LDora

Weird Things Americans Have Said To/Asked Me

425 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmm okay. American living in Canada stories to begin!

The two places I have worked, any time anyone says anything bad about the US or makes fun of Americans, they immediately go, "Oh, I'm sorry!"

The "z" thing boggles my mind. Hubby and I had a talk about this just a few days ago. You go from English w, x, y and then, BAM! Greek with the Zed. Was talking to a mutual friend of ours about his 350Z. I said to him, "So how's the Z?" He looks at me all funny. "Your 350???" "Ohhh!! The Zed!" :bonk:

Also, what's with there not being Mini Ritz with peanut butter not being available here???

Whenever I talk about Florida with people they always say to me, "OMG, what about the hurricanes???"

Whenever I talk about winter here with my family in Florida, "isn't it snowing?" :lol: Or my aunt who lives just about 1.5 hours south of us is always asking how different the weather is. WHAT? :rofl:

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
I never really remember it ever being called Z'ed' in Canada until the 90's. Maybe I never noticed or maybe people just never said it, but growing up in the 70's and 80's even in Southern Ontario everyone I remember called it Z (zee).

Maybe a lot was because I was brought up on the rhyme from Seaseme Street and this was before Canada hijacked the show and induced 'Canadian Content' changing the letter from Z to a Zed or something.

I just know it just sounds really odd and strange to hear it called Zed, though now when I visit Ontario, it seems everyone now says it that way. It was like everyone in the early 90's jumped on this whole Canada kick and started trying to show they have a unique identity or something and started using the British term for it more. No clue. Still sounds really weird and foreign...

That may just be a Windsor thing. Or it is that you never noticed it. lol. The rest of Ontario says zed.

Yeah I agree, we always said zed too and I never watched sesame street :lol:

The mini ritz with peanut butter was banned due to the fact that it sounds really gross.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This thread is great!! My husband and I always bicker about lieutenant vs. l- EFF- tenant . We finally agreed that if we’re talking about an American soldier we’ll call him/her a l-EWW-tenant, but if it’s a Canadian we use the Canadian/British pronunciation.

Fall 2004: Met playing Warcraft

Aug 21, 2008: I-129 NOA1

Jan 30, 2009: I-129 NOA2

Mar 23, 2009: Package 3 logged at Mtl. consulate

Jul 15, 2009: Interview

Jul 26, 2009: Moving day!!!!!

Aug 24, 2009: Wedding

Timeline
I never really remember it ever being called Z'ed' in Canada until the 90's. Maybe I never noticed or maybe people just never said it, but growing up in the 70's and 80's even in Southern Ontario everyone I remember called it Z (zee).

Maybe a lot was because I was brought up on the rhyme from Seaseme Street and this was before Canada hijacked the show and induced 'Canadian Content' changing the letter from Z to a Zed or something.

I just know it just sounds really odd and strange to hear it called Zed, though now when I visit Ontario, it seems everyone now says it that way. It was like everyone in the early 90's jumped on this whole Canada kick and started trying to show they have a unique identity or something and started using the British term for it more. No clue. Still sounds really weird and foreign...

That may just be a Windsor thing. Or it is that you never noticed it. lol. The rest of Ontario says zed.

The mini ritz with peanut butter was banned due to the fact that it sounds really gross.

Pfft. Celery and cheese wiz is nasty! Celery and peanut butter > all!

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
Also, here is the connection between beanie/toque/watch cap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beanie

Wow, how many names can we have for one item? :lol:

Umm it is a monkey cap. :whistle:

lolfs.gif

Timeline
omg, Bill and I fight about the "zed" "zee" thing everyday, its hilarious! :lol:

You know those little suggary candies you get in a roll? In Canada we call them rockets. Here they call them smarties. But smarties are chocolate! We also argue about that daily.

I've learned a trick down here. Whenever I mispronounce a word, mess up an expression, or just screw something up I can say... "Well thats how we say it in Canada," and nobody questions it. They just say, "oh really? weird" :lol:

Yes, my husband and I argue about this too! We went to a market before we went camping and he had to point out the Rockets to me.

We also had the "Zee" and "Zed" conversation. Depending on how he is using it, he will say both. I find this very amusing.

He found it extremely amusing that you could purchase beer to go from any bar here in the States. To the point that he always took pictures of beer prices to show his friends and went so far as to take a picture of a bartender putting a 6-pack into a paper bag for a patron to take home. The bartender didn't look quite as amused as my husband did. :rofl:

6/27/2009 Married after being together almost 2 years

USCIS Journey

I-130 package sent - 8/5/2009

I-130 package received - 8/9/2009

Check cleared my bank - 8/17/2009

NOA1 - 8/12/2009

NOA2 - 9/11/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 9/18/2009

NVC Journey

NVC Received : 9/28/2009

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 10/2/2009

Pay I-864 Bill : 10/5/2009

Receive I-864 Package : 10/7/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 10/9/2009

Return Completed DS-3032 : 10/6/2009

Receive IV Bill : 10/20/2009

Pay IV Bill : 10/22/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 10/26/2009

Log-In Fail: 11/6/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 11/9/2009

Received Interview date: 1/22/2010

Medical Exam: 2/23/2010 at 1:30 p.m. - yep he went for the latest possible appointment......

Interview date: 3/1/2010 APPROVED!!!!!

POE: 3/8/2010 - Thousand Islands

Timeline

Puke to anything on celery.

Puke to celery.

Mal... based on this, am reconsidering friendship!

;)

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline
Puke to anything on celery.

Puke to celery.

Mal... based on this, am reconsidering friendship!

;)

You wouldn't ditch me even if I was sprayed by a skunk 10 times!

event.png

Last year my fiance asked me what we eat at thanksgiving because I was going to be there for Thanksgiving and his mom wanted to make me a proper thanksgiving meal...

I get asked strange questions daily when I'm down there.

Varba's grandma asked me if I'm going to have a hard time adjusting to the culture down there. I forgive her tho, she's elderly and didn't travel much in her lifetime.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Last year my fiance asked me what we eat at thanksgiving because I was going to be there for Thanksgiving and his mom wanted to make me a proper thanksgiving meal...

I get asked strange questions daily when I'm down there.

Varba's grandma asked me if I'm going to have a hard time adjusting to the culture down there. I forgive her tho, she's elderly and didn't travel much in her lifetime.

At least she asked a valid question - the culture is different down here ! Yay Grandma for being sensitive

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm in a business where we talk about Patone colours alot. For the life of me, I can't seem to say 'mauve' the American way. They say it with an 'aw' sound. In Canada I always said it so that it rhymes with 'stove'. Just curious, anyone know how the Brits say it?

My neighbour is a well-educated woman with a high-paying job. When she found out where I was from (Toronto), she asked if I knew this guy named Fred who lives in Hamilton. I humoured her and asked his surname. She couldn't remember but said, "Oh, he works in I.T." like that bit of information was going to cinch it for me. I used to hear these stories all the time when I lived in Canada but I thought they were like urban legends.

Jo-Anne

Timeline

My future MIL has told me that when she thinks of Canada she doesn't grasp it. She thought my closest neighbour was like 10 miles away, in a land all covered in snow, and that there are polar bears everywhere. On the flip side my mom thinks everything in california is dead and that its like super hot all the time.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

I got another one just today. When I was getting my hair trimmed my hairdresser had a notice up saying she was going to be away from October 22 to November 19th, so I asked her if she was going to be on holidays during that time. She looked at me kind of strange and said, no, she was going on vacation!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
I got another one just today. When I was getting my hair trimmed my hairdresser had a notice up saying she was going to be away from October 22 to November 19th, so I asked her if she was going to be on holidays during that time. She looked at me kind of strange and said, no, she was going on vacation!

OMG, LOL. I ALWAYS say vacation here and get weird looks!

event.png

Timeline
I'm in a business where we talk about Patone colours alot. For the life of me, I can't seem to say 'mauve' the American way. They say it with an 'aw' sound. In Canada I always said it so that it rhymes with 'stove'. Just curious, anyone know how the Brits say it?

My neighbour is a well-educated woman with a high-paying job. When she found out where I was from (Toronto), she asked if I knew this guy named Fred who lives in Hamilton. I humoured her and asked his surname. She couldn't remember but said, "Oh, he works in I.T." like that bit of information was going to cinch it for me. I used to hear these stories all the time when I lived in Canada but I thought they were like urban legends.

Steve's wife again: Mauve rhymes with stove in England. Plus it's not that awful dark pink colour that Americans call mauve, it's a nice lavendar-ish sort of colour in England.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.