rainmaykr

Conflicting information - please help

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I got a temporary permanent resident (GREEN) card on December 31st 2007. It is only a two year card after which I thought I could get citizenship. Having read some information here and read other information online it looks like I can't apply for three years?

I am not being lazy - just worried that I have made a mistake somewhere - why would my card expire before I could get citizenship - is this normal?

Can someone show me a link to a normal timeline?

Thanks in advance,

Phily

Philip & Adrienne -Tiochfaidh ar la

Faith - Hope - Love

Met online March 05

Met in Person March 06

Phily came to America May-Aug 06

Engaged August 4th 2006! :)

Adrienne came to Ireland Sep - Nov 07

Phily came for Christmas 07

Filed for K1 23rd Jan 07

NAO1 Received 30th Jan 07

NAO2 Received 7th Feb 07

US Embassy Interview Date June 1st 2007 London, England

K1 Visa Received 3rd June 07

Entered America 18th June

Married August 4th woo hoo!

Applied for Change of Status 28th August 07

Received NOA moneys received 28th September 07

Biometrics Appointment October 13th 07

Work Permit Received November 1st 07

NOA - application moved to California office for processing! Dec 14th 07

NOA - Received Letter welcoming me to the USA - Dec 21st 07

Permanent Residence Approved! Greencard to arrive in 3 weeks!

Green card arrives! December 31st 2007

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I got a temporary permanent resident (GREEN) card on December 31st 2007. It is only a two year card after which I thought I could get citizenship. Having read some information here and read other information online it looks like I can't apply for three years?

I am not being lazy - just worried that I have made a mistake somewhere - why would my card expire before I could get citizenship - is this normal?

Thanks in advance,

Phily

a greencard holder is never obliged to apply for citizenship, so while the paths have some commonality, they are mutually exclusive....

You will need to submit an I-751 to get the 10yr greencard... at anytime then one year or later, if you so choose, you can apply for citizenship.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Thanks in advance,

Phily

I went through the same process so I may be able to explain a little. A 2y GC is given when the residency is based on marriage to a USC. It is called a temporary GC and you must apply for a lifting of conditions I751 within 90 days of your second anniversary as a GC holder. The process will then turn your conditional residency into a permanent one (10 year GC). If your first GC is dated Dec 2007, you should be able to file for I751 in sept 2009. Once you are approved, you can file for citizenship in sep 2010. You should check the forums for lifting of conditions or I-751. You'll check timelines and other people's experiences. Good Luck!

animated_us_flag.gifN-400 TIMELINE / NYC District Office

03/10/09--------SENT

03/16/09--------NOA priority date

03/24/09--------NOA DATE

04/01/09--------FP notice date

04/14/09--------FP DATE

06/01/09--------IL notice date

07/23/09--------IL DATE -----APPROVED

08/04/09--------Oath --------US CITIZEN

08/04/09--------Applied for passport

08/14/09--------Received passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

No nothings wrong...the first green card is good for 2 years thats why its temporary...and 3 months before that card expires so in your case in september 2009 ..you have to apply for removing the conditions I-751 form (the 10 year green card) then if you want to apply for citizenship do it after 3 years...or 3 months before 3 years...

Usually you r eligible to apply for citizenship in 3 years through marriage and 5 years by being a permanent resident.

here are the forums for removing conditions http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=86

Good luck

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks in advance,

Phily

You need to file to remove the conditions on the Greencard, that is why it is only valid for 2 years. see the guide for full details of what you need to do to remove conditions.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=751guide

Once you have been a LPR for 3 years and you meet all the other requirements you can file for Citizenship, BUT you must file to remove the conditions at the right time before you can do anything else.

Timeline

Thanks for the info! I thought I could apply for Citizenship after two years and now feel like an idiot! Everything makes sense and looks straightforward - just more form filling and evidence to attach.

I had hoped to move home to Ireland for a few years but it doens't look like that is going to happen anytime soon..... oh well

Faith - Hope - Love

Met online March 05

Met in Person March 06

Filed for K1 23rd Jan 07

NAO2 Received 7th Feb 07

Thanks for the info! I thought I could apply for Citizenship after two years and now feel like an idiot! Everything makes sense and looks straightforward - just more form filling and evidence to attach.

And being extorted for more money. :blush:

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Lifting conditions by applying for the ten year card with the I-751 is a very serious matter, and if you do not apply in a timely manner, you can get deported! You are no longer here legally, neither can work nor travel. And the USCIS I see is still painfully slow on this process, still issuing a one year extension notice that you need to carry along with your expired green card to be here legally.

And it's your responsibility to stay legal, we came within a week of having to make an infopass appointment to stay here legally for my wife and daughter, can either get a I-551 stamp in a current valid foreign passport, or bring in two passport photos and get an I-94. But finally after a 14 month and one week long stressful wait, their ten year cards came in. My wife only enjoyed that ten year card for seven weeks when she had her oath ceremony and they took it back.

You can apply for USC with an expired green card and a copy of that one year extension, we did, and as a matter of fact was one year and one day later when we appolied for the I-751 with two concerns, when will we get those ten year cards, and when will my wife get her interview, then it's finally all over. Then you worry about getting your US passport, can no longer travel with your foreign passport and with US citizenship, well you can leave, but you can't come back like you did with that green card.

Better put a date on your refrigerator door when you I-751 is due, count 90 days including the date of your second anniversary, have it all prepared and suggest sending it overnight with a return receipt and pay by personal check so you have the canceled check as well for proof you did send it. USCIS is well know for losing applications, but that is your fault, not theirs. You may need that proof to prevent from getting deported. And do not send it a couple of days early, they may also reject it, even though it takes them months to process your application.

Timeline

So just to clarify:

If I received my temporary Greencard on December 31st 2007 I can technically apply for the 10 year Green card In September 2009.

I can then apply for full citizenship in September 2010?

One final question:

How long does citizenship take?

Faith - Hope - Love

Met online March 05

Met in Person March 06

Filed for K1 23rd Jan 07

NAO2 Received 7th Feb 07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
So just to clarify:

If I received my temporary Greencard on December 31st 2007 I can technically apply for the 10 year Green card In September 2009.

I can then apply for full citizenship in September 2010?

One final question:

Yes

Yes

Depends on how busy your local USCIS office is... look it up in processing times area for an idea

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Months to years. Everyone has different experiences. Based on your application, past history, processing times, INS filings, investigations etc. There is no specific time line, it always varies from person to person.

For example I filed in Nov and got my interview in Jan and oath in Feb. Mine was fairly quick. Others have been over a year waiting and held up in name checks or other issues...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.