Sweetjuly

STUCK @ NVC for AP

3,046 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We've been at NVC since Nov 18, we just found out yesterday we are in AP or administrative processing (backround check). :o Is anyone alse in this situation, maybe we can keep track together.

Thanks~

Timeline

This is the first time that I have read or heard about AP by NVC. You mentioned about a background check, background check on who? The petitioner? If USCIS has approved the petition, if NVC has issued a MNL case number, why the redundant background check? Well, lets wait and see. NVC received our approved petition on Nov. 20 and on that date it sent a letter to my fiance that it was sending the approved petition to Manila for appropriate action. It's been 2 weeks and the case is still at NVC.

My friends, anybody who has undergone any AP or background check by NVC? Please relate your experience on this regard.

philippines-Flag.gifgolfer.gifcalifornia.gif

3014749141_d554587673.jpg

We're stuck there as well.

They received our case 19th September. Sent out 2 letters, on the 24th and 26th November stating it would be forwarded in a week.

Told after speaking with a supervisor that we are in AP and have been since 21st November. Can't explain why either letter was sent. They can't actually locate our case at all.

I don't understand why they are fiddling with a petition that has already been approved. What are they going to do...rescind it or something?

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Timeline

From what I've learned from other people here on VJ, it is quite the norm for NVC to do additional backround checks on the petitioner/beneficiary, in most cases the petitioner. It's very frustrating as they will not volunteer to tell you you are in AP unless you specifically ask them that question. We called just about everyday to ask if our case had been sent to Manila and the only answer we got was "No, not yet". We later called a second time on the same day and asked if we were in AP, and they said "Yes." Why couldnt they just disclose that from the beginning.

We were even sent 3 letters stating that our approved petition was recd by their office and that they would forward the petition to Manila within a week...... well it never left and now the waiting begins until they are done doing their checks... I have done a lot of research in VJ's timeline and the maximum for a K1 petition under AP at NVC was 4 weeks that I could see. I just hope we dont go longer than that.

Good Luck to us all, and lets pray this ends soon...

Timeline
We've been at NVC since Nov 18, we just found out yesterday we are in AP or administrative processing (backround check). :o Is anyone alse in this situation, maybe we can keep track together.

Thanks~

We have been at NVC since Nov. 19 and no word since then. I guess I should call and see what is going on...thanks for the post :thumbs:

Timeline

Thanks~

We have been at NVC since Nov. 19 and no word since then. I guess I should call and see what is going on...thanks for the post :thumbs:

Dont forget to ask about AP specifically... Good Luck

We did ask, specifically 3 times. And every time they said no. We had been the entire time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

All USCIS does is approve that you are eligible to apply for a visa. They do not actually approve your getting of the visa; this is done by the NVC and DOS. Since these agencies perform different functions, you would expect that they perform their own security. Likewise, this additional redundancy helps prevent things falling through the cracks. My wife's case is on AP at the embassy level. I know of another case that was on AP at NVC and it took them 3 months to get out. There is pretty much nothing you can do here. There is value though to keep calling NVC as it resets the clock for your petition expiring. I know for a CR1 visa, cases expire at NVC after a year. I do not know if the same applies for a K1 though.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan

Marriage : 2007-11-24

I-130 Sent : 2008-01-17

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-12

Expedite Request Approved - 2008-04-17

NOA2: 2008-04-22

National Visa Center

Case Number Assigned: 2008-04-25

DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill Generated: 2008-05-05

AOS Fee Bill Paid: 2008-05-03

DS-3032 Accepted: 2008-05-07

I-864 Hard Copy Mailed: 2008-05-07

IV Fee Bill Paid - 2008-08-04

DS230 Mailed - 2008-08-06

Case Completed - 2008-08-13

Interview - 2008-10-07 - Put on AP

Passport Requested - 2008-12-14

Passport Received - 2008-12-26

POE - 2008-12-29

I've read my NOA2 notice quite carefully and it doesn't say we have found this petition to be eligible for a Visa...it says that the petition has been approved for one. They really ought to stop printing "the above petition has been approved, and forwarded to the listed consulate" on NOA2 notices if it doesn't meant that. They ought not to tell people who ask that they are not in AP when they are. And have been for days.

And I also find it most peculiar then that I have seen arrival and departure dates at NVC in as little two days for k1's. Can't be very thourough in that length of time.

Wouldn't it be more efficient, and cost effective, if every last man and his dog hadn't got to perform his own security checks?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

If you read the forms carefully, the I129F says, "This form is used to petition to bring your fiancé(e) and that person's children to the United States for marriage to you or to bring your spouse and that person's children (K-3 and K-4 visas, respectively) to the United States to complete processing for permanent resident status (under the LIFE Act and Amendments of 2000)." You are not actually applying for the visa yet. You are just petitioning so your wife or fiance can apply.

Once the I129F is approved, USCIS (which is part of the Department of Homeland Security) transfers the documents to the National Visa Center (which is part of the Department of State). After this you need to apply for the actual visa through the DS156k. That form states, "This form, together with Form DS-156, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, completed in duplicate, constitutes the complete application for a "K" Fiancé(e) Nonimmigrant Visa authorized under Section 222© of the Immigration and Nationality Act."

I agree they should not tell people who are AP in that they are not. If you ever think you are in AP, you should call the Department of State directly. Their number is 202-663-1225. You then press 1 then 0 to speak to an operator. They can definitely say if you are in AP. About security checks, the system is not based on efficiency but redundancy. Efficiency is only a priority for systems that work well. Since the security check system has its limitations, they try to overcome them by just repeating the whole check. Also, from what I recall (although it may be wrong), DOS runs some additional checks USCIS does not run.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan

Marriage : 2007-11-24

I-130 Sent : 2008-01-17

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-12

Expedite Request Approved - 2008-04-17

NOA2: 2008-04-22

National Visa Center

Case Number Assigned: 2008-04-25

DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill Generated: 2008-05-05

AOS Fee Bill Paid: 2008-05-03

DS-3032 Accepted: 2008-05-07

I-864 Hard Copy Mailed: 2008-05-07

IV Fee Bill Paid - 2008-08-04

DS230 Mailed - 2008-08-06

Case Completed - 2008-08-13

Interview - 2008-10-07 - Put on AP

Passport Requested - 2008-12-14

Passport Received - 2008-12-26

POE - 2008-12-29

Timeline

This WAITING really has me worried and anxious.... I know people have said that it's very unlikely for NVC to deny an "approved K1 petition" and send it back to USCIS, but I cant help but think of the worst sometimes.... why is this happening to us :-( ...... I just wish this would end soon.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We were on AP at NVC level last year for about 40 days, if I remember correctly. We were told that occasionally petitions are ' randomly pulled ' and put into more checks. Then once our case was forwarded to the Embassy, we spent another 6 months in AP .

NVC does not have to power to deny cases.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline
We're still waiting as well.

Hi cdneh,

This really sucks.... just when we thought we were so close.... we get stuck for AP!! I try so hard not to think about it or worry too much... the truth is, had I not found this site, I would never think twice that our case was unusual, only because I see other K1 filers fly thru NVC in a couple of days did I think why was ours taking so long.... however, I am greatful for everyone's support here and everything I've learned just from other peoples experiences... I guess the only thing we can do is WAIT.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.