cbarbosa1986

Hey guys I am new here and I have a few questions.

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, I have yet another question. Apparently its better to file for her child at the same time as I file for her. how would I go about that ? I see there is a form DS-156 I need to turn in. Do I send that with the Initial package? Is there any instructions on getting the K2 also ? I was doing a little bit of research and apparently If I file for both of them he does not have to enter the country at the same time as her, am I correct? I believe it says he has up to one year from approval to enter the US.

Thanks again people.

Do you guys think 2 and a half weeks is enough time to get this done ? I leave for BMT on April 7th.

Last question (for now) I have not bought an Engagement ring, My finances are low and I do not think I will be able to get one until after I get out of Basic Training. Will that be a problem ?

1. You do not need to file the DS-156 with your initial petition, you do that at the interview stage. And I think you said the kid was 4 years old? In that case, you do not have to file a DS-156 for him at all (I think you only have to file them for people 16 and up). You just need to add him on the I-129F and he will be included...nothing more! Just follow the instructions on the I-129F

2. 2.5 weeks should be enough time to get everything together if you are a well organized person to begin with! Only you can really answer that question. But people have gotten successful packets together in less time than that!

3. It's not a problem AT ALL if you don't have an engagement ring! Don't worry!

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, I have yet another question. Apparently its better to file for her child at the same time as I file for her. how would I go about that ? I see there is a form DS-156 I need to turn in. Do I send that with the Initial package? Is there any instructions on getting the K2 also ? I was doing a little bit of research and apparently If I file for both of them he does not have to enter the country at the same time as her, am I correct? I believe it says he has up to one year from approval to enter the US.

Thanks again people.

Do you guys think 2 and a half weeks is enough time to get this done ? I leave for BMT on April 7th.

Last question (for now) I have not bought an Engagement ring, My finances are low and I do not think I will be able to get one until after I get out of Basic Training. Will that be a problem ?

1. You do not need to file the DS-156 with your initial petition, you do that at the interview stage. And I think you said the kid was 4 years old? In that case, you do not have to file a DS-156 for him at all (I think you only have to file them for people 16 and up). You just need to add him on the I-129F and he will be included...nothing more! Just follow the instructions on the I-129F

2. 2.5 weeks should be enough time to get everything together if you are a well organized person to begin with! Only you can really answer that question. But people have gotten successful packets together in less time than that!

3. It's not a problem AT ALL if you don't have an engagement ring! Don't worry!

I'm still waiting on NOA2, so I am not sure if my package will be successful or not, but I got the majority of the package together in about 2 days. I just followed the guides on here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't have any info about the K2, but as for the engagement ring don't worry. As long as you have proof of meeting in person (pictures, receipts, etc) you will be fine. I proposed to my fiancee (now wife) the day after she arrived in the USA. Good luck!

P.s. I'm in the Army... don't you get weekends off at Air Force basic? :rofl:

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

2) I am joining the Air Force and will actually be leaving on April 7th for boot camp. I will be there for 8 1/2 weeks (2months) And I will not be able to make/receive phone calls or speak to anyone through any sort of communication for those 2 months. If i begin the process before I leave will I be required to go anywhere or make any phone calls or supply documents within the first 2 months ? I guess I am asking if I should wait to start the process until after I leave bootcamp.

I'm wondering what would happen if an RFE was sent. Is your mail going to be forwarded? I know very little about the U.S. military and responding to RFE's, since I never got one... but it's a consideration that maybe another VJ member could address.

I never had an RFE either, but I do know that when they send them they usually give you some sort of time limit to send it back. Some people have 2 week time limits and other have a month. I'm not sure what happens if you miss that time limit though. As others have stated, you SHOULD be fine and most likely will not receive any correspondance during this time *that you need to respond too! You could receive hard copies of NOA2s, but you don't have to respond*. However, if you get an RFE and don't resond...I'm not sure how this works. Do you really have no contact whatsoever? Surely there must be a way for your family to get in touch with you if needed. How does your fiancee feel about not having any sort of contact with you for 2 months?! (just curious on that one! :))

I would imagine that your family will have some way of contacting you. If this is the case, then perhaps put your parents address in the US as your mailing address and tell your parents to look out for any mail from the USCIS. That way if you do get an RFE, your parents can be on the lookout for it and get you informed on it. And then at very least, you could call USCIS and tell them why you cannot respond for 2 months. I wouldn't recommend doing this before you get an RFE, but only after.

Those are just my thoughts anyway!

As far As I have been told, In Air Force BMT ( boot camp ) you get one phone call either the day you get there or the day after. This call is a 2 minute convo letting the person on the other line know your Temporary ( BMT) address. They can send letters to keep your spirits high, they will not have a number to call me at. And as far as emergencies they would have to register the emergency with the Red Cross and the red cross would then certify it and get a hold of the base I'm at and let me know through them. From what I have heard you are only allowed to write back to those who write to you if your flight ( group with you at BMT) is doing good.

As far as my fiancee obviously she is sad that she won't be able to hear from me for 2 months but she knows in the long run its whats best for our FUTURE Family.

And to everyone else thanks for all the help !!!

Thanks again people.

Yes, you should file for the child at the same time.

Follow the guides above!

2 weeks? that is cutting it close, I would still recommend to wait till your out of boot camp and at your next command.

They do not care about rings, just the intent to get married. You can just agree with each other to get married, boom, your engaged. Ring means nothing, intent is everything.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

A touch indicates that the petition has been handled. Usually touches appear shortly after the petition has arrived at the service center, and in our case, on the day we received the second notice of action (NOA2) indicating the petition had been approved.

Once you have received NOA1, you can use your case number to register on USCIS's website. Touches are found under the update column on your profile. We had a total of four touches. Some folks go through the entire process without receiving a single touch; other folks are never able to access their case online.

I would highly recommend that you see your fiancée again, at least one more time, between now and her interview (which could be anywhere from 5 to 8 months from now). Having only met in person once ever may cause a bit of suspicion on the interviewing officer's part.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Use the K-1 guide to help you collect and fill out all documents needed. Use the example forms to help you fill out all the forms.

Read the K-1/K-2 visa process on this FAQ page

the visa application stage is very much dependant on the Embassy you are dealing with so it's very important to find out exactly what is required.

Here is some information on the Columbian Embassy

You will also find a link for reviews of the Embassy at the top of that page. You are very lucky to have found VJ before you start the process. Most of your answers are in the tabs above. Do as much reading as you can. It will look complicated and overwhelming at first but knowledge is your best defense.

congratulations...welcome to vj and good luck

timeline.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
First off let me start by saying hello and giving you a little information about myself.

I am a 22 years old male US Citizen by birth and recently decided I would join the US Air Force. A friend of mine introduced me to his fiancee's best friend through Facebook and the phone. I spoke with Michelle throughout the next several months and began a relationship with her. I went to Colombia to meet her personally on March 1st 2009, and as expected everything went perfect. We are totally in love and I proposed to her.

So here are a few questions for you guys and gals.

1) We began talkin approximately 8 months ago. Speaking to a friend of mine he said that we have to have a minimum of 1 year of correspondence before begining the process. Others have told me it doesn't matter.Is this true or not? One of the requirements is you must have met IN PERSON within the past two years (within the past two years of filing the petition). There is no 'correspondence' rule.

as far as having proof I have emails dating back to September 14 2008 and facebook messages. But for the most part we spoke through Messenger in the begining. I also have over 800 pictures and 3 hours of video of us together from my trip last week. You should also have hard evidence such as boarding passes, car rental, hotels receipts, passport entry stamps etc. Emails and photos are considered secondary evidence and there is no way to submit video.)

2) I am joining the Air Force and will actually be leaving on April 7th for boot camp. I will be there for 8 1/2 weeks (2months) And I will not be able to make/receive phone calls or speak to anyone through any sort of communication for those 2 months. If i begin the process before I leave will I be required to go anywhere or make any phone calls or supply documents within the first 2 months ? I guess I am asking if I should wait to start the process until after I leave bootcamp. If you prepare your petition using the Guides - there should be nothing to do while you're in boot camp.

3) would it be smart to get an attorney for this, Or should I be able to do this myself? Most folks do just fine without an attorney - especially if there are no real complications such as children, previous visa overstays and the like - and for folks from most countries (some countries it might be prudent to have an immigration attorney).

Thanks for the info.

regards,

Christian

:thumbs:

it's all good, and correct. way 2 go.

SLIPPERY WHEN WET

Filed: Timeline

You guys are all awesome and very helpful. I thought I would be told to "GO SEARCH" like in so many other forums. Thanks for the help.

Here is what I plan on sending in as my response to question 18. I put all that extra stuff about the air force so that they would see why it is hard for me to see her again before the interview stage and hopefully be a little more lenient about only meeting eachother once.

Please let me know if there is anything i should remove, rephrase or add to that. Thanks again !!!!

RESPONSE TO QUESTION # 18 ON I-129F

A MUTUAL FRIEND ( JULIAN HERNANDEZ) INTRODUCED ME TO MY NOW FIANCEE (MICHELLE DAVILA). WE SPOKE FOR SEVERAL MONTHS THROUGH E-MAILS, INSTANT MESSAGES, PHONE CALLS AND LETTERS. I TRAVELED TO MEDELLIN COLOMBIA ON MARCH 1ST 2009. I PLANNED ON ONLY STAYING FOR 8 DAYS RETURNING ON THE 9TH. I ENJOYED MY TIME WITH HER AND EXTENDED MY STAY UNTIL THE 16TH OF MARCH. I WAS IN MEDELLIN FROM MARCH 1ST TO THE 16TH AND SPENT THE WHOLE TIME THERE WITH HER AND HER FAMILY. WE SPENT 8 DAYS IN AN APARTMENT WE RENTED IN LAS PALMAS, AND THE REST OF MY STAY THERE WAS SPENT EITHER AT HER PARENTS OR GRANDMOTHERS HOUSE IN ANZA. WE ALSO SPENT A DAY IN A CABIN THAT WE RENTED WHEN WE WENT TO VISIT "LA PIEDRA DEL PENOL" IN GUATAPE. WE DID LOTS OF ACTIVITIES SUCH AS GOING TO THE MOVIES, GOING TO THE PARK WITH HER SON, GOING TO THE AQUARIUM, MAKING BAR-BE-QUES, GOING TO CLUBS AND VISITING MUSEUMS AND OTHER TOURIST ATTRACTIONS IN COLOMBIA.

I WOULD LOVE TO RETURN TO COLOMBIA WITHIN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS AND SPEND MORE TIME WITH HER HOWEVER THAT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE AS I AM LEAVING FOR BASIC MILITARY TRAINING FOR THE UNITED STATES AIR FORCE ON APRIL 7TH 2009. I WILL BE IN BASIC TRAINING FOR 2 MONTHS AND AFTER THAT I WILL BE IN TECHNICAL SCHOOL (FOR THE AIR FORCE) FOR ANOTHER 6 MONTHS. ONCE I FINISH WITH TECHNICAL SCHOOL I WILL BE IN THE OPERATIONAL AIR FORCE IN ACTIVE DUTY STATUS. ONCE IN THE OPERATIONAL AIR FORCE I WOULD BE ABLE TO TRAVEL AGAIN TO SEE MY FIANCEE, HOWEVER I HOPE THAT BY THAT TIME HER VISA WOULD BE APPROVED AND SHE WILL BE ABLE TO COME TO THE UNITED STATES.

I don't have any info about the K2, but as for the engagement ring don't worry. As long as you have proof of meeting in person (pictures, receipts, etc) you will be fine. I proposed to my fiancee (now wife) the day after she arrived in the USA. Good luck!

P.s. I'm in the Army... don't you get weekends off at Air Force basic? :rofl:

HEY !!!! :( Are you making fun of the Air Force? :angry: NO WE DO NOT GET WEEKENDS OFF !!!! haha this must be the Cross-Branch Rivalry that I hear so much about.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline
2) I am joining the Air Force and will actually be leaving on April 7th for boot camp. I will be there for 8 1/2 weeks (2months) And I will not be able to make/receive phone calls or speak to anyone through any sort of communication for those 2 months. If i begin the process before I leave will I be required to go anywhere or make any phone calls or supply documents within the first 2 months ? I guess I am asking if I should wait to start the process until after I leave bootcamp.

I'm wondering what would happen if an RFE was sent. Is your mail going to be forwarded? I know very little about the U.S. military and responding to RFE's, since I never got one... but it's a consideration that maybe another VJ member could address.

I never had an RFE either, but I do know that when they send them they usually give you some sort of time limit to send it back. Some people have 2 week time limits and other have a month. I'm not sure what happens if you miss that time limit though. As others have stated, you SHOULD be fine and most likely will not receive any correspondance during this time *that you need to respond too! You could receive hard copies of NOA2s, but you don't have to respond*. However, if you get an RFE and don't resond...I'm not sure how this works. Do you really have no contact whatsoever? Surely there must be a way for your family to get in touch with you if needed. How does your fiancee feel about not having any sort of contact with you for 2 months?! (just curious on that one! :))

I would imagine that your family will have some way of contacting you. If this is the case, then perhaps put your parents address in the US as your mailing address and tell your parents to look out for any mail from the USCIS. That way if you do get an RFE, your parents can be on the lookout for it and get you informed on it. And then at very least, you could call USCIS and tell them why you cannot respond for 2 months. I wouldn't recommend doing this before you get an RFE, but only after.

Those are just my thoughts anyway!

As far As I have been told, In Air Force BMT ( boot camp ) you get one phone call either the day you get there or the day after. This call is a 2 minute convo letting the person on the other line know your Temporary ( BMT) address. They can send letters to keep your spirits high, they will not have a number to call me at. And as far as emergencies they would have to register the emergency with the Red Cross and the red cross would then certify it and get a hold of the base I'm at and let me know through them. From what I have heard you are only allowed to write back to those who write to you if your flight ( group with you at BMT) is doing good.

As far as my fiancee obviously she is sad that she won't be able to hear from me for 2 months but she knows in the long run its whats best for our FUTURE Family.

And to everyone else thanks for all the help !!!

Thanks again people.

I thought for a K2, the child had 6 months to enter the country but I haven't researched it well enough (since my husband doesn't have any kids)

As long as you have your files in order, you can complete the paperwork for a K1 visa in a 2-3 days. With the help of people at VJ you can have your questions answered pretty fast.

As for the engagement ring, it won't be a problem but buy her something pretty when you can!! Good luck!

Sheep: Baa-ram-ewe, baa-ram-ewe. To your breed, your fleece, your clan be true. Sheep be true. Baa-ram-ewe.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
You guys are all awesome and very helpful. I thought I would be told to "GO SEARCH" like in so many other forums. Thanks for the help.

Here is what I plan on sending in as my response to question 18. I put all that extra stuff about the air force so that they would see why it is hard for me to see her again before the interview stage and hopefully be a little more lenient about only meeting eachother once.

Please let me know if there is anything i should remove, rephrase or add to that. Thanks again !!!!

RESPONSE TO QUESTION # 18 ON I-129F

A MUTUAL FRIEND ( JULIAN HERNANDEZ) INTRODUCED ME TO MY NOW FIANCEE (MICHELLE DAVILA). WE SPOKE FOR SEVERAL MONTHS THROUGH E-MAILS, INSTANT MESSAGES, PHONE CALLS AND LETTERS. I TRAVELED TO MEDELLIN COLOMBIA ON MARCH 1ST 2009. I PLANNED ON ONLY STAYING FOR 8 DAYS RETURNING ON THE 9TH. I ENJOYED MY TIME WITH HER AND EXTENDED MY STAY UNTIL THE 16TH OF MARCH. I WAS IN MEDELLIN FROM MARCH 1ST TO THE 16TH AND SPENT THE WHOLE TIME THERE WITH HER AND HER FAMILY. WE SPENT 8 DAYS IN AN APARTMENT WE RENTED IN LAS PALMAS, AND THE REST OF MY STAY THERE WAS SPENT EITHER AT HER PARENTS OR GRANDMOTHERS HOUSE IN ANZA. WE ALSO SPENT A DAY IN A CABIN THAT WE RENTED WHEN WE WENT TO VISIT "LA PIEDRA DEL PENOL" IN GUATAPE. WE DID LOTS OF ACTIVITIES SUCH AS GOING TO THE MOVIES, GOING TO THE PARK WITH HER SON, GOING TO THE AQUARIUM, MAKING BAR-BE-QUES, GOING TO CLUBS AND VISITING MUSEUMS AND OTHER TOURIST ATTRACTIONS IN COLOMBIA.

I WOULD LOVE TO RETURN TO COLOMBIA WITHIN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS AND SPEND MORE TIME WITH HER HOWEVER THAT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE AS I AM LEAVING FOR BASIC MILITARY TRAINING FOR THE UNITED STATES AIR FORCE ON APRIL 7TH 2009. I WILL BE IN BASIC TRAINING FOR 2 MONTHS AND AFTER THAT I WILL BE IN TECHNICAL SCHOOL (FOR THE AIR FORCE) FOR ANOTHER 6 MONTHS. ONCE I FINISH WITH TECHNICAL SCHOOL I WILL BE IN THE OPERATIONAL AIR FORCE IN ACTIVE DUTY STATUS. ONCE IN THE OPERATIONAL AIR FORCE I WOULD BE ABLE TO TRAVEL AGAIN TO SEE MY FIANCEE, HOWEVER I HOPE THAT BY THAT TIME HER VISA WOULD BE APPROVED AND SHE WILL BE ABLE TO COME TO THE UNITED STATES.

Your write up is fine. Personally I would make it more concise, but other than that no issues.

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think that your write-up is fine as well and that you shouldn't have any problems how it is. But just for the record, you do not need to have any sort of reason for only seeing your fiancee once at this stage! The first part of this process is just to weed out those that don't meet the conditions and to make sure that both parties are free to marry. It is at the interview stage that you *might* have issues with only meeting one time. At USCIS, at least for this part of the process, they wont care that you have only met once. They only need that you have met her once within the last 2 years.

Again, I don't see a problem with how you have it written now, but there is no reason to explain why you cannot see her again.

Also, just IMO, I think that when you type it out for your official I-129F you SHOULD NOT KEEP IT IN ALL CAPS! It makes it really difficult for me to read...and commas are our friends :whistle:

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

I think that your write-up is fine as well and that you shouldn't have any problems how it is. But just for the record, you do not need to have any sort of reason for only seeing your fiancee once at this stage! The first part of this process is just to weed out those that don't meet the conditions and to make sure that both parties are free to marry. It is at the interview stage that you *might* have issues with only meeting one time. At USCIS, at least for this part of the process, they wont care that you have only met once. They only need that you have met her once within the last 2 years.

Again, I don't see a problem with how you have it written now, but there is no reason to explain why you cannot see her again.

Also, just IMO, I think that when you type it out for your official I-129F you SHOULD NOT KEEP IT IN ALL CAPS! It makes it really difficult for me to read...and commas are our friends :whistle:

Haha, ya that was just a rough idea.... I will change it to not all Caps. Thanks for the info.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.