JayandZou

Congressional letter BEFORE the K1 interview

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi All,

My fiance has his interview in a few weeks. I decided to call my Congressman's office to have them send an "advanced letter" to the Consulate. I guess it says that they are following our case.

Lately, I've heard bad stories coming out of Casablanca with the officers being very rude. I'm hoping this letter will put a little pressure on the officers to treat my fiance fairly and properly.

Has anyone done this before? I want to make sure it's a good idea before I send off this request to my local Congressman.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Background

January 30, 2008.....Met when having lunch in a hotel in Tangier, Morocco

April, August, November 2008.....3 trips back to Morocco

December 7, 2008.....Engaged

February 2009.....4th Visit to Zouhir in Morocco

May 2009.....5th Visit to Zouhir in Morocco

USCIS - 129F Journey

January 10, 2009.....Sent I-129F to CSC

January 14, 2009.....NOA 1

March 19, 2009..... NOA 2

March 30, 2009.....NVC Received

April 1, 2009.....NVC Sent to Casablanca

April 6, 2009..... Arrived at Casablanca Consulate

April 17, 2009....Received Package 3

May 13, 2009.... INTERVIEW in Casablanca. APPROVED!

May 19, 2009..... Visa in Hand

May, 29, 2009.....Zouhir in US

July 18, 2009..... MARRIED :)

AOS Journey

August 10, 2009..... Sent AOS to Chicago

August 12, 2009..... AOS Signed for in Chicago

August 17, 2009..... NOA 1 for AOS, EAD & AP

Sept 16, 2009.....Biometrics completed

Oct 1, 2009... Approval of AOS, EAD & AP

Nov 4, 2009.....AOS appointment - Zouhir Approved for his Green Card

Nov, 18, 2009.....Greencard in Hand!

"advanced letter"? That's a new one.

Did you think that maybe this letter might make it harder to process?

You basically questioning their ability to be fair. Before they actually do anything.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline
"advanced letter"? That's a new one.

Did you think that maybe this letter might make it harder to process?

You basically questioning their ability to be fair. Before they actually do anything.

I think the letter simply states that the Congressman's office is interested in this case and will want a review? It's not going to say anything about treating him fairly. But I don't know so that's why I'm asking if anyone had done this before.

I certainly don't want to bring "negative attention" to our case. I talked with a friend who used to work in the Embassy in Denmark in the early 1990s. He said when they got a letter from a congressman, they had to respond in 24 hours and give a full explanation about their decision. He is the one that suggested maybe doing an advanced letter so they are ready to give an explanation if they refuse.

Please let me know if anyone has done this... Thanks!

Background

USCIS - 129F Journey

AOS Journey

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Interesting idea. The advice is a bit dated. Not sure how it works in the post 9/11 world. Keep us posted on how the interview goes.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I called my Congressman's office just to let them know that we were filing DCF and and assistant took down our names and asked me where I was now, and she told me to call them if we got denied or needed their assistance after we went to the interview. She specifically said that they would get involved only if we needed them after the interview. And she told me to call them if we had gotten approved as well. I called them immediately after we got approved and the same assistant told me that she was happy for us. Hey what do I know anyway, just letting you know what I was told.

Edited by Rosie and Farid

Oct 28,2006 Met online in Yahoo messenger
Dec 2,2007 Traveled to Morocco and decided to stay
Jan 7,2008 Got married in Zaio
Mar 2,2008 Got my Moroccan residency
Oct 23,2008 Direct Consular filed at consulate
Oct 31,2008 Got interview call for Dec 22nd
Nov 11,2008 Medical exam done
Dec 22,2008 Interview and got approved
Dec 23,2008 Visa issued, thanks to God
Jan 20,2009 Flew home to Texas.
Jan 21,2009 Living and working in Los Fresnos, Texas
Oct 30,2010 Filed I-751 Lifting of Conditions
Nov 2, 2010 NOA1
Dec 10,2010 Biometrics
Mar 23,2011 Approved Lifting of Conditions
Oct 28,2011 Filed N-400 Naturalization
Nov 02,2011 NOA 1
Nov 28,2011 Recd text/email placed inline for interview schedule
Dec 01,2011 Recd text/email interview scheduled,pending letter
Jan 10,2012 Interview Date
Jan 10,2012 Interview Cancelled and will be rescheduled per
USCIS as Farid can only interview after Jan 20th
Feb 23,2012 Citizenship Interview Date-Farid passed. Wohoo
July 6,2012 Oath Ceremony-McAllen Texas

March 20,2013 Petitioned for Momma

March 9, 2015 Momma arrives in Texas to live with us.

January 30, 2016 Momma leaves back to Morocco for a visit.

I HAD AN ADVANCED LETTER SENT. IF IT DID ANYTHING, IT SLOWED OUR CASE DOWN. WE WERE SENT THROUGH FRAUD PREVENTION, EVEN THOUGH MY WIFE IS THE NIECE OF THE CHIEF JUSTICE OF THE SUPREME COURT IN HER COUNTRY!!!!

Timeline
I HAD AN ADVANCED LETTER SENT. IF IT DID ANYTHING, IT SLOWED OUR CASE DOWN. WE WERE SENT THROUGH FRAUD PREVENTION, EVEN THOUGH MY WIFE IS THE NIECE OF THE CHIEF JUSTICE OF THE SUPREME COURT IN HER COUNTRY!!!!

Wow... Thank you for that advice. I called my congressman's office back and they said it would be a positive letter but maybe I should just wait on it and see what happens. At least they would know about our case and could get involved if I needed it. I certainly don't want to SLOW IT DOWN! Ugghhh... Thanks for the advice

And thanks Rosie for your thoughts too!

Background

USCIS - 129F Journey

AOS Journey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP might want to write a PM to Marc Ellis (immigration attorney), who is a member of VJ under the name ellis-island.

It would be very interesting, and perhaps valuable to many VJ members, to hear what Mr. Ellis says about an advance letter.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
The OP might want to write a PM to Marc Ellis (immigration attorney), who is a member of VJ under the name ellis-island.

It would be very interesting, and perhaps valuable to many VJ members, to hear what Mr. Ellis says about an advance letter.

I emailed Marc so we'll wait for his answer. Good idea. :)

Background

USCIS - 129F Journey

AOS Journey

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If the case is refused & returned, ask the congressional rep for a copy of the return memorandum,

or at least the specific factual reasons - not boilerplate - the visa was denied.

Most of them won't carry it that far. They'll just 'express an interest' and the consulate will send

back a bland boilerplate reply. Then your rep will say, "so sorry, nothing more we can do."

We had one recently from Mary Landrieu that DEMANDED in very strong terms a re-interview.

It demanded that I be present at the re-interview. It pointed out the out dated information

a refusal had been based on.

Rather than go through the hassle of trying to reply to a certain loser of a refusal -

point-by-point, the chief took the easy way out and approved the visa, over-riding

the interviewing officer.

If your Congressional rep gets pissed off at the way his or her constituents are being treated --

they can help a lot. If they don't care, they won't be much help.

Don't bet your whole future on what you read

on a message board or in a chat room.

This is not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is intended.

You should not infer one.It's information of general applicablity.

Do not take any action without first consulting a qualified immigration attorney in greater detail.

John Marcus "Marc" Ellis, Attorney

American Immigration Lawyers (AILA)

membership number 10373

Timeline

If the case is refused & returned, ask the congressional rep for a copy of the return memorandum,

or at least the specific factual reasons - not boilerplate - the visa was denied.

Most of them won't carry it that far. They'll just 'express an interest' and the consulate will send

back a bland boilerplate reply. Then your rep will say, "so sorry, nothing more we can do."

We had one recently from Mary Landrieu that DEMANDED in very strong terms a re-interview.

It demanded that I be present at the re-interview. It pointed out the out dated information

a refusal had been based on.

Rather than go through the hassle of trying to reply to a certain loser of a refusal -

point-by-point, the chief took the easy way out and approved the visa, over-riding

the interviewing officer.

If your Congressional rep gets pissed off at the way his or her constituents are being treated --

they can help a lot. If they don't care, they won't be much help.

Thanks Marc. So you are saying it's only beneficial to get the Congressperson involved AFTER the interview if there is a problem, not before.

Background

USCIS - 129F Journey

AOS Journey

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wow... Thank you for that advice. I called my congressman's office back and they said it would be a positive letter but maybe I should just wait on it and see what happens. At least they would know about our case and could get involved if I needed it. I certainly don't want to SLOW IT DOWN! Ugghhh... Thanks for the advice

I'm so glad I found this thread. Just today I was thinking of writing to my Congressman to alert him of our situation in case I need to contact him if something goes wrong at my husband's interview in June, i.e. if he gets placed in "additional processing" without a specific reason or timeframe or, heaven forbid, denied. I was thinking it would be a good idea for my Congressman to have the facts of the case and my signed release form ahead of time as an extra safeguard. I'm going to be in Casablanca for the interview and if something goes awry, I'd want to contact my Congressman immediately to have him deal with the consulate on my behalf, as it seems this consulate won't discuss the matter directly with citizen spouses. I don't think I'd ask for an advance letter to be sent though. I'm not anticipating any problems at the interview. We've known each other for more than 6 years, have been married 7 months, have a ton of bona fide marriage evidence, he has an unusual Berber name, etc., but like others, I've read some of the miserable stories about this consulate :blink:

Good luck with your interview JayandZou, and do let us know how it goes. :thumbs:

Timeline

I'm so glad I found this thread. Just today I was thinking of writing to my Congressman to alert him of our situation in case I need to contact him if something goes wrong at my husband's interview in June, i.e. if he gets placed in "additional processing" without a specific reason or timeframe or, heaven forbid, denied. I was thinking it would be a good idea for my Congressman to have the facts of the case and my signed release form ahead of time as an extra safeguard. I'm going to be in Casablanca for the interview and if something goes awry, I'd want to contact my Congressman immediately to have him deal with the consulate on my behalf, as it seems this consulate won't discuss the matter directly with citizen spouses. I don't think I'd ask for an advance letter to be sent though. I'm not anticipating any problems at the interview. We've known each other for more than 6 years, have been married 7 months, have a ton of bona fide marriage evidence, he has an unusual Berber name, etc., but like others, I've read some of the miserable stories about this consulate :blink:

Good luck with your interview JayandZou, and do let us know how it goes. :thumbs:

Hi Vivian,

Yes, I decided NOT to have my Congressman send the advanced letter. I called them back and told them I changed my mind but I did say that I'm happy you know about our Case/Interview so if something goes wrong, I can call them immediately. I must have called the Congressman's office 4 or 5 times and the young guy who answered each time was so helpful. I think he'll remember me if I need to call in the next few weeks.

I will also be in Casablanca with Zouhir for his interview. They don't allow the petitioners inside the Consulate but at least I'll be close-by for loving support. We have a ton of evidence as well from 6 trips to Morocco in the last 16 months. I pray that makes a difference but who knows these days.

Good luck Vivian and thanks for your good wishes! Good luck to all!

Background

USCIS - 129F Journey

AOS Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.