2,067 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Welll, 'er indoors' alarm didn't go off this morning (our young'un turned her phone onto silent last night without her noticing :lol: ) so she's had to call in. This is quite handy though, cuz it means we can get our marriage licence today. I'll also be taking a trip to the DMV to see what's what with the driving licence, and report my findings here. Of course, the info is only good for those planning on moving to Ilinois, but I'll post it anyway.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

I contacted DMV about a NC drivers license.

They advised that i would need to re-take my road test and do a written test, but if i did this before AOS was completed license would only last the same time i had remaining on my I-94, i would then need to re-do the tests. But the good news is they would only charge $4.

So i'm going to wait until AOS has been completed then take the driving tests, don't fancy taking them twice, in NC i can drive on my UK license for 6months...thought it was 12 but never mind!

07/15/2008 I-129f sent to VSC

07/19/2008 I-129f received at VSC

12/09/2008 NOA2 approved

01/13/2009 Medical completed

02/03/2009 Interview - APPROVED!!

02/28/2009 POE Raleigh/Durham

05/02/2009 Official wedding day...get to see the family!

04/11/2009 AOS paperwork sent

04/17/2009 NOA for I-765 & I-131

05/13/2009 Biometrics appointment

05/08/2009 Biometrics done

06/05/2009 EAD & AP approved

06/23/2009 back in the UK

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just finishing up the last bits for AOS, and sending off...we've been busy busy busy with the Little One and all that...plus I changed hours at work, so it's a bit hectic!!!!

We ran into a wall with SSN, as the stupid woman at our office didn't understand the policy even with it spelled out in front of her...so we're going to try again on Thursday...

Jason, which office did you go to? I went to the one in Worthington and it took me about 2 minutes to get my card... Maybe try there if it's anywhere near you? I think it's worthington, right next to the bid mcdonalds.....

(for the moment, ive moved on from 'all things medical' to 'all things driver's license')

can anyone translate this for me? (its the vermont DMV requirements for getting a DL/learner's permit (thats jamie, he doesnt know how to drive yet)/non-driver ID (or we might do this one)).

NOTE:

Non-US citizens who wish to obtain a Learner Permit, Driver License, or Non-Driver Identification Card
must provide proof of valid legal presence in the United States for at least 180 days from the date of the Learner Permit or Driver License Issuance forward
Examples of acceptable proof include a Permanent Resident card (I-551), or a foreign passport with a US visa and I-94, showing class and expiration date. Further documentation may be required for some classes, such as students and exchange visitors. Any license or permit issued to a non-immigrant citizen of a foreign country shall expire coincidentally with his or her authorized duration of stay.

Primary Identity documents include the following "Citizen & Immigration Services (CIS)" documents:

Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570, or N-578)

Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, N-561, or N-645)

Northern Marina Card (I-551)

American Indian Card (I-551)

U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179 or I-197)

Resident Alien Card (I-151, I-551, AR-3, AR-3A, or AR-103)

Temporary Resident Identification Card (K-688)

Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card (I-185 or I-586)

Record of Arrival and Department (in a valid Foreign Passport) (I-94 or I-94W visa waiver program)

Record of Arrival and Departure w/attached photo stamped "Temporary Proof of Lawful Permanent Resident" (I-94)

Processed for I-551 stamp (in a valid Foreign Passport)

Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit (I-327)

Refugee Travel Document (I-571)

Record of Arrival and Departure (in a Certificate of Identity) (I-94)

Record of Arrival and Departure Stamped "Refugee", "Parole", "Parolee" or "Asylee") (I-94)

Employment Authorization Document (card) "
EAD
" Ins. form I-766

[feel free to strike out any other ones that are not options/not forms we will see anytime too soon.]

so what i am wondering is which, if any, of these documents will fit the bill? the most likely looks like the EAD, right? im just wondering because it means we will have to put off the DMV stuff for awhile.

the I-94 that is issued at the POE when entering on a K-1 visa is only valid for 90 days, correct?

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

blah blah blah

found a vermont reference!

Hi, I'm in Ohio and I want to get my drivers license.

I'm in the middle of AOS/EAD and my EAD just got approved (got letter in mail today).

What all do I need to get my DL, what documents do I have to show them?

Do I need to wait for my work permit to get here, then get my SSN and then DL? or can I get my DL already without having my workpermit?

Check with state DMV. In Vermont we needed only marriage lisence and copy of I-797C showing we filed AOS. My wife had her SSN one week after arriving and her drivers lisence 2 months before green card.

but i dont see i-797C on the list? guess we could give it a shot.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I never bothered with an I-693 and they never asked for one. I just sent them a copy of the form I got from the medical with all my vaccinations sent off.

Me either. I received an RFE due to my I-864 lacking a signature but this did not delay receiving my EAD or, in fact, my green card. I had an interview too. No mention of I-693 at all. Worst that can happen is an RFE.

Plus, to be honest, after all the excessive K1 and embassy interview stressing, I really didn't see the point in sweating AOS and pretty much threw the paperwork together (hence the RFE) whilst grumbling about spending $1010 we could ill afford. All I cared about, in terms of AOS, was being able to work and the EAD typically comes well before a decision is made on your resident status.

I think that Vermont allows some exceptions to the 180 day rule and one of these is 'married with K1 and applying for AOS'

at least that is what it says on their DMV website if you look at the small print.

I'm waiting for my EAD before I apply and just driving on the international license with a UK license.

Cheers

I never bothered with an I-693 and they never asked for one. I just sent them a copy of the form I got from the medical with all my vaccinations sent off.

Me either. I received an RFE due to my I-864 lacking a signature but this did not delay receiving my EAD or, in fact, my green card. I had an interview too. No mention of I-693 at all. Worst that can happen is an RFE.

Plus, to be honest, after all the excessive K1 and embassy interview stressing, I really didn't see the point in sweating AOS and pretty much threw the paperwork together (hence the RFE) whilst grumbling about spending $1010 we could ill afford. All I cared about, in terms of AOS, was being able to work and the EAD typically comes well before a decision is made on your resident status.

Just a note on the comments above-- They had medicals prior to the new rules so were not under the new form or TST requirements so keep that in mind when deciding what to do. Nick, on the other hand, was after the cut-off date and also received a GC without new form and TST. Just wanted to point out that you need to look at when the K1 medical probably happened when you're gathering info.

And this is a good place to ask questions about driver's license because you will find more people with experience from your state.

Moving Here and Your New Life in America

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Well, I got my marriage licence yesterday from the local courthouse; now all I have to do is make an appointment to do the deed, which I'll be doing today.

Scary stuff. :wacko:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Received my letter today with my biometrics appointment for the 23rd April :)

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent : 2nd July 2008

NOA1 : 25th July 2008

NOA2 : 28th November 2008

NVC Received : 2nd December 2008

NVC Left : 12th January 2009

Consulate Received : 26th January 2009

Packet 3 Sent : 27th January 2009

Interview: 19th February 2009

Visa in hand : 24th February 2009

Flew to US: 28th February 2009

Wedding Day 10th March 2009 in snowy Colorado

AOS Journey

AOS package sent : 24th March 2009

NOA: 31st March 2009

AOS transferred to CSC: 13th April 2009

Biometrics Appt: 23rd April 2009

AOS approved 13th May 2009

Green Card received 9th June 2009

Stuck in AP at NVC thread

UK AOS Progress Timeline

Timeline

OK, so get this:

I rocked up at the DMV office in Carbondale, IL, and inquired as to how I went about getting an Illinois licence, and how long I can drive on my UK one. I was told I only had 90 days on my UK one, but not to worry, because "we don't ask you how long you've been here, so don't worry about it. Just make sure you don't get pulled over if you're over the 90 days."

So half of me is like... :lol::thumbs: and the other half is like....icon_eek.gif. This is an official government agency, ffs!!

Ya gotta love the boonies!! :lol:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Just a note on the comments above-- They had medicals prior to the new rules so were not under the new form or TST requirements so keep that in mind when deciding what to do. Nick, on the other hand, was after the cut-off date and also received a GC without new form and TST. Just wanted to point out that you need to look at when the K1 medical probably happened when you're gathering info.

Yes, we had medicals before the new TST requirements, which appears to be somewhat irrelevant given your experience under the new regulations of receiving AOS approval without the I-693A. Many people have submitted DS-3025 with their I-485 and have had successful outcomes. However, I did make it clear in my original post that there is a risk, i.e. an RFE for the I-693A, and this was and is the risk, regardless of when the K1 medical took place in terms of new requirements. So the point of your 'note' was what?

As long as the DS-3025 vaccination record is complete and is less than a year old when submitted it will probably be accepted. No promises people, ok? It could result in an RFE and a delay in processing. If that freaks you out don't take the risk. Ok?

My post, and Pauline's I assume, were intended to help people relax about AOS. There seems to be an atmosphere of nannying and stressing people over minutiae on the UK forum of late. Adjusting to everyday life in the US is demanding enough.

OK, so get this:

I rocked up at the DMV office in Carbondale, IL, and inquired as to how I went about getting an Illinois licence, and how long I can drive on my UK one. I was told I only had 90 days on my UK one, but not to worry, because "we don't ask you how long you've been here, so don't worry about it. Just make sure you don't get pulled over if you're over the 90 days."

So half of me is like... :lol::thumbs: and the other half is like....icon_eek.gif. This is an official government agency, ffs!!

Ya gotta love the boonies!! :lol:

Sounds like a nice relaxed place to live :)

Did you get your date booked for the wedding?

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent : 2nd July 2008

NOA1 : 25th July 2008

NOA2 : 28th November 2008

NVC Received : 2nd December 2008

NVC Left : 12th January 2009

Consulate Received : 26th January 2009

Packet 3 Sent : 27th January 2009

Interview: 19th February 2009

Visa in hand : 24th February 2009

Flew to US: 28th February 2009

Wedding Day 10th March 2009 in snowy Colorado

AOS Journey

AOS package sent : 24th March 2009

NOA: 31st March 2009

AOS transferred to CSC: 13th April 2009

Biometrics Appt: 23rd April 2009

AOS approved 13th May 2009

Green Card received 9th June 2009

Stuck in AP at NVC thread

UK AOS Progress Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey all!

Figured I'd join in.

Sent all my AOS stuff out in October/November. Got my AP and EAD already. My case was transferred to CSC in December I think. (timeline check)! :whistle:

Apparently it is better to have your case transferred if you're lucky as it means no interview, however, the folks with interviews seem to be processed and approved faster. According to the November filers timeline guide. :wacko:

So now I'm just sitting back and waiting.

Also just sent copy of my medical from London. So far so good!

Good luck to all! :thumbs:

Yes, we had medicals before the new TST requirements, which appears to be somewhat irrelevant given your experience under the new regulations of receiving AOS approval without the I-693A. Many people have submitted DS-3025 with their I-485 and have had successful outcomes. However, I did make it clear in my original post that there is a risk, i.e. an RFE for the I-693A, and this was and is the risk, regardless of when the K1 medical took place in terms of new requirements. So the point of your 'note' was what?

Sorry if you were offended. It was more about the new TST thing. I thought people just starting AOS need to know to look at when medicals were done before they start counting up who got by without a TST and making up their own minds on what to do.

My post, and Pauline's I assume, were intended to help people relax about AOS. There seems to be an atmosphere of nannying and stressing people over minutiae on the UK forum of late. Adjusting to everyday life in the US is demanding enough.

I TOTALLY agree that the UK interview forum has a bunch of people stressing over minutiae, but telling them to relax seems to fall on deaf ears.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.