LDora

Weird Things Americans Have Said To/Asked Me

425 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

I'm not too surprised that you've been accused of being a nurse. Most of the women I've met from the Philipines are nurses. That's because nurses are so highly in demand worldwide, that nurses from any country have an easier time immigrating to just about any where.

It's very silly to think that just because you've met a lot of nurses from the Philipines that all Filipinos are nurses.

~ Catherine

Edited by BermyCat

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I am laughing at all of these posts...and laughing at myself.

When my bf and I first got together, I kid you not, I asked him what Canadian "monies" are called...DOH!!! :blink: my first trip to Ottawa, I couldn't help but to refer to it as "fake" money...I was not used to it, so to me it was not real...I think that is why I spent more of it then I should have.

My mom and daughter have asked him about Thanksgiving up there..is it the same? Do you eat Turkey? I think its because you all celebrate it earlier then we do...

Tom(my Canadian fiance) loves to joke with people and tell them all about the "snow" ants you all have up there...and killer beavers and such!!

I really felt WICKED(cause I am from Boston and use that word more then I should) stupid!!

He said that a lot of Americans have no idea what goes on outside their border, and he is right!! I will admit I never paid much attention to anything going on in Canada...obviously cause I did NOT even know that your "monies"(he still gives me grief about that) is also called Dollar(man I feel dumb lol)

And he refers to a bathroom as a restroom...which I think is funny, and first time he asked me where he could buy a Toque..I had no freaking clue what the hell he was talking about...

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Ok, here is my favourite (and very annoying) question that Americans have asked me:

"You speak English very well (gee, I feel more intelligent now). Where are you from?" (note: I don't look like the 'stereotypical Canadian', so most people assume I'm from some 'other foreign country')

I say: "I'm from Canada..." (and then I get a... :blink: look...)...

I then go into somewhat of a lecture explaining about Canadian weather (which is similar to what is here in NYS), and other Canadian topics (higher taxes, politics, history, culture, food, sports, and anything else I can think of that is Canadian...).

And get another... :wacko: look...

Luckily we have Timmy's up here in NYS and is only a few hours away from the border, so Canada isn't too 'foreign' to Americans after all...

Oh and then there is the misconception about going through this damn immigration process:

"I thought you were a US Citizen already when you got moved down here and got married" (yeah, if only it were that easy nowadays...)

Lol...I swear, I should just write a book about all of this, as Canada is definitely different from America, indeed!

And after all that's said, I should ask:.."So, how about you and your life in America as an American?"

Ant (Canadian, eh?)

P.S. My husband (the American) says it's a "stocking cap" and I (the Canadian) say it's a "touque"....

Lol...I wonder what our Baby will name these funny hats? (by the way, we bought a couple of those for them recently)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

I love this thread!!!

Okay, so we live in Northern New Hampshire, about an hour or so from the Canadian border (Quebec). Often, when I tell people my hubby is from Canada, they respond, oh well at least it is a little warmer here huh, he is further south. Then they get blank looks on their face when I say, no he is actually from British Columbia .... so I have to go into the whole, "it is the OTHER side of Canada, above Seattle, mild winters there actually" explanation. I've said it so much I have the speech down pat :)

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

I usually have to point out that Toronto is further south than probably 8 or 9 mid-west and western States, plus 3 or so eastern States, and that yes, we have summer, sometimes quite hot, and no, just because I'm Canadian doesn't mean I like the cold :P After a few years, it gets kinda old yanno? :wacko:

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

my american family came to Canada last week. and they didnt know what to do with all the coins. They called them "TOKENS". it was funny to hear the word in a sentence when they had to pay the cabbie and it was their last day in canada and my friend had a handful of toonies and loonies and we probably gave the guy over $10 in tip just cuz they wanted to get rid of it.

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

My husband refers to Canadian money as "Monopoly Money", and everyone I know continually brings me every single bit of Canadian change they find. My mother-in-law actually found a two-dollar bill a while ago. My husband's biggest gripe about Canadian money was actually that we use "too many coins with silly names", and he says they weighed his pockets down the entire time he was there. :lol:

I also remember the first time he came to Edmonton, watching everyone queuing up for the cross-walk and waiting for the WALK sign to change, turning to me in disbelief and saying "I can't believe you guys follow those RULES here!"

"Your mom is in my head right now, and she's saying don't do that."

"For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain."

"too many coins with silly names", and he says they weighed his pockets down the entire time he was there

he should visit Britain sometime :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

All this money talk reminds me I need to get rid of all my change here before we move next month. I lived in Japan for 4 years before moving here to Canada and still have Yen floating around...

Our Journey

6 June 2008- Mailed I130 to Toronto (DCF)

7 Nov 2008- I130 approved in Toronto!!

21 Nov 2008- Received Packet 3 from Montreal

4 Jan 2009- Mailed Packet back

9 Feb 2009- Medical in Toronto

24 Apr 2009- Interview in Montreal...Approved!!!

30 Apr 2009- Received Visa... few hours later crossed to border for the 6 day drive to Utah!!

6 Apr 2009- Arrived at our new HOME!!

13 May 2009- Welcome letter received

19 May 2009- Went to social security office and "applied" for SSN

22 May 2009- SS Card arrived in mail!! (I guess they did send in the paperwork at the interview...)

???????<<<<waiting for GC>>>>>>

You know what I don't get?

Why Americans think milk in bags is so weird.

Alot of the Americans that approach me online are like "DO YOU HAVE MILK IN BAGS??!"

My friend from Idaho also thinks I say "Aboot".

And I totally don't.

Good thing I can always pick on her about living in Potatoland.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Timeline
i find it interesting that American money is starting to look colourful too

That's too funny. I paid for something with a $5 dollar bill yesterday and hesitated to hand it over because it was pink..... I thought it may not have been real. Now I know how the Americans feel when they're handling Canadian money. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
You know what I don't get?

Why Americans think milk in bags is so weird.

Alot of the Americans that approach me online are like "DO YOU HAVE MILK IN BAGS??!"

My friend from Idaho also thinks I say "Aboot".

And I totally don't.

Good thing I can always pick on her about living in Potatoland.

:lol: i totally know what you mean. When we went shopping I had to stop in the milk isle with my fiance just so he could get a picture of milk bags to show everyone at home. I dont understand why its such an odd concept to them.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

The phrases my fiance' always gets on me for, is my "uh huh", my "yep", and my "huh".

"Uh huh" is a perfectly normal American response for "you're welcome", "yes", "sure", etc.

"Yep" is a perfectly normal American response for "you're welcome", "yes", "sure", etc.

"Huh" is a perfectly normal American response for "pardon me", "what was that", "I don't understand", etc.

For him...

house = Canadian -> HOH-se and American -> HOW-se

south = Canadian -> SO-th and American -> SOW-th

The things we say and how we mean them... Oh, one more. Canadian = pea meal bacon --- American = Canadian bacon :)

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.