trailmix

AAA - my new American $50 friend

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I just put a membership application/payment in the mailbox for the automobile association and it made me think.

In Canada if we had a dead battery or the car broke down, there was always someone to call for rescue - here - there is AAA :lol:

We did join CAA before we left Alberta, Calgary to Florida is a long car trip and I figured if the car broke down we would have no idea who to call (and it did break down!) So now i'm thinking, if the car broke down here - who would we call? Really my Husband does the driving, so if he needed car help and he called me to find a tow truck or something, who would I call - I have no idea.

It's just something I guess you kind of take for granted when you are on 'home turf'.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm with you - my husband does all the driving (since I never learned l) and he would know, but I certainly wouldn't

I realized recently - I don't actually know a cab company to call even - I see plenty around, but in an emergency, I probably wouldn't remember a name.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find I kind of hang back and let Don handle a lot of stuff...he knows who to call, he knows the names of places etc etc.... whereas I used to know all that back home. Very definitely taken for granted

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Even though I get really annoyed with him, R always makes me figure things out on my own. Tough love I guess, LOL.

Just the other day I asked him where the DMV is and he wouldn't tell me and made me look it up. He won't be around all the time so I need to be able to find my way around without him. Luckily, I've spent lots of time alone in NYC and find the transit system easy to navigate... but it can be pretty overwhelming!

Sometimes I get really overwhelmed by the thought of getting a job in Manhattan and just working and living in and around the city like it's normal. Should be interesting.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've never had CAA. Jeremy is mechanically inclined so he could help me. And when in doubt I would just dial #TAXI but who knows if that service works in the states lol.

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Don't you love AAA? They have saved me a lot of headaches. Unfortunately I had to have my car towed twice- hit and run accident & a breakdown (the car couldn't turn left or right!) on Thanksgiving Eve. Both times they came quickly and there was not extra paperwork, reimbursement, etc. to deal with.

Timeline

I got auto insurance with Geico when I moved here, and they have emergency assitance as part of their regular package so I just call some 1-800 # and a tow truck is supposed to come find me!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

The Geico works even in Canada, my daughter's b/f lives in Seattle and we are in Vancouver area. The ignition on his Focus became locked with visiting us, and all he did was phone Geico and they sent a truck and towed his car to the Ford dealership. BTW this is a frequent problem with the Focus model - but there has not been a recall.

My BCAA memebership is up for renewal this month and I have been debating whether or not to renew it for another year, as it would still be usable in California this topic has clarified things in my mind - Yes renew.

Janet

Edited by carslo

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Living in Canada, I have CAA membership. Have been a member for years now. I will always re-new it every year. I've had to use their services 4 times since October(loooong stories there!). 3/4 times I didn't pay anything, as it was included with membership.

I would totally recommend CAA/AAA.

Plus, I have my travel insurance with them as well.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

I always had CAA in Canada and used it a number of times - everything from being locked out, to running out of gas in the middle of the night (didn't account for the strong headwind!) to flat tires to a broken water pump. Would never leave home without it - in fact, one of the lock outs occured when in the US and I was able to call AAA and they honoured my CAA account. We have AAA here and Joe had to use it once when the computer system on his car locked and he couldn't get the car out of 2nd gear - on I-75. They towed it to his garage at no charge. I had to use it once for a dead battery and appreciated their assistance. I feel much more comfortable knowing that I have it available if I do need it.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I guess I've been living on the edge! I don't have CAA... I have dear 'ol daddy :lol:

In the US my fiance's parents own an automotive business... So I think I will still have a rescuer in the future. But does it really only cost $50 to join AAA? That may be worth it!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I guess I've been living on the edge! I don't have CAA... I have dear 'ol daddy :lol:

In the US my fiance's parents own an automotive business... So I think I will still have a rescuer in the future. But does it really only cost $50 to join AAA? That may be worth it!

yeah 50 bucks will give you 4 calls for the year.. and you can get a second membership for your SO for about $25.. and they would get 4 calls too..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually it's $64 for the primary and $30 for the spouse, but I got this discount offer thing in the mail.

I'm sure if you mentioned it they would give you the discount.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually it's $64 for the primary and $30 for the spouse, but I got this discount offer thing in the mail.

I'm sure if you mentioned it they would give you the discount.

here in Cali it is $47 for the primary (with a $20 fee for new members) and it is $24 for the spouse

but like you said if you get the offer in the mail, the new member fee is only 2 bucks...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

So is CAA more like AAA or more like AA in the UK?

In the UK, AA will come out and actually try to fix your car before they tow it.

AAA in the US, will bring gas, jump start a battery, change a flat, send a locksmith, or tow your car; but that's all.

Also, I don't think AAA actually has their own fleet, just an operator who will locate and dispatch

a service for you. When I was younger (and didn't have a radar detector) I appreciated the fact that

you could use the AAA card as a bond card, so if you received a ticket, you could offer the AAA card, and retain your license.

They also offered a free world atlas, and free trip routing. I think AAA is a bit outdated today...but Your Mileage May Vary.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

We too got a discount coupon in the mail and thought it might be wise to get AAA. We did so for a year. We used, or tried to use it twice. What a joke. Once was when we were in Florida in fact. They contract out to local garages etc. so they had trouble even finding one in our area. We had numerous phone calls and one operator even said he could get to us, but not until later that evening because he was "busy". One of our rear tires was stuck in a ditch, and we needed a tow out.

We called this 1-800 number, and after 5 hours of waiting and numerous phone calls, we just accepted a pull out by someone passing by. (We had lots of people stop by however we told them, we're good to go, we have AAA!) ha.

The second time we had to use them was in Missouri, and it was because our car wouldn't start, we later found out it was a battery issue, and again, we got a run-around when we called and a wait time of who knows when because again they couldn't find a service person in our area. WTH?

I think the local operator gets paid by AAA probably months after they perform the service, and perhaps with a lot of paperwork, so maybe they just don't like to do it, or they're not affiliated.

I had CAA in Canada and never had any trouble. Now we have a new car, and the manufacturer offers a 3 year roadside assistance package.

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.