TCorsair

Redacting letters and other supporting papers

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

In thinking of supporting documentation such as letters, credit card statements, chat transcripts and the like - will it be seen as prejudicial if certain parts of those documents are redacted (blacked out)?

If so, thinking to just leave them off -but for example, my credit card statement will show some supporting charges but I am not so keen to show all charges to US CIS nor to reveal my complete credit card number to God know how many folks going through the paperwork.

Likewise some of the letters/chats have some short and personal passages that are not directly relevant so thinking to just line that out and present the rest that does support the petition.

Greatly appreciate any advice/past experience with this.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi,

In thinking of supporting documentation such as letters, credit card statements, chat transcripts and the like - will it be seen as prejudicial if certain parts of those documents are redacted (blacked out)?

If so, thinking to just leave them off -but for example, my credit card statement will show some supporting charges but I am not so keen to show all charges to US CIS nor to reveal my complete credit card number to God know how many folks going through the paperwork.

Likewise some of the letters/chats have some short and personal passages that are not directly relevant so thinking to just line that out and present the rest that does support the petition.

Greatly appreciate any advice/past experience with this.

Thanks!

USCIS only wants documents that prove a face to face meeting... all that other stuff is not required... If you are worried about you are better off just not including it.Period.

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Redacting nonpertinent info is ok. And I am pretty sure that I blacked out all but the last 4 CC numbers (similar to how it shows on most receipts).

If for some reason they wanted to verify the statement you could at that time submit without redaction if needed.

Same with chat transcripts. No need for them to read the juicy bits.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

If you want to include it...then yes...black out all sensitive info

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

MSN saves chat logs as an .xml file. You can import that file into Excel. I did that got the format to look they way i wanted it and then changed the margins to get the max lines per page. After that do a "find" on specific words and delete the rows or just browse through and delete them.

Hopes this helps

No matter what your SS number will be "out there" for who knows who to view. Plus a LOT of other personal info.

Mothers maiden name!! Employment record. Email address. Phone numbers etc

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline
No matter what your SS number will be "out there" for who knows who to view. Plus a LOT of other personal info.

true...but lets say he sends a bank statement...it would be wise to black out your bank acct number and so on.

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

true...but lets say he sends a bank statement...it would be wise to black out your bank acct number and so on.

Why not? If something comes up they can ask for it. Never have heard of USCIS calling peoples banks!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Your bank account number is on every check you write. Redacting is fine.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

The biggest security threat is what you send your S.O. after NOA2. For a month she will have copies of your K1 application, employment letter, bank letter, tax returns, pictures, chat logs, phone calling logs and various bills. That's more consolidated information about you than anywhere else... :wacko:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
MSN saves chat logs as an .xml file. You can import that file into Excel. I did that got the format to look they way i wanted it and then changed the margins to get the max lines per page. After that do a "find" on specific words and delete the rows or just browse through and delete them.

Hopes this helps

Unless a chat log is clearly in its original format it isn't "evidence". Redacting is fine. Chat logs and transcripts need only be examples anyway and none are required with the petition. They can be saved for the interview.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Why not? If something comes up they can ask for it. Never have heard of USCIS calling peoples banks!

If they paid with a money order, like i did, theres no need for USCIS to ask for my bank acct number if i sent a bank statment but blacked out the bank acct number. Also if you sent CC statements, you dont have to show your cc number, its ok to black that out as well. As well as chat scripts...if there are things he doesnt wants read, he can black those out as well.

not to mention...USCIS isnt going to ask you for your bank account number if you didnt pay by check.

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

Timeline

Hopes this helps

Unless a chat log is clearly in its original format it isn't "evidence". Redacting is fine. Chat logs and transcripts need only be examples anyway and none are required with the petition. They can be saved for the interview.

Hmmmm that's an interesting thought. In my cleaned / optimized format i have 200 printed pages of chat logs. I'm wondering if that along with everything else just helps "cover the bases" during the interview process.

Thoughts?

Timeline

Hopes this helps

Hmmmm that's an interesting thought. In my cleaned / optimized format i have 200 printed pages of chat logs. I'm wondering if that along with everything else just helps "cover the bases" during the interview process.

Thoughts?

200 pages??? i for one am not one to judge on sending additional evidence as i sent one chat log and our lease with both ciggies from romania along with my hospital statement with both our siggies on it...but sending too much will only cause more for them to look at. its not going to hurt you in anyway tho. You will need to send that again tho for the interview process once approved.

Edited by Sinergy

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.