bebop + rocksteady

How important is it to provide proof of wedding plans?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance and I are discussing getting married at the court house once he gets his K1 into the country. We'd like to immediately be able to put him on my health insurance, as well as have the ability to plan our wedding TOGETHER (planning with a 1000 miles between us takes all of the fun out of it). So our plan is to, as soon as he gets his K1, him to enter the country and within the first few weeks legally marry. Then, we plan on using as much time as it takes to plan a wedding ceremony.

I've read in some places that in interviews they like to see proof of wedding plans. Well, if we follow this plan, we won't have any. If we have other secondary proof (engagment ring receipt, photos, travel stubs, etc.) will that be enough? Or are they pretty adamant about seeing proof of a planned wedding?

Thank you!

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

My fiance and I are discussing getting married at the court house once he gets his K1 into the country. We'd like to immediately be able to put him on my health insurance, as well as have the ability to plan our wedding TOGETHER (planning with a 1000 miles between us takes all of the fun out of it). So our plan is to, as soon as he gets his K1, him to enter the country and within the first few weeks legally marry. Then, we plan on using as much time as it takes to plan a wedding ceremony.

I've read in some places that in interviews they like to see proof of wedding plans. Well, if we follow this plan, we won't have any. If we have other secondary proof (engagment ring receipt, photos, travel stubs, etc.) will that be enough? Or are they pretty adamant about seeing proof of a planned wedding?

Thank you!

I can only tell you about my personal experience: When they asked me at the interview whether we already made plans for the wedding I gave them a potential date for the civil ceremony at the courthouse and stressed out that they ( uscis) themselves discouraged people from making plans until they had the visa in hand. I also added we would have a bigger (religious) wedding ceremony a couple months after that, when we would have time to organize it and my fiance and I would be together to do so!

I did bring the "secondary" proof, but they did not ask for it..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't speak from personal experience (oh how I'd love to say I was at that stage!) but I suspect that it will be fine as long as you explain yourself if asked.

I think probably the vast majority of people don't plan a real wedding while waiting on the K-1; I mean, you have no idea how long it's going to take. My fiancee and I did plan a wedding but now it is all threatening to blow up in our face because of the IMBRA mess.

I'm pretty sure the people doing the interviews know this full well and are aware that most people can't present such proof. Evidence of a planned wedding is just one thing among many sorts of evidence you can show them. There are plenty of other ways to show that the engagement is legitimate.

-lem

Thank you!

I don't know if its a typical question asked at the Canadian US Consulate and that what prompted your question? - but the K1 is an INTENT to marry visa - it doesn't say anywhere that you must have plans already set down for a wedding, as you have no idea WHEN the visa will be issued and as you say they make a note in packet 3 that flights etc should not be booked in advance due to no guarantees on time frames.

In my own case; I put on the form (whichever one asked for 'if I had a date') that it would be June - crossed out cos I made a mistake - then July to which i added 'or september, depending on when visa is issued'.

It wasn't as messy as it sounds btw :lol:

As it turned out - they asked me virtually nothing, took NONE of my paperwork (except the DS forms), and just said ok you're done..

I honestly don't think 'wedding plans already set in stone right down to what color the napkins will be' are a huge deal at this stage - and you could put down any date you wanted - they aren't gonna HOLD you to it - as long as its inside the 90 days from K1 activation on entry to US its all good.

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

I too am not currently at that stage yet but i think ive read somewhere that when they get their packet 3 it will require you to fill out an affidavit of support. you will need to send those over to him and perhaps when you send it to him, make sure you include another letter of intent, signed and dated of course just to reiterrate your plans of getting married within the 90 days of him getting to the US. that may help establish that there is still an intent to marry.

Just make sure that he has enough secondary proof of the ongoing relationship between you two.

i hope that helps ... :)

04-24-09 I-130 Application received by USCIS

04-29-09 Received NOA1

08-17-09 Approved

08-20-09 NOA2 Received

08-26-09 NVC Received

08-27-09 Case Number Assigned

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We have the same wedding plans...courthouse. I would doubt many of us have concrete plans in place because it is all so up in the air.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

They do not need to see, nor do they require you to submit wedding plans. Actually, its quite the opposite. They tell you not to make any wedding plans until you have the visa, as they are not going to change their schedule to meet yours, and you may be out a few bucks.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

They didn't ask us any questions at all about wedding plans.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Vancouver didn't ask anything about wedding plans ... On the checklist is asks when you plan on getting married but all I wrote in there was within 2 weeks of arriving to the US on the K-1 Visa ...

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
They do not need to see, nor do they require you to submit wedding plans. Actually, its quite the opposite. They tell you not to make any wedding plans until you have the visa, as they are not going to change their schedule to meet yours, and you may be out a few bucks.

:thumbs:

The letter of intent to marry is sufficient proof.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Montreal did not ask about wedding plans :no:

You should probably check out the Canada section of the VJ regional area if you haven't already done so, there is lots of excellent interview info there.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.