itty_bitty

you think you're safe if u married within 90 days?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This story makes me scared to go to Texas because I'm out of status now even though I already filed for my AOS. If you live in Texas or have been there and experienced similar thing as the girl in the story did, please share it also.

No AOS, got caught, put in jail

I just want to know if some people here have been out of status (but with a pending AOS application) and traveled or lived in Texas, was interrogated in a border patrol check point and it didn't turn out to be a problem. i'm going to texas and im sure my application won't be approved by then so now im doubtful because of what ive read.

AOS Timeline

Dec. 09, 2008- mailed AOS packet

Dec. 10, 2008- received by V. Bustamante

Dec. 16, 2008- money order payment was cashed

Dec. 22, 2008- received NOAs for I-131; I-485; and I-765 in the mail (yay!)

Feb. 21, 2009- received I-512L (Advance Parole document)

Feb. 24, 2009- biometrics done

Mar. 05, 2009- EAD received

Mar. 05, 2009- case transferred to CSC

Mar. 10, 2009- applied for SSN

Mar. 21, 2009- SSN card received

Apr. 10, 2009- Welcome Notice Received dated 04/06/09

Apr. 13, 2009- Greencard received

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
are you driving to texas? just avoid I-10

yes my husband and i will be driving. so it's still not safe then, even if you've filed already? :(

AOS Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
are you driving to texas? just avoid I-10

yes my husband and i will be driving. so it's still not safe then, even if you've filed already? :(

depends on where in texas though and where you're coming from. you pass thru checkpoints on I-10. if you're west bound I-10, there is one in New Mexico, if you're east bound I-10, there is one right outside of El Paso, TX. so if you're going a different route, you won't see these places. I'm not sure if there are more (those are the only ones I have seen), but I know those are there due to the fact its so close to the Mexican border. I've drove to Houston, and thru Dallas from Austin, and know there are none there.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
This story makes me scared to go to Texas because I'm out of status now even though I already filed for my AOS. If you live in Texas or have been there and experienced similar thing as the girl in the story did, please share it also.

No AOS, got caught, put in jail

I just want to know if some people here have been out of status (but with a pending AOS application) and traveled or lived in Texas, was interrogated in a border patrol check point and it didn't turn out to be a problem. i'm going to texas and im sure my application won't be approved by then so now im doubtful because of what ive read.

I guess that woman did not file her AOS before her visa expired. Eventhough she had a marriage certificate but had not filed her AOS, her stay was considered illegal and can be considered "overstaying". The K1 visa holder is given 90 days to get married but then there is a need to file for AOS after getting married.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

hi there!

we visited texas last month and did not encounter any problem at all.

u will surely be ok, just bring some necessary docs just in case.

01/22/08 hired an immigration lawyer

02/28/08 I 129F sent it to the lawyer

03/03/08 I-129F Received at CSC

03/04/08 NOA1

03/05/08 Touched

07/14/08 NOA2

07/24/08 Called NVC and got our MNL case number

07/25/08 NOA2 Hard copy received

07/29/08 USEM Rcvd hard file

07/30/08 Paid document verification

08/01/08 Called USEM for interview appointment! (Thank you lord)

08/19/08 Medical Examination

08/20/08 Medical Examination (PASSED)

08/26/08 Interview (PINK Slip only)

10/08/08 Visa Printing! Yehheeyy! (after 48years of waiting)

10/09/08 Visa Printing Done and is ready for release

10/10/08 Visa delivered yippeee!

10/31/08 FLY DAY!!!! POE LAS, NV[/color] PLS BLESS OUR TRIP OH LORD!

11/03/08 Got married in Las Vegas

11/15/08 filed SSN

11/29/08 SSN Card Rcvd

AOS JOURNEY

12/10/08 send AOS & EAD Packet to Chicago Lockbox

12/18/08 Cashed check

12/26/08 Rcvd NOA

01/07/09 Biometrics Appointment/Done

01/12/09 Rcvd mail TRANSFER NOTICE TO CSC (AOS)

03/10/2009 Rcvd EAD

04/20/2009 GREEN CARD RCVD!!! No interview at all!

04/21/2009 Got Driver Learners Permit

The Will of God never takes you to

where the Grace of God will not protect you.

v1g6b64wviy.png

You have filed for AOS so you are fine. Take copies of you NOA1's and marriage cert. to be safe if you are worried about being stopped. You have followed the law, unlike the lady in your story. AOS is not a choice, it's a necessity that that family didn't seem to understand.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

she was out of status but not quite in the "illegal" category. From the story it was clear that she and her husband knew little of the "visa journey."

I feel bad for her detention and I have sympathy for a struggling husband trying to get her back, however, they were ignorant and should have done some serious homework. This is marriage and immigration. Things you should know about before doing.

Emmett Fitz-Hume: I'm sorry I'm late, I had to attend the reading of a will. I had to stay till the very end, and I found out I received nothing... broke my arm.

Timeline
You have filed for AOS so you are fine. Take copies of you NOA1's and marriage cert. to be safe if you are worried about being stopped. You have followed the law, unlike the lady in your story. AOS is not a choice, it's a necessity that that family didn't seem to understand.

I filed the AOS but didnt do it within the 90-day period. I came here May 2007 and only filed for it on December 2008 (same reason: financial) . So even if I already filed, I still overstayed, so thats what concerns me.

AOS Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

OK so apparently I need to do more research, but how soon do you have to file for AOS? Immediately after the marriage is completed? Within the 90-day period after entry to the US? Is there any way to extend that time?

Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The heart has its reasons which reason knows not of. ~Blaise Pascal

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
OK so apparently I need to do more research, but how soon do you have to file for AOS? Immediately after the marriage is completed? Within the 90-day period after entry to the US? Is there any way to extend that time?

\

There is no time limit. You can wait 20 years if yu want.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline
The story on the posted link may be bs too.

i don't think it is. if you read her replies from other's comments, she's willing to give evidences to those who doubt that she just made up the story.

AOS Timeline

Filed: Timeline

\

There is no time limit. You can wait 20 years if yu want.

It's silly, but true! However, you are not in a protected (legal) status until you file for AOS.