Kath

LAND DOWNUNDER, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

2,770 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

...yes i will miss family and friends but we have the internet, skype, yahoo messenger and phone calling cards plus once my 2 yrs are up we will fly back for a visit down here and hopefully my family will be able to visit us as well i know my nieces are planning it next year when they save up their air fares lol.. they want to go outlet shopping with me in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and cant wait.. Sadly my parents are unable to fly over for our American Wedding this July as Dad's Doctor said it would be far too taxing for him [Dad is 85] but we held a lovely Rose Committment Ceremony down here last month with my family and friends and co workers to attend we had a Wishing Well and were given close to $2000 which sure has helped with the bills we are facing for the sale of my duplex and the move...

I'm a little confused, "2 years are up"? What do you mean? Conditional residency? You know you can travel during that time right? The "condition" is really only that you're married to a USC, and even then you can apply for a waiver for that if you can prove a bonafide relationship.

As for wedding, I know how you feel. My father wasn't/isn't able to travel (he's 91) and my mum looks after him so she couldn't come either so our wedding was sans family.. except for my older sister and her husband who were able to make the journey. We're planning a trip (hopefully soon!!) to go down to Aus and have Tony meet my family (in person) and it'll be his first Aussie visit. I would also like to plan a "re-wedding" almost.. I'm still tossing around ideas as I dont have many friends/family back home so a small intimate thing. I like your idea, it sounds very cute. I'm thinking of playing the ceremony on a big projector screen in our living room (you can hire them I think... maybe from our high school or something) and then having a "reception" at my parents house for everyone to meet Tony. I can't wait honestly, it'll be great I'm sure.

There's actually not too much I miss about home anymore except the family and friends, but I do miss the FEELING. Here I pretty much have Tony. I ALWAYS knew no matter what I could go home to my parents, or they would come to me if I needed help... I suppose it was a safety net. I don't really have that same "safe" feeling here. Just kinda Tony and I against the world kinda thing. I'm sure HIS friends would help out but they're his friends.. I don't know I think it's hard to explain. You know those friends you've had for life that just KNOW you. They know the stupid people you went to school with, they were there in shock when you told them your dad had a heart attack.. you know.. the tough stuff.. you know they're trustworthy... I miss that a lot. There's a lot of trust I really need to build with people here...

I'm truly happy (and maybe a little jealous) that everyone's doing so well. I know I'm feeling much better. As I said to Tony, I feel more "normal". I mean I HATE living with his family but I mean I know the driving stuff (getting better :D) I know the banking and health care stuff. Tony got a job offer today and it's a job with benefits... I actually know what that MEANS! and what such a good thing it is for him/us!! lol. One thing I am interested in, that I have yet to experience.. doctors and dentists **knock on wood**. I would REALLY like to go have a checkup and both. I'm sure my dentist back home screwed something up and I only hope it doesn't end with a root canal... :S DRUGS!!

Timeline

I'm a little confused, "2 years are up"? What do you mean? Conditional residency? You know you can travel during that time right? The "condition" is really only that you're married to a USC, and even then you can apply for a waiver for that if you can prove a bonafide relationship.

As for wedding, I know how you feel. My father wasn't/isn't able to travel (he's 91) and my mum looks after him so she couldn't come either so our wedding was sans family.. except for my older sister and her husband who were able to make the journey. We're planning a trip (hopefully soon!!) to go down to Aus and have Tony meet my family (in person) and it'll be his first Aussie visit. I would also like to plan a "re-wedding" almost.. I'm still tossing around ideas as I dont have many friends/family back home so a small intimate thing. I like your idea, it sounds very cute. I'm thinking of playing the ceremony on a big projector screen in our living room (you can hire them I think... maybe from our high school or something) and then having a "reception" at my parents house for everyone to meet Tony. I can't wait honestly, it'll be great I'm sure.

There's actually not too much I miss about home anymore except the family and friends, but I do miss the FEELING. Here I pretty much have Tony. I ALWAYS knew no matter what I could go home to my parents, or they would come to me if I needed help... I suppose it was a safety net. I don't really have that same "safe" feeling here. Just kinda Tony and I against the world kinda thing. I'm sure HIS friends would help out but they're his friends.. I don't know I think it's hard to explain. You know those friends you've had for life that just KNOW you. They know the stupid people you went to school with, they were there in shock when you told them your dad had a heart attack.. you know.. the tough stuff.. you know they're trustworthy... I miss that a lot. There's a lot of trust I really need to build with people here...

I'm truly happy (and maybe a little jealous) that everyone's doing so well. I know I'm feeling much better. As I said to Tony, I feel more "normal". I mean I HATE living with his family but I mean I know the driving stuff (getting better :D) I know the banking and health care stuff. Tony got a job offer today and it's a job with benefits... I actually know what that MEANS! and what such a good thing it is for him/us!! lol. One thing I am interested in, that I have yet to experience.. doctors and dentists **knock on wood**. I would REALLY like to go have a checkup and both. I'm sure my dentist back home screwed something up and I only hope it doesn't end with a root canal... :S DRUGS!!

UGH I hear you on the dentist....I have another wisdom tooth coming through and I'm DYING...I mean, I am good with pain but this sucks!! But, can't afford the dentist until I get a job :( I have a second round interview for Nine West on Wednesday so fingers crossed!

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

UGH I hear you on the dentist....I have another wisdom tooth coming through and I'm DYING...I mean, I am good with pain but this sucks!! But, can't afford the dentist until I get a job :( I have a second round interview for Nine West on Wednesday so fingers crossed!

Ohhh fingers crossed for you!! Tony wouldn't be starting his new job till June 1st but it says "free 6 month checkups" at the dentist. Once it's official I'm making an appointment!! and I'll be reading his benefits package stuff front to back!! I feel fine health wise but like you.. I would REALLY appreciate a dentist...

While we're on the "spending money" subject. My hair REALLY needs to be cute. I'm thinking nothing too major but lopping off just below shoulder height and considering a fringe (bangs :P).. not sure yet but here's my qn: What's the "proper" length of time between visits? 2 months? 1 month? 6 weeks? I think I read 6 but is that if you have a colour?? Ugh. The water in houston destroyed my hair pretty well which is why I'm considering cutting a bit off (maybe 5-10 cms it'll be) to help it "heal".

Timeline

Ohhh fingers crossed for you!! Tony wouldn't be starting his new job till June 1st but it says "free 6 month checkups" at the dentist. Once it's official I'm making an appointment!! and I'll be reading his benefits package stuff front to back!! I feel fine health wise but like you.. I would REALLY appreciate a dentist...

While we're on the "spending money" subject. My hair REALLY needs to be cute. I'm thinking nothing too major but lopping off just below shoulder height and considering a fringe (bangs :P).. not sure yet but here's my qn: What's the "proper" length of time between visits? 2 months? 1 month? 6 weeks? I think I read 6 but is that if you have a colour?? Ugh. The water in houston destroyed my hair pretty well which is why I'm considering cutting a bit off (maybe 5-10 cms it'll be) to help it "heal".

hahah I am really bad with going to the hairdresser on a regular basis!! For colour is meant to be six weeks, for cuts it's "supposed" to be every three months. For me, I'll colour my hair and try and push it as long as I can by using colour depositing shampoo and conditioner and other treatments. That way I can make it last more than two months. AS for cuts...well, last year I got it cut in the June and didn't make it to a hairdresser again until around December!! I cut my own fringe though, which makes it last and then I just try and ignore my ends haha. As for trying to heal destroyed hair....if you don't want to lop off too much, try getting a hair mask (not pantene!) to try and re-seal the shaft. Oil treatments are always good. Or eggs. Then again, if it's really bad, getting the chop might be the way to go.....I went short not long ago and it's a nice change :)

Timeline

hahah I am really bad with going to the hairdresser on a regular basis!! For colour is meant to be six weeks, for cuts it's "supposed" to be every three months. For me, I'll colour my hair and try and push it as long as I can by using colour depositing shampoo and conditioner and other treatments. That way I can make it last more than two months. AS for cuts...well, last year I got it cut in the June and didn't make it to a hairdresser again until around December!! I cut my own fringe though, which makes it last and then I just try and ignore my ends haha. As for trying to heal destroyed hair....if you don't want to lop off too much, try getting a hair mask (not pantene!) to try and re-seal the shaft. Oil treatments are always good. Or eggs. Then again, if it's really bad, getting the chop might be the way to go.....I went short not long ago and it's a nice change :)

It's not bad (and it was supposed to say CUT not cute in my original post about this.. but it works too :P) but it gets tangled REALLY easily which says to me "jagged" or something. Well I also have wavy hair but it never used to tangle like this (won't even wear it out.. pointless). I'm definitely thinking the chop and maybe a mask or something like that too. I should look into this more.. oil treatments I've heard are good... I have a "long" face so I'm not sure if I can carry the fringe but tis better to risk and let is grow out.. il n'est pas?

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

It's not bad (and it was supposed to say CUT not cute in my original post about this.. but it works too :P) but it gets tangled REALLY easily which says to me "jagged" or something. Well I also have wavy hair but it never used to tangle like this (won't even wear it out.. pointless). I'm definitely thinking the chop and maybe a mask or something like that too. I should look into this more.. oil treatments I've heard are good... I have a "long" face so I'm not sure if I can carry the fringe but tis better to risk and let is grow out.. il n'est pas?

Hahah I did think it was strange you said 'cute' but you are right, it works! Yeah, when my ends are a mess my hair tangles more often. Right before I cut if all off, it was really hard to wear down because it would be a mess. And I have wavy hair also, and an long face. I have a bigger forehead, and I like having a blunt fringe or one to the side. You could try having a sideswept fringe at first. If you have it, its easy to pin back or grow out, if you feel brave, go for the full in fringe. If you get a good hairdresser, they can cut it in a way that you can have it both swept to the side of completely down.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Sounds like a good cut will do it good Ness. I never go by how long hairdressers tell me I should go between cuts ... I got by how my hair is. If it starts getting tangled easily when I'm combing it, then it needs a cut ... also if I start seeing split ends, then I'll get it cut. My hair always has a lot of colour over colour, because I go from blonde to brunette and back every year lol. I have decided recently that I have more fun when I'm blonde, so I'm going to stay that way.

I'm getting my hair done the morning before I leave for the US ... I booked in yesterday and got a quote ... for a half head of blonde foils it's $125. I will need a toner, so that's another $30 or so and a cut is $69! If I want it blow waved and straightened, another $10 on top of the cut. Now I remember why I stopped going to that salon LOL. They do an awesome quality job thought, so I'm just sucking up the cost this time and splurging before I go. Plus I don't want to walk out of there with wet hair and have to do it when I get home, because we are leaving for the airport mid arvo lol.

Here's a bit of useless info ... I am half qualified with Hairdressing ... I was doing my cert III at Box Hill but it got too expensive to continue ... last check it was $14 grand!!

family2.jpg

PFvGp11.png

Timeline

Sounds like a good cut will do it good Ness. I never go by how long hairdressers tell me I should go between cuts ... I got by how my hair is. If it starts getting tangled easily when I'm combing it, then it needs a cut ... also if I start seeing split ends, then I'll get it cut. My hair always has a lot of colour over colour, because I go from blonde to brunette and back every year lol. I have decided recently that I have more fun when I'm blonde, so I'm going to stay that way.

I'm getting my hair done the morning before I leave for the US ... I booked in yesterday and got a quote ... for a half head of blonde foils it's $125. I will need a toner, so that's another $30 or so and a cut is $69! If I want it blow waved and straightened, another $10 on top of the cut. Now I remember why I stopped going to that salon LOL. They do an awesome quality job thought, so I'm just sucking up the cost this time and splurging before I go. Plus I don't want to walk out of there with wet hair and have to do it when I get home, because we are leaving for the airport mid arvo lol.

Here's a bit of useless info ... I am half qualified with Hairdressing ... I was doing my cert III at Box Hill but it got too expensive to continue ... last check it was $14 grand!!

Ouchie to 14 grand!! Yep thinking a cut is definitely a go... plus.. $15 here!! OMG right? I just hope they're good.. I should ask MIL (not that I TRULY trust her...) who the best one is... worst come to worst I have bobby pins and hair ties till it grows out!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I think the cheaper price might just be cause of the conversion. I know Ham's been whining about how the dollar went down.....or up. I don't know it went somewhere that made stuff over in Aussie cost more. :P Which probably doesn't help since he's on ticket watch trying to get a cheap flight to the states.

Hey, side note though. Can't you work on the fiance visa? And then once you get the EAD you can work on that too? Ham's wondering how soon he can start working over here. He is not one to sit around the house. :P

~~~~~Ham + Bacon~~~~~

09-10-03 - Met online

10-31-03 - Started dating

09-30-06 - Broke things off Ham wasn't ready for immigration (stayed friends)

12-03-08 - Began dating again...after a certain someone finally realized I was right in what I had been telling him for 2 years. (Had to add that :P )

12-03-08 - Unofficially engaged :)

K1 Visa

10-19-2009 - Sent I-129F to VCS

10-21-2009 - Check cashed

10-22-2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy

10-23-2009 - Touched

01-22-2010 - NOA2

02-04-2010 - Received Package 3

02-22-2010 - Ham finally went to get his medical done

02-24-2010 - Received the all clear on the medical

03-13-2010 - Submitted paperwork for police check

03-25-2010 - Received the Police Check

04-06-2010 - Submitting the P3 to Consulate

04-11-2010 - Received P4

05-04-2010 - Interview! - Needed more evidence of relationship. :( Emailed pics and email convos one hour later.

05-05-2010 - Approved!!!!!!

05-06-2010 - VISA IN HAND!!!!!!

06-09-2010 - POE - LAX (Official Proposal!!!)

07-10-2010 - Wedding :D

AOS

08-31-2010 - Mailed off AOS

09-02-2010 - Packet Received

09-09-2010 - NOA1 Emails - AOS, EAD, AP

09-14-2010 - NOA1 Hard Copies - AOS, EAD, AP

10-04-2010 - Biometrics (AOS and EAD)

11-03-2010 - Email and Text that EAD and AP were approved

11-05-2010 - Email and Text that EAD was sent on for production of card.

11-09-2010 - Email and Text that notice regarding EAD was sent (EAD card, hopefully?)

11-30-2010 - AOS Interview Date

.... back for a visit down here and hopefully my family will be able to visit us as well i know my nieces are planning it next year when they save up their air fares lol.. they want to go outlet shopping with me in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and cant wait..

When you go to Gatlinburg with your neices don't go into the Ripley's believe it or not haunted house. It is just way too scarey. For fun though you could watch the poor people come out crying. James and I thought it would be fun, we laugh about it now and even a little then. But we will never do it again. Gatlinburg is like one big amusement park. Seemed very odd at the time. We coudln't stay long. I got a few pics of herbie the love bug and king king

James and I travelled up to Tennesse.

We camped at the Pisgah national forest in NC we went for a drive up into the Smoky Mountains had lunch at Cherokee. put one foot on the appalachian trail then went to Gatlinburg. We started off little adventure form Florida, more then 10hrs drive away. We were mainly there to see his mother who lives in Spartanburg SC.

If you do go into the haunted house and you see the tunnel lined with black airbags (think about a part of a womens anatomy) This is where everything went wrong, because James is claustrophobic! he panicked, left me(I was the leader of the group)and turned everyone else who was in there around, trying to get out.

I on the other hand had gotten out and was listening to everyone still in there yelling :whistle: as James was going back the other way :wacko: . He relised he left me in there and decided he had to go back to "rescue" me. So he re-entered the black ####### yelling my name to find me.

The people were still in there lost (we did the "marco - polo thing") he finally pops out of the black ####### and we run for it and leave the other people in there :innocent: . We get back to our car after first stopping at the Bubba Gump shrimp store and drive past the haunted house and the family that was with us in the haunted house were just coming out. Needless to say they didn't have smiles on their faces. Now we know why there were children crying out the front as we walked past before we went in. :bonk:

Oh we also went to chimney rock in Tennesse it looks a little more like a part from the male anatomy :whistle:

27 Jan 2010 - I-129F sent (US time)

28 Jan 2010 - USCIS (Vermont Service Center) receive our petition (US time)

29 Jan 2010 - NOA1 (date on form)

05 Feb 2010 - NOA1 in hand[/color]

03 Mar 2010 - Police check done

05 Mar 2010 - Blood test done to check my immunity

10 Mar 2010 - Mum diagnosed with bowel cancer

16 Mar 2010 - Mum has surgery. Doing fine :)

19 Mar 2010 - Police check arrives in mail (16days)

14 Apr 2010 - RECEIVED NOA2!!

20 Apr 2010 - NVC sends petition to SYD (US time)

23 Apr 2010 - SYD receives petition (tracked using DHL)

29 Apr 2010 - To SYD for medical with Dr Millar - Packet 3 received (emailed to James, forwarded to me)

04 May 2010 - Medical report received

19 May 2010 - P3 Sent

25 May 2010 - P4 received interview set for the 1st June

01 June 2010 - INTERVIEW APPROVED!!

08 June 2010 - VISA IN HAND!!

08 July 2010 - flight... In James's arms

05 Oct 2010 - MARRIED

18 Mar 2011 - Filed AOS EAD AP (5mths after marriage)

22 Apr 2011 - NOA's received (3 letters, Not all on the one day)

?? Apr 2011 - Received letter for BIO appointment in Tampa FL

11 May 2011 - !! YAY TRANSFERRED TO CSC !!

20 May 2011 - Bio at Tampa

26 May 2011 - EAD Approved

04 Jun 2011 - EAD & AP Received

12 Jul 2011 - Green Card Approved/Card Ordered

Timeline

I think the cheaper price might just be cause of the conversion. I know Ham's been whining about how the dollar went down.....or up. I don't know it went somewhere that made stuff over in Aussie cost more. :P Which probably doesn't help since he's on ticket watch trying to get a cheap flight to the states.

Hey, side note though. Can't you work on the fiance visa? And then once you get the EAD you can work on that too? Ham's wondering how soon he can start working over here. He is not one to sit around the house. :P

Cheaper price 'cause of the conversion? maybe.. I know in my small country town in Aus a haircut was $20. But go to Melb and it was $60.. not including washing your hair, blow drying/straightening etc...

As for working... nopers. Not allowed. He will need to wait until he gets his EAD or GC to work. Boring as bloody hell I tell you. He is allowed to volunteer as long as it's not at a place he plans on working at when he's allowed to (not allowed ANY gain from it). He is also permitted to work for a company as long as it's not US based.. so I know of some people that are doing stuff IN the US (from home) but as it's not a US based company it's fine.

Sorry :(

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Well fellow Aussies, it's been 2 weeks and I'm now officially waiting overtime for my police cert... I hate you qld police... Lol

The Long Wait...

Unmarried Son of US Citizen OVER 21

[dd/mm/yy]

USCIS

xx/03/05 - I130 Sent

24/03/05 - NOA1 Received

[many moons later]

12/03/09 - NOA2 Received

Your I-130 was approved in 1448 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

05/04/10 - Received I-864 Bill

23/04/10 - IV Fee Bill Received

18/05/10 - DS230 Sent

11/06/10 - July 2010 Bulletin shows PD Current - WOOT!

14/06/10 - Operator and AVR Update to say CASE COMPLETE 10/6/10

16/06/10 - SIF

CONSULATE

29/06/10 - P4

07/07/10 @ 11:00am - Medical - COMPLETE

03/08/10 @ 9:00am 11:00am - Interview!(SYD) - APPROVED!

USA

13/09/2010 - POE @ LAX

24/09/2010 - Welcome Letter from USCIS!

25/09/2010 - Green Card Arrived

07/10/2010 - SSN!

Timeline

Well fellow Aussies, it's been 2 weeks and I'm now officially waiting overtime for my police cert... I hate you qld police... Lol

call police HQ on roma street, they can chase it up for you. I did that and the woman I spoke with made sure it went out that day. I put the direct number in the Aus. Beneficiaries link, let me see if I can go find it.....I just trawled through the posts in that thread by me and couldn't find it...and I can't remember where I posted it! Sorry! But, if you call and ask for the police check department, they will put you through :)

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

call police HQ on roma street, they can chase it up for you. I did that and the woman I spoke with made sure it went out that day. I put the direct number in the Aus. Beneficiaries link, let me see if I can go find it.....I just trawled through the posts in that thread by me and couldn't find it...and I can't remember where I posted it! Sorry! But, if you call and ask for the police check department, they will put you through :)

I called the number on the qld police website, and got some massive long winded avr that said it could take upto 5 weeks...

The Long Wait...

Unmarried Son of US Citizen OVER 21

[dd/mm/yy]

USCIS

xx/03/05 - I130 Sent

24/03/05 - NOA1 Received

[many moons later]

12/03/09 - NOA2 Received

Your I-130 was approved in 1448 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

05/04/10 - Received I-864 Bill

23/04/10 - IV Fee Bill Received

18/05/10 - DS230 Sent

11/06/10 - July 2010 Bulletin shows PD Current - WOOT!

14/06/10 - Operator and AVR Update to say CASE COMPLETE 10/6/10

16/06/10 - SIF

CONSULATE

29/06/10 - P4

07/07/10 @ 11:00am - Medical - COMPLETE

03/08/10 @ 9:00am 11:00am - Interview!(SYD) - APPROVED!

USA

13/09/2010 - POE @ LAX

24/09/2010 - Welcome Letter from USCIS!

25/09/2010 - Green Card Arrived

07/10/2010 - SSN!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.