rocks

february 2009 aos filers

730 posts in this topic

Waiting for my NOA's and check to be cash..sigh

Hi there Feb AOS Filers...

My fiance is from Indonesia and was granted her K-1 in January 2009. Early this month she arrived in the US and we were married on the 26th of February. I have read through the Forum on preparing the AOS paperwork, and have downloaded the forms from the USCIS website. However, after filling out the I-485 I still have a few questions:

Q1: On form I-485, do I put my fiance's new married name in Part 1; specifically, if my last name is Smith, Do I put her "Family Name" as Smith, and "Given Name" as her first Name (Keke)?

Q2: After getting married, we applied for a social security number with the local Social Security office. Do I need to wait until we receive this number before we submit the I-485 and other AOS paperwork?

-Thanks

Q1: As long as she officially changed her name to Smith then yes you should use that (what's on the marriage certificate?).

Q2: I also applied for SSN but did not receive it before submitting the AOS paper work (including EAD and AP) so I did not include any SSN on the AOS paper work. No problem with that, I already have the NOA's for all three and my biometrics appointment.

I-129F sent to Vermont: Late May 2008

NOA1 received: 17 June 2008

NOA2 received: 2 September 2008

Receive NOA2 about 3 1/2 months after sending

NVC received:

NVC left:

Consulate Received:

Packet 3 sent: 22 October 2008

Interview date: 18 November 2008

Visa approved: 18 November 2008

Arrive in U.S.: 20 January 2009

Marry Fiance: 26 January 2009

Mailed AOS: 7 February 2009

AOS application received by USCIS: 9 February 2009

NOA for AOS/EAD/AP sent from USCIS: 12 February 2009

Biometrics appointment received: 23 February 2009

Biometrics Appointment: 7 March 2009

Interview for AOS: 28 May 2009

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Just thought I'd let you know that we sent the AOS and EAD off on the 19th and received our NOA's in the mail today.

I-130

01/22/2007 Sent I-130

06/04/2007 Approval email notice sent!! YES!!

I-129f

01/31/2007 Sent I-129f

02/05/2007 1st NOA

06/04/2007 Approved....email received 06/05/2007........we are sooooo happy!!

NVC

06/06/2007 Received

07/11/2007 Left NVC

LONDON

07/25/2007 Packet 3 received and sent back

07/31/2007 Packet 4 received

08/09/2007 Interview date - APPROVED!!

08/11/2007 Visa in hand!!

08/24/2007 Flying to US

AOS & EAD

02/19/2009 Sent Package to Chicago

02/20/2009 Package received

02/26/2009 NOA's sent from USCIS

03/02/2009 NOA's in hand!

03/06/2009 Received Biometrics Appointment

03/24/2009 Biometrics Appointment

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Another Feb 2009 filer here..

Sent the AOS package on 2/13, but they received in only on the 2/17 because of the week + President's day.. Got the NOA's and checks were cashed last week. I am waiting for the biometrics letter..

hey and welcome! i looked at your timeline to see your dates as i sent mine the day before you and wanted to compare. i think perhaps this was entered incorrectly :blink:NOA Date : 2008-03-27

i got my biometrics letter on friday so i'm sure you will hear something soon too!

Sent the AOS package on 2/13, but they received in only on the 2/17 because of the week + President's day.. Got the NOA's and checks were cashed last week. I am waiting for the biometrics letter..

hey and welcome! i looked at your timeline to see your dates as i sent mine the day before you and wanted to compare. i think perhaps this was entered incorrectly :blink:NOA Date : 2008-03-27

i got my biometrics letter on friday so i'm sure you will hear something soon too!

Oops... silly me :D

Hi everyone! glad to see everyone moving along.

Bad news for us though. Our package was recieved on 19th feb only to get the entire package back aying it was rejected cuz i needed to submitt either I130 OR I360 OR I797.

The 1st 2 dont apply to me as im doing it from a K1 and i put a photocopy of my NOA2 I797 appproval from k1 visa in the package!!! I even wrote it on the contents and cover page that I included it grrrrrrrr :angry: so thats set us back and now i guess we're not feb filers anymore. so angry that it was their mess up! My package was carefully constructed with a contents page and a cover letter for each application!

Im sending it in 2morrow and putting a contents page in BOLD size 22 font and about 9 of my noa2s in it grrrrrrr :angry::blink:

Timeline

Oops... silly me :D

hehe. ;)

still no biometrics letter?

Timeline
Hi everyone! glad to see everyone moving along.

Bad news for us though. Our package was recieved on 19th feb only to get the entire package back aying it was rejected cuz i needed to submitt either I130 OR I360 OR I797.

The 1st 2 dont apply to me as im doing it from a K1 and i put a photocopy of my NOA2 I797 appproval from k1 visa in the package!!! I even wrote it on the contents and cover page that I included it grrrrrrrr :angry: so thats set us back and now i guess we're not feb filers anymore. so angry that it was their mess up! My package was carefully constructed with a contents page and a cover letter for each application!

Im sending it in 2morrow and putting a contents page in BOLD size 22 font and about 9 of my noa2s in it grrrrrrr :angry::blink:

hey cca! that sucks that they returned it to you, i'm so sorry! i wonder how they got confused about what you were applying for... did you put i-485 original submission on the cover letter and envelope? i hope it all goes smoothly for you this time. :)

hehe. ;)

Nope :( I called the 800 number on the NOA and they are so completely useless. I doubt if those customer rep people have even seen the inside of an immigration office.. bah humbug

I am the most impatient person in the world and this is like torture for me :( And the worst thing is that the mail arrives only after 5pm in my area, and so I am on pins and needles everyday..

Timeline
hehe. ;)

Nope :( I called the 800 number on the NOA and they are so completely useless. I doubt if those customer rep people have even seen the inside of an immigration office.. bah humbug

I am the most impatient person in the world and this is like torture for me :( And the worst thing is that the mail arrives only after 5pm in my area, and so I am on pins and needles everyday..

i have a sneaky suspicion that you will hear something this week, maybe even today! i know it is agonizing waiting for mail but it will come soon. i'm sure the houston office is way more organized than the new orleans one, good ole katrina. ;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Hi February fliers,

I had my biometrics appointment this morning. It was quick and painless. There were no lines so I was in and out in 15 minutes. I even met anotehr lady from Bermuda while I was walking in. :)

When I got home, I had mail from USCIS. Apparently, they've transferred my I-485 application to the California Service Center. I'm hoping that's a good thing.

~ Catherine

Timeline
Hi February fliers,

I had my biometrics appointment this morning. It was quick and painless. There were no lines so I was in and out in 15 minutes. I even met anotehr lady from Bermuda while I was walking in. :)

When I got home, I had mail from USCIS. Apparently, they've transferred my I-485 application to the California Service Center. I'm hoping that's a good thing.

~ Catherine

wow, what are the chances of meeting another person from bermuda!? hehe.

from what i remember, being transferring to the csc is a good thing as you won't require an interview for your greencard. maybe someone can confirm this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Another feb filer here :)

Send package on 14th Feb, received on 18th, check cashed on 27th, received NOA(s) on the same day and biometrics interview letter on 2nd March.

I dont need to take my wife (sponsor) for the biometrics stuff ? Its just taking my pics and fingerprints, right ?

Dont want her to take leave from work.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline
Hi February fliers,

~ Catherine

from what i remember, being transferring to the csc is a good thing as you won't require an interview for your greencard. maybe someone can confirm this?

You would think that they would be low since Bermuda is such a tiny country. The current population is about 66,000 people.

Stranger things have happened to me though. Many years ago while I was in vacation in Senegal, I ran into someone from my high school on the street in Dakar.

~ Catherine

Timeline
Hi February fliers,

~ Catherine

You would think that they would be low since Bermuda is such a tiny country. The current population is about 66,000 people.

Stranger things have happened to me though. Many years ago while I was in vacation in Senegal, I ran into someone from my high school on the street in Dakar.

~ Catherine

i guess it really is a small world! i live i a city (if you can call it that :P ) of 70,000 people and i've met several english people, i never thought that would happen to me either. mississippi isn't exactly most people's choice when they move to america lol.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.