2bornot2b

After citizenship: need to contact Social security and DMV

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I understand why you need to apply for a passport but why do you have to inform Social security and dmv regarding change in status?

The social security card I have been carrying for more than 10 years since getting my greencard and my driver's license is just as long. Do we need to contact those 2 agencies regarding status change?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I understand why you need to apply for a passport but why do you have to inform Social security and dmv regarding change in status?

The social security card I have been carrying for more than 10 years since getting my greencard and my driver's license is just as long. Do we need to contact those 2 agencies regarding status change?

JUst the Social security Office.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

JUst the Social security Office.

But why?

Because Social Security Admin office kept your immigration status tied to your social security number...

Some of Social Security Benefit is limited to US citizen...

Some of Social Security Benefit may be differ based on immigration status.

For an example, you can receive some of Social Security benefit from overseas if you are U.S. citizen.

Also, it will help your immigration status consistent to other organization.

For an example, Voting system and DMV is cross-checking your immigration status using your social security number and names.

You have to file SS-5, the same form you used to request SSN, to update your immigration status from Lawful Permanent Resident to US Citizen.

For DMV, because of Real-ID things, they reenforced the system to have immigration status.

Sometimes it tied to expiry date, too.

So when police officer catch you on the road for speed ticket or something like that, they can check your immigration status.

So it's better to update both SSA, and DMV.

If you have US Passport, you can update both very easily.

It's just the matter of their employee to confirm your identity with US passport and update their system.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Updated my info at SSN office, took all of 3 minutes!! To speed up the process, download the form at SSN.GOV--same form as u initially filled out--they just type it into the computer and update it!! As well ensure u have your Naturalization letter! Very simple.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Your current SS card must say something like "contact INS (or USCIS) for work eligibility". This is because the SS still thinks you're on a work visa or green card. To change that you need to notify them. I'd do that as soon as you have your passport because it could cause you problems if you try to apply for a new job.

The DMV I believe is only necessary when you renew your ID card. You cannot get an ID if you don't have a green card or visa, so it's the same thing, you just show your passport and it's all good. For that one i'll wait until I have to renew.

Mattr.

N-400

2008-09-15 Mailed N-400

2008-09-16 Check cashed

2008-09-24 NOA1 received

2008-10-10 BIO

2009-02-12 Interview - passed!

2009-02-18 Oath

2009-02-18 American citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Your current SS card must say something like "contact INS (or USCIS) for work eligibility". This is because the SS still thinks you're on a work visa or green card. To change that you need to notify them. I'd do that as soon as you have your passport because it could cause you problems if you try to apply for a new job.

The DMV I believe is only necessary when you renew your ID card. You cannot get an ID if you don't have a green card or visa, so it's the same thing, you just show your passport and it's all good. For that one i'll wait until I have to renew.

Mattr.

If the person came on a CR-1 (like me) or a CR-1 it doesnt say any of that!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This link is helpful,

http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

Only the DOS and SS wanted to see my wife's certificate, just showed it at SS, they kept her same number since she first got her restricted card, good to check that so you are assured of getting your benefits if they still have them.

I only filled out her form once, just changing her status and the date, first was legal alien allowed to work, then LPR, then USC.

With all the hell our DMV gave us, walked in with her certificate, they said next time she applied, just check the USC box, no need to bring in her certificate, same with voters registration. A bit of stress with sending off the certificate to the DOS for a passport, they have been known to lose stuff, but it came back. Also showed her certificate to her employer, they can get fined 16,000 bucks if her green card runs out, won't ever be a concern again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Depending on the state that you reside and DMV laws you may or may not need to notify them. I know in our state we can only renew my husband's driver's license at one of four offices in the whole state. His license is only good until the expiration of his green card and his license also states in bold letters at the top FOREIGN NATIONAL.

We want to have this removed from the license and be able to go to a local office instead of a two hour drive away from our home.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.