n00b

Tourist Visa Question?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

So my wife lives in the philippines and I live in the usa. We thought about doing the papers for a k3 , but have yet to decide where we want to live.

Is it possible that she could just get a tourist visa and come to the usa for a while and then return to the philippines? She has a good job there , but would like to visit me here.

Some of her friends have got tourist visas from there to come to the usa, so i know its possible.

But, will being married to me, an american have any effect on that?

09-09-2008 Met my Fiance'

01-23-2009 Married My Fiance' in the Philippines

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
So my wife lives in the philippines and I live in the usa. We thought about doing the papers for a k3 , but have yet to decide where we want to live.

Is it possible that she could just get a tourist visa and come to the usa for a while and then return to the philippines? She has a good job there , but would like to visit me here.

Some of her friends have got tourist visas from there to come to the usa, so i know its possible.

Get tourist visa.

Your status will not affect it.

*IR-1 Visa* VSC

I-130 (IR-1):

07/22/2008: NOA1

02/17/2009: I-130 NOA2: Approved in 210 days from NOA1 date

I-129F (K-3):

08/11/2008: NOA1

02/17/2009: I-129F NOA2: Approved in 190 days from NOA1 date

<not pursuing I-129F petition further but NVC forwarded case to Consulate on 02/24/2009>

NVC Journey:

02/19/2009: NVC Received/Case number assigned for I-130

02/20/2009: DS-3032 sent by e-mail and 03/04/2009: DS-3032 sent by regular mail

02/26/2009: NVC received DS-3032 Choice of Agent selection

02/26/2009: DS-3032 accepted and AOS Bill Generated but not IV Bill

02/28/2009: AOS Bill Package received in mail

02/28/2009: Paid AOS Bill and IV Bill (as it was available) online

03/03/2009: Both AOS and IV Bill Show as Paid and Coversheet Printed

03/04/2009: Mailed I-864 and IV (DS-230) Packages

03/06/2009: I-864 and IV Packages Received by NVC and Scanned on 03/10/2009

03/13/2009: Case completed at NVC (in 17 working days from date NVC Received)

03/25/2009: Interview date assigned by NVC

US Consulate @ Mumbai, India

04/02/2009: Medical Exam (based on NVC e-mail for interview)

04/13/2009: Interview Packet Received from US Consulate

04/16/2009: Documents submitted at VFS office

[Classified]: Date of Interview

USA Journey

02/21/2009: Permanent Resident # Received (Ref: NOA2 of USCIS)

05/2009: POE

##/##/2009: Permanent Resident Card

##/##/2009: SSN

Love must be sincere............Roman 12:9

Get tourist visa.

Your status will not affect it.

Well, that will not be entire correct. USEM thinks that a person, spouse of USC, applying for a tourist visa has the intention to immigrate to the US. It is very difficul to get approved for a tourist visa because it is very difficul to proof ties in a foreign country when your USC spouse lives and works in the US. I will recommend to try getting the IR-1 or K-3 visa instead of the tourist visa.

I-130 Journey

01-13-09 - I-130 NOA1 (case transferred to California Service Center)

02-25-09 - I-130 NOA2 (Approved)

02-28-09 - I-130 Received NOA2 Hardcopy

I-129F Journey

01-19-09 - I-129F sent USPS Express Overnight Mail to California Service Center

01-23-09 - I-129F NOA1

02-25-09 - I-129F NOA2(Approved)

02-28-09 - I-129F Received NOA2 Hardcopy

03-03-09 - I-129F Case number assigned @ NVC

03-11-09 - I-129F Consulate Received signed by FELIX

04-14-09 - I-129F Interview date assigned (05-19-09)

NVC Journey

03-04-09 - NVC Received/Case number assigned

03-10-09 - DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated

03-10-09 - E-mail DS-3032

03-10-09 - Pay AOS Bill (Online)

03-11-09 - AOS Bill Show as PAID

03-12-09 - Mailed I-864 Package

03-16-09 - Reviewing I-864

03-17-09 - Mail DS-3032

03-19-09 - NVC accepted DS-3032

03-19-09 - NVC Reviewed and Accepted I-864

03-26-09 - IV Bill Generated

03-27-09 - Pay IV Bill

03-30-09 - IV Bill Show as PAID

03-30-09 - Mailed IV Package

04-10-09 - RFE for my wife's Birth Certificate (It must be In-extenso)

04-14-09 - Sent a New IN_EXTENSO Birth Certificate

04-27-09 - Case Completed at NVC

04-27-09 - Trying to switch k3 interview for CR-1/IR-1

04-28-09 - Sent E-mail directly to the Chief of Visa Operations in DR requesting the switch

05-06-09 - NVC received a request from Embassy requesting the file

05-07-09 - Medical Exam

05-08-09 - Left NVC

05-12-09 - Received Consulate

05-19-09 - Interview Date: APPROVED!!!!

05-27-09 - POE (JFK, New York)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, being married to you will affect her chances of getting a tourist visa. I've heard of lots of denials for tourist visas recently. Perhaps calling the embassy in Manilla will help figure out your chances.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Hello everyone, and Hi n00b. I am in the same boat as you. My wife lives in the Philippines also, and we were a little hesitant in starting the whole K3 process until I finished in Iraq. We tried for a B2 tourist visa and it was denied. I will tell you what was told to me since. Dont even waste your time with a tourist visa for your wife. When ours was denied, i called everyone from the consolate in Manila, to the state dept. visa dept, to my congressman. Everyone said that B2 visas are not issued to spouses because there is too much temptation to overstay the visa. I know, It's not fair, and we should all be held to our rational and best intentions, but it just wont happen. I even talked to the customs border officers at the airport when I returned from my last trip. They stated that B2 tourist visas are NOT issued to spouses, and if they find one that slipped through the cracks of the system, they are required to deny entry and deport.

I know it's not fair, but save yourself the time, four months for us, and just start the K3 process. Sorry to burst the bubble, but this is what I have found out.

Take care, and let us know what happens.

If at first you don't succeed, try using a much larger hammer.

Timeline
Hello everyone, and Hi n00b. I am in the same boat as you. My wife lives in the Philippines also, and we were a little hesitant in starting the whole K3 process until I finished in Iraq. We tried for a B2 tourist visa and it was denied. I will tell you what was told to me since. Dont even waste your time with a tourist visa for your wife. When ours was denied, i called everyone from the consolate in Manila, to the state dept. visa dept, to my congressman. Everyone said that B2 visas are not issued to spouses because there is too much temptation to overstay the visa. I know, It's not fair, and we should all be held to our rational and best intentions, but it just wont happen. I even talked to the customs border officers at the airport when I returned from my last trip. They stated that B2 tourist visas are NOT issued to spouses, and if they find one that slipped through the cracks of the system, they are required to deny entry and deport.

I know it's not fair, but save yourself the time, four months for us, and just start the K3 process. Sorry to burst the bubble, but this is what I have found out.

Wow thats crazy!! and very unfair , wonder if a lawyer could help>?

Wow thats crazy!! and very unfair , wonder if a lawyer could help>?

I doubt a lawyer could help much.

Unfair? Nope - blame all the people using them for getting around the law. They are the reason they are so strict on them.

Now the big thing is coming over on the VWP. Again, only to be used for vacation/business, but some people have it in their mind they can use it for immigration/marriage.

Some make it through "the cracks", but some get caught. (rightfully so)

Soon they will crack down on that, and we will have some more "unfair" rules...

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife already has a vakud 5-year tourist visa, but we decided not to even try to have her visit after we were married . Better to just begin the immigration process.

RickD

RickD

http://www.freebizfromhome.com

If you really want things to change, you actually have to DO something!

Timeline

The issue for me is, I have no job, and of course, the economy is terrible in the usa. My wife in the philippines has a good job, owns her own house and land. She has no desire to stay here (neither do I but nothing i can do about it for now)

One of her co workers recently got a tourist visa approved (first try) but she isn't married to an american.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
The issue for me is, I have no job, and of course, the economy is terrible in the usa. My wife in the philippines has a good job, owns her own house and land. She has no desire to stay here (neither do I but nothing i can do about it for now)

One of her co workers recently got a tourist visa approved (first try) but she isn't married to an american.

A lot of whom i know have that kind of situation. Married a USC, would want to go and visit the USA, and not want to stay there for good..tried applying for tourist visa..and got denied..all of them. My aunt was one of them. She was ask during the interview why file for tourist when she's already married? It will raise a lot of questions for the US embassy for cases like this. Sure its hard and would really require money to file for visa. Im telling u now, dont file for tourist. File for cr1 or k3 instead. At least for that it will allow her to be coming back and forth whenever she wants too. Filing for tourist visa for married couple is a waste of time and money.

March '05 - met George online thru common friend

March '06 - He went to visit me in the PI first time

May '06 - He came back for the family reunion and proposed for marriage

Nov. '06 - came back to prepare for our wedding

Dec 16, '06 - Wedding Day!

took at least 6 or 7 months (as i remember) for the K3 and was approved!

Nov '07 - I arrived in the US

together again with my gwapo, lol

April 9 - mailed in AOS package

April 13 - NOA for EAD and AOS

April 22 - Biometrics Appointment and will be on May 7 in Jamaica

May 7 - Biometrics done!

May 14 - Got an RFE dated may 9 - joint sponsor :-(

June 5 - they received our reply to the RFE

June 10 - EAD card production ordered, YAYYYYY Thank u, God!

June 21 - EAD card received in mail.

...and the waiting continues for the interview date...... will update later

so i got my interview date, and guess when??

Sept 10 - yaayyyy and its my hubby's Birthday! Approval would be a GREAT bday gift.

Sept 10 - got APPROVED! Indeed its a GREAT Birthday gift! " Card production Ordered" Yayyy

Sept 18 - Welcome Letter received!

Sept 19 - Green Card in hand!

Hi Everyone, The funny thing is that we did go through a lawyer. He stated up front that it was a long shot, and obviously, he did not know about the required deportation, so Im glad now that my wife did not get the visa. I could not have lived through her being deportedat her point of entry.

One thing to remember, is that money issues do not even come into play until after your I-129F is approved. That would give you about 6 months to see if you get a job or sponsor for the affidavit of support.

Good luck, God bless, and If you need any advise or anything, just let me know. :D

If at first you don't succeed, try using a much larger hammer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

There is good for getting tourist/visitor visa since your spouse has job, house and land.

Take a chance and ask your spouse to attach a letter describing above and no intentions for staying in US.

*IR-1 Visa* VSC

I-130 (IR-1):

07/22/2008: NOA1

02/17/2009: I-130 NOA2: Approved in 210 days from NOA1 date

I-129F (K-3):

08/11/2008: NOA1

02/17/2009: I-129F NOA2: Approved in 190 days from NOA1 date

<not pursuing I-129F petition further but NVC forwarded case to Consulate on 02/24/2009>

NVC Journey:

02/19/2009: NVC Received/Case number assigned for I-130

02/20/2009: DS-3032 sent by e-mail and 03/04/2009: DS-3032 sent by regular mail

02/26/2009: NVC received DS-3032 Choice of Agent selection

02/26/2009: DS-3032 accepted and AOS Bill Generated but not IV Bill

02/28/2009: AOS Bill Package received in mail

02/28/2009: Paid AOS Bill and IV Bill (as it was available) online

03/03/2009: Both AOS and IV Bill Show as Paid and Coversheet Printed

03/04/2009: Mailed I-864 and IV (DS-230) Packages

03/06/2009: I-864 and IV Packages Received by NVC and Scanned on 03/10/2009

03/13/2009: Case completed at NVC (in 17 working days from date NVC Received)

03/25/2009: Interview date assigned by NVC

US Consulate @ Mumbai, India

04/02/2009: Medical Exam (based on NVC e-mail for interview)

04/13/2009: Interview Packet Received from US Consulate

04/16/2009: Documents submitted at VFS office

[Classified]: Date of Interview

USA Journey

02/21/2009: Permanent Resident # Received (Ref: NOA2 of USCIS)

05/2009: POE

##/##/2009: Permanent Resident Card

##/##/2009: SSN

Love must be sincere............Roman 12:9

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

There is good for getting tourist/visitor visa since your spouse has job, house and land.

Take a chance and ask your spouse to attach a letter describing above and no intentions for staying in US.

You will never get a tourist visa; especially if you are already married. Even if you did she would be turned away at the POE.

The advise above about attaching a letter ect is just plain ignorant as to the procedure. The PI is known to be a high fraud country where even if the exact procedures are followed exactly you wont get a tourist visa.

Is it fair? No. However those that proceeded you taught them a history lesson that you have to pay for.

The best way to prove the point is to pay the fees & submit the forms. You could pave the way for many that dont think it can be done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.