communication regarding crimes.

:thumbs:

Once again this poster comes thru with another great answer

I think you two should get a room. :P

I am rather chocked by your "he is too old"

you apparently don t like him

and may have ground

but the age comment is not welcome

my brother is with an "older" guy and we are happy for him.

I am myself significantly older than my husband

other people on this forum have age differences

you may have shocked them too.

From what I understand, this is an open forum, I can state my opinion all I want.

I didn't say anything vulgar, I simply stated my opinion, it's as simple as that.

It's my brother and I can make all the comments I want about him, it has nothing to do with you or anyone else's relationship, thank you very much.

My brother's boyfriend is too old for him.

He is 21, his boyfriend is 40. They are at two COMPLETELY different stages in their lives and the age difference is already coming between them, but I won't get into that right now.

Your relationship may be fine and dandy and that's great for you but not EVERYONE views things the same.

As for offending anyone, if that's the case, grow some thicker skin.

Stinkers, I would concur with sister Rebecca Jo. Rick and your bro are, indeed, adults. And from what I know about your bro, he is smart and committed to Rick.

I personally applaud your brother for not telling you anything --- he is doing what I would do if asked about something Bren regards as private.

Love you and ####### :luv:

Love you too Len :)

From what I know now, my brother doesn't even know the whole truth.

There is a lot more to this story and their relationship but I won't get into that.

Let's just say it's causing my family a lot of stress and heartache.

Miss you!

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am not bothered by the "too old" comment.

I'm 30 years older than my wife.

And although she is a little older than I like them, you have to be practical about marriage. So being the prudent man I am, I chose one a little older.

Some might object and say she is too old. go younger. But I am sticking by my decision.

So maybe your brother is doing the same thing. Being practical rather than being led by base physical attractiveness.

Something to think about.

;)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

ok I understand you don t understand your brother and don t like his boyfriend.

gave you a chance, age difference is not an handicap. take it or not.

Log

Wedding 01-2006

USCIS

I-130 NOA1 : 11-20-08 I-130 NOA2 : 05-14-2009

I-129F NOA1 : 12-04-08 I-129F NOA2 : 05-14-2009 Took no action since

NVC

Case number assigned at NVC : 05-18-2009

Case Completed at NVC : 08-03

Interview scheduled: 08-13

Embassy

medical : done 08-17 + pick up 09-08

Interview Date: 09-08-09

Visa received : 09-11-09 valid till 03-10-10

October 10th entered US with Visa Waiver Program for 2 weeks holidays (not usual with visa received!)

had to go through secondary inspections to explain

November 25th entered again US with WVP, officer did not notice my green card visa

left US on dec 28 to avoid meeting the substantial presence test for IRS

Jan 9 2010 entered and activated green card though PHL port of entry

waiting for SSN requested with DS230 and 10 years GC

01-30 received tracking number for GC Welcome issued on 01-27

but not yet SSN

SSN expected by Feb 20 else I might go and ask for one regardless of DS230

GC expected by March 27

Feb 3 2010 update card ordered says to allow for 30 days

Feb 8 2010 update saying approval notice sent

Feb 12 2010 received GC card Permanent resident valid till 2020

Feb 18 2010 went to file ss5 for ssn card as not yet received and center would not find me in ssn files

Filed: Other Timeline
I am not bothered by the "too old" comment.

I'm 30 years older than my wife.

And although she is a little older than I like them, you have to be practical about marriage. So being the prudent man I am, I chose one a little older.

Some might object and say she is too old. go younger. But I am sticking by my decision.

So maybe your brother is doing the same thing. Being practical rather than being led by base physical attractiveness.

Something to think about.

;)

That's just weird on so many levels.

Actually, sometimes it just is and sometimes it isn't....very much depends on the relationship...take it or not.

And yes, I speak from experience.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Actually, sometimes it just is and sometimes it isn't....very much depends on the relationship...take it or not.

And yes, I speak from experience.

Agreed! Especially if one partner is 21 and the other is 40. Wouldn't be so much of a difference if one was 31 and the boyfriend was 50, but so much happens and changes between 21 and 31!

I also speak from experience :P .

:ot2: As hard as it might be, I would stay out of this. Doing background checks and stuff seems to go too far, IMHO.

Conditional Permanent Resident since September 20, 2006

Conditions removed February 23, 2009

I am extraordinarily patient,

provided I get my own way in the end!

Margaret Thatcher

lol don't worry guys...

I am not nor will I ever do a background check.

It crossed my mind for a split second but then it was gone again.

:)

Thanks for all the advice.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.