Clownies

AOS RFE Affidavit of Support

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Well well well, I'm getting frustrated beyond belief here!

I just got an RFE for my AOS, saying that my wife doesn't meet the financial requirements. The thing is, being unemployed, she used my assets (savings, life insurance, apartment). Immigration Services requires us to reach 5 times the difference between what she has and the 125% poverty line. Well, with my assets, we reach 8 times the difference!! And still it's not enough apparently! I don't understand those people! I have money, i have assets, so why are they giving us a hard time? :angry:

Ok, I know what you guys are gonna say: find a joint-sponsor! Sure, we'll try, but what if we can't find one?

Don't you think they would be easier ways, for everyone? Like saying, nobody needs an Affidavit to immigrate, but you won't be able to rely on US social security for a period of 10 years!

Wishful thinking, we're in the US after all!

But I do have an appointment for Biometrics next Wednesday! :D

Universal Healthcare is a Human Right

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Under the current guidelines if you refer to the I-864 instructions, it states that someone else's income/assets can only be included if they have resided in the home for 6 months. If you haven't lived together for 6 months or more, then only your wife's income/assets could be considered and if she doesn't make enough then a joint sponsor would be required.

I believe I read those stipulations are changing as of July possibly, but I don't know if that helps in your situation since your documents were submitted before any changes.

Best of luck to you.

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Timeline
Under the current guidelines if you refer to the I-864 instructions, it states that someone else's income/assets can only be included if they have resided in the home for 6 months. If you haven't lived together for 6 months or more, then only your wife's income/assets could be considered and if she doesn't make enough then a joint sponsor would be required.

I believe I read those stipulations are changing as of July possibly, but I don't know if that helps in your situation since your documents were submitted before any changes.

Best of luck to you.

In the same instructions, a paragraph states that the US citizen can use the immigrants assets. The 6 months aren't mentioned in that paragraph.

Another paragraph does mention those 6 months, when a member of the household is used for the application. But here it doesn't specify wether or not this is the immigrant.

Any lawyers here? :whistle:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Sorry to hear about the RFE. Hope you can get a joint sponsor.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: Timeline

Clownies,

You seem to understand correctly - the 6 months applies to using a Household Member's (who could be the immigrant) income. It does not apply to using the immigrant spouse's assets. The assets must be convertable into cash that can be available in the USA within 1 year. Did you demonstrate this?

By the way, I'm not an immigration lawyer. You may want to take the I-864 package you submitted to one for an knowledgable review.

Yodrak

Best of luck to you.

In the same instructions, a paragraph states that the US citizen can use the immigrants assets. The 6 months aren't mentioned in that paragraph.

Another paragraph does mention those 6 months, when a member of the household is used for the application. But here it doesn't specify wether or not this is the immigrant.

Any lawyers here? :whistle:

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline
Clownies,

You seem to understand correctly - the 6 months applies to using a Household Member's (who could be the immigrant) income. It does not apply to using the immigrant spouse's assets. The assets must be convertable into cash that can be available in the USA within 1 year. Did you demonstrate this?

By the way, I'm not an immigration lawyer. You may want to take the I-864 package you submitted to one for an knowledgable review.

Yodrak

Yodrak,

Savings and life insurance, de facto immediately converted in cash. My appartment convertible in cash once i put it out in the market. Instructions says assets have to be convertible in cash within one year, so i'm good here too. I have paper from the Notary saying how much it was worth at the time i purchased it, and a paper from a real estate agent saying how much it's worth now. I exceed 8 times the requirements, instead of 5. The more: with the new guidelines, as of July 21, those requirements are lowered to 3 times the difference between income and 125% poverty level, AND the 6 months aren't required anymore!

I have an infopass today to find out more about it...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Clownies,

Yodrak

Yodrak,

Savings and life insurance, de facto immediately converted in cash. My appartment convertible in cash once i put it out in the market. Instructions says assets have to be convertible in cash within one year, so i'm good here too. I have paper from the Notary saying how much it was worth at the time i purchased it, and a paper from a real estate agent saying how much it's worth now. I exceed 8 times the requirements, instead of 5. The more: with the new guidelines, as of July 21, those requirements are lowered to 3 times the difference between income and 125% poverty level, AND the 6 months aren't required anymore!

Sorry to hear that.I got a rfe posted on the 23rd for more information.It should arrive today or tomorrow and i have a feeling i could be in the say boat.

I-751 - Removal of conditions

10-20-2008 - Sent package via usps - overnite mail

10-22-2008 - Package received and signed.

10-28-2008 - Cheque cashed

12-02-2008 - Biometrics in Boston

10-03-2009 - Transferred to CSV

10-04-2009 - 10 year GC on the way

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
Savings and life insurance, de facto immediately converted in cash.

Clownies,

I am not an expert, but does life insurance serves the purpose to support YOU? Life and DISABILITY insurance could serve this purpose, but only life insurance :unsure:

Filed: Timeline

Clownies,

If you don't get satisfaction at the InfoPass appointment you might want to take the financial information package to an immigration attorney for a review of how it looks. If the attorney agrees that what you have should be adequate then perhaps hire them to write a response to the RFE detailing how the requirements are in fact being met.

Yodrak

Clownies,

Yodrak

Yodrak,

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline

Savings and life insurance, de facto immediately converted in cash.

Clownies,

I am not an expert, but does life insurance serves the purpose to support YOU? Life and DISABILITY insurance could serve this purpose, but only life insurance :unsure:

Well it is called Life Insurance, but actually it's basically just a savings account with a high interest rate. I can retrieve and deposit money anytime i want. Actually it's not really a life insurance. I don't know why they call it that way. :unsure:

Clownies,

If you don't get satisfaction at the InfoPass appointment you might want to take the financial information package to an immigration attorney for a review of how it looks. If the attorney agrees that what you have should be adequate then perhaps hire them to write a response to the RFE detailing how the requirements are in fact being met.

Yodrak

I got back from the Infopass, and got some satisfaction indeed (I hope). The officer basically said that the people working on the case don't really understand what they're doing. :lol:

He told me to fill in a new Affidavit, the newest version effective July 21st, but can already be used. With this new Affidavit, which is supposed to be clearer and easier, the petitioner can use my assets.

So here i go downloading this thing and hopefully send it tomorrow!

Let this be good news for all people starting on their AOS application!

Wish me luck!

Edited by Clownies

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I hope you figure it out quickly and successfully.

*Goes off to look at this new I-864*... I get the equivalent of $900 US a month from Canada and couldn't use it because of the dang 6 month 'rule'. :angry:

Edited by Canuck Carrie

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Timeline

Yeah well, I just checked that so called EZ Affidavit.. I CAN NOT use the darn thing! The petitioner can use it when he or she only wants to use his or her income. Assets are not being mentioned here! What's wrong with those people at CSC?? :angry:

I think i'm gonna apply for a job there, once i have my EAD. At least I KNOW what this is all about! :devil:

I'm just wondering, maybe the officer working on my case in Chicago didn't see the attached sheet with the list of my assets.. Naaah! They're not that stupid! Are they? hmmm... :whistle:

I guess I'm gonna sleep over it, and call the 1-800 number tomorrow... Better have a cup of coffee and a newspaper handy all the while being on hold... :D

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Clownies,

Only other thing I didn't see you mention was mortgage info on the apartment---do you owe anything on it?

If so, only the equity may count as an asset (value minus what you owe).

But I suspect that whoever reviewd your data at wherever they do that now doesn't understand the finer points. Do as Yodrak suggests and get someone legal-like to review it, or, resubmit with everything spelled out more slowly for them. :lol:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
Clownies,

Only other thing I didn't see you mention was mortgage info on the apartment---do you owe anything on it?

If so, only the equity may count as an asset (value minus what you owe).

But I suspect that whoever reviewd your data at wherever they do that now doesn't understand the finer points. Do as Yodrak suggests and get someone legal-like to review it, or, resubmit with everything spelled out more slowly for them. :lol:

no mortgage, no loan, no nothing. I owe it, it's mine. I was smart enough not to sell it so i'll always have a backup plan in case anything goes wrong here. Plus it's a good investment.

I'm gonna try calling the uscis 1-800 number, then go to an immigration lawyer.

They have an immigration lawyers office right in front of the San Francisco USCIS office. How convenient! :lol:

Smart lawyers! :devil:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Not 1-800#!!!

boy, you ARE a glutten for punishement! :lol:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.