TonyDanza

Left (and RETURNED) without AP but now have AOS interview

49 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all.

I posted here before and it turned into a why are you so stupid thread. But I fixed the main issue and am now back in the US.

I am awaiting my AOS interview and left the country without AP to attend an important family event. (Stupid I know).

I was worried about getting back into the US but my plane ticket to my home country happened to have a layover which went through a US airport where they required me to go through customs...which I cleared.

Now though, I have two issues. I have a passport with a recent entry stamp, (doesn't match my original entry date prior to this trip which I stated on my AOS forms) and my new passport was issued a week ago while overseas, meaning it was issued outside the US, i.e proof I left.

Will these be serious issues at the AOS interview? Was I not supposed to leave the country because of the danger of not getting back in, and that was it? Any other reason? Did I violate and laws? I told the customs official the truth but am worried about the INS official thinking I lied or telling me that I broke a law by leaving without AP.

The last question is, if I have broken a rule by leaving, can I attend the AOS interview without a passport but perhaps a letter stating I have applied for a new one? I am kind of desperate here and realize my mistake here so please, advice helps where criticism doesn't. I am just trying to minimize the damage I inadvertantly caused by making a hasty and emotional desision. And my AOS interview is bearing down quickly so I am working to problem solve this situation.

Anyway, thanks for reading and/or posting~

03/04/2007 Entered as Canadian Visitor (no i-94 issued)

07/23/2008 Married in Las Vegas, NV.

10/03/2008 Mailed i-130, i-485, EAD to Chicago.

10/10/2008 AOS packet accepted & signed for.

11/02/2008 Received 2 NOA's, one for each application.

11/29/2008 Received a Yellow RFE regarding i-485. (Need additional Tax Info.)

12/10/2008 Mailed back RFE with required material from sponsor and joint sponsor. Sent Priority.

01/14/2009 Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Notice.

01/01/2009 ASC Biometrics Appointment Completed.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

USCIS may consider I-485 to be abandoned due to travel without AP. I have seen other posts where they deny the AOS due to travel.

You may be filing an I-130 for a spousal visa.

SEE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=165251&hl=

They will know about the trip, Customs (POE) is part of USCIS and this record will be on file, NEVER try to misrepresent yourself, the result will be deportation and a ban on future entries.

Moving to AOS from Work/Visitor/Student visa forum

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Have you tried getting an INFOPASS appointment and speaking w/ an immigration officer before your AOS interview....maybe they can enlighten you as to whether you should be waiting out the interview, or withdrawing your I-485 and re-filing for AOS with the I-130.

Leaving the country, without AP while AOS is pending, could be constituted as abandoning your application to adjust status. That is why you were not supposed to leave the country without prior approval of AP, because it nullifies your AOS(based upon the K-1) application. Now, you are certainly in a quandary because as stated by YandD, you must never lie to USCIS, and will need to disclose your leaving the country w/out AP, but doing so may trigger a denial of your I-485 application. USCIS will have the information that you left and re-entered anyways...so old passport or new, they will know before your interview.

Edited by Minya's wife
funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Your AOS was abandoned when you left. If you attempt to "hide" the fact that you left the U.S. it would be material misrepresentation and can keep you from ever immigrating. Your most recent entry was definitely with immigrant intent without an immigrant visa. The correct path for you would be to return home before your current authorized stay expires and your spouse should file for the CR1 visa. There is no other legal way to correct your situation.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

I think this is the time to hire a very experienced immigration attorney, rather than asking VJ.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I told the customs official the truth but am worried about the INS official thinking I lied or telling me that I broke a law by leaving without AP.

What custom official---when you entered back in the usa?

Like somebody mentioned, maybe is time to hire a good attorney just in case.

My colleague from work also had left the country without an AP by honest pure mistake, and the border patrol didn't hassle him, and his interview went fine. You could go in and hope for the best, and just be honest about what happened---that you left the country not knowing you needed an AP; that's if this comes up. At my friend's interview what they asked was a wedding question and something about how was the usa lifestyle....leaving the country never came up. Sure thing NOT to do is lie about what happened.

When is the interview?

Edited by ikarus

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Did the original poster say he had a ticket from Mexico to Canada with a layover in the US and just left the airport instead of completing his travel ? What was stamped on his passpsort? Does he have a new I 94 ? Where is his K1 visa ?? In the old ( now invalid because he reported it lost or stolen) passport ? Lets hope the interviewer is in a very very good mood.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Timeline

Thanks for all the help folks.

'Flying by the seat of my pants' is ANYTHING but what I 'like to do' but I dont want to get into my life here and how rarely I have seen my family in the past decade. (Lets say you could count it one one hand after you fell hand first into a lawnmower).

Anyway, I made a mistake and am upfront in realizing that. I messed up and made an emotional decision which is now fast becoming a very scary prospect about years without my wife.

So the details are, I went to Mexico. Then when returning I thought it would be better (for whatever non sensical reason) if I entered back from my home country, so yes I bought the flight home back to Canada. The flight had a stopover in the US in which I thought I would just wait in the airport. They actually made me go through customs as it was a little less than a day layover and a different connecting flight company so they made me do immigration, then get my bags and then do customs. They gave me a new i-94 (which are not required for Canadians but they just hand them to all on a plane) and I filled mine out and turned it in. They didn't fingerprint or photo me, although EVERY other person I saw they did but thats probably neither here nor there. I then was in the US and came back to see my wife. I am trying to abide by all other laws so I will tomorrow look for a reasonable lawyer however I dont have too much money as I have been waiting and not working for the past quarter of a year while waiting for this process to come to completion. And of the money I had, I spent a significant portion trying to get to my sisters wedding.

So now my 'new' passport which was issued there, says so, and also has a US entry stamp dated a few weeks ago. So I will re-read all comments again and hope I answered any questions that were posted cause I appreciate EVERY comment. My stomach is a knot over this whole fiasco.

How hard and long is the process to switch applications? Or is there harm in going to the interview, being honest, and saying yes, I fudged up? Other then at worst a denial, would they ban me for life? Not like a denial woulnt totally shatter me also! :crying:

Anyway an additional tips are a huge aid to me. You guys know as much as most lawyers I've talked to anyhow cause the really knowledgeable ones are for the most part just out of my financial ballpark. Boo-hoo. Anyway I truly appreciate it all, and yes someone asked if I was Canadian which I am. Thanks again all.

12/10/2008 Mailed back RFE with required material from sponsor and joint sponsor. Sent Priority.

Timeline

Also, my last passport prior to the one issued while down there was not reported lost or stolen. It was just running low on time and dipped just under the 3 month of validity date while down there, so the embassy issued this new one and took my old one from me. I had no K1 visa as my wife and I who had been dating for 5 years (saw each other primarily on my tourist summer trips and her trips to me in Canada) married spontaneously while in Vegas on a holiday so that is the history there. It wasn't really planned at all although we had discussed it previously but we just decided while on a happy holiday that after such a long time it was something we both really wanted together so we grabbed a limo and did it. We plan to have a huge traditional family wedding after and if we get an AOS and can set up camp for our large families to attend. Thought Id add that for the question above...sorry to ramble. (L)

Edited by TonyDanza

Filed: Other Timeline

passport issued "down there' meaning where exactly? In Mexico? In the US? huh? :huh:

You very likely to have a problem, as leaving the country without AP when adjusting status from tourist or K1 status is an absolute no-no. However, the fact that, as you say, you were up front with USCIS upon your last entry (were you though? did you tell them you have a current AOS application in process and that you've been livign in the US married to a USC?) may be your saving grace. MAY be.

You run the risk of your AOS being denied and being deported, possibly being banned for a period of a few years. Your wife will then have to immigrate to Canada.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If it were me, I think I would still go to my AOS interview, NOT volunteer any information, answer TRUTHFULLY all the questions asked, and see what happens.

If you are denied the AOS, you will have to apply for a spousal visa.

That's just my opinion, but I know of a few people (Canadians) who left the U.S. without AP and got their AOS anyways.

The key here is not to be dishonest (in order to avoid a ban), just don't give any information that is not asked for.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline
If it were me, I think I would still go to my AOS interview, NOT volunteer any information, answer TRUTHFULLY all the questions asked, and see what happens.

If you are denied the AOS, you will have to apply for a spousal visa.

That's just my opinion, but I know of a few people (Canadians) who left the U.S. without AP and got their AOS anyways.

The key here is not to be dishonest (in order to avoid a ban), just don't give any information that is not asked for.

I couldn't agree anymore!

As i told you already, my colleague at work did the same---left the country without ap, and this didn't even come up in the interview. And he wasn't about to ask---'does it matter that i left the country without an ap last year?'

Now, if it does come up, tell the facts; yes, i went to mexico and came back to the states. If they ask you if you knew that this was not allowed you can say, no i did not know this. And don't give more details than you have to.

I was watching that cops show a while back and the man gets stopped by the cops for not having the right rear lights on his truck. Cop says, 'sir, did you know that you have the wrong lights on your truck?'

Man says, 'yes.'

Cop then asks, 'how do you know you have the wrong lights?'

Man says, 'Because I was stopped by another cop who told me the same...'

Wife who is in the vehicle is squirming at this moment....

Cop says, "so another cop gave you a warning, and you didn't fix the lights on your truck?"

man say, 'yes sir.'

Cop goes to the side and says, 'I wasn't gonna give him a ticket, but he admitted he knew he should have had the right lights, so now I'm forced to give him a ticket...'

Of course, the wife in the car is shown telling the man, 'what were you thinkiing?'

Obviously the man wasn't! :D

Given your history----you better be thinking right when you go to your interview! :whistle:

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.