DeadPoolX

My apology to you all...

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I would like to render an apology to the Canadian Forum crowd.

I know I sometimes come across as someone without much sympathy to situations and espouse some extremely strong opinions. I do not, as some others have hypothesized, intend to start fights or act in a antagonistic manner. I think part of the reason I come off as a much harsher person online than off is due to the overall lack of vocal tone, facial expression and body posture. Regardless, I could probably choose my words a bit more carefully.

I do not hate Canada. Do I like the United States more? Yes and I'm not ashamed to admit it. The U.S. is my home country and for all of its problems, I really do love it. I am American through-and-through, just as many here wish to always remain Canadian, even if American citizenship is procured.

I moved to Canada for my wife. Most, if not all, of the people here did the same, only in reverse. I am positive that the majority in this forum would have been happy to live out the rest of their lives in Canada. The same is true for me and the United States. I sometimes feel that, no matter how long I stay in Canada, I will never truly feel at home. I can't help but think that many here have similar feelings about the United States.

Perhaps some of my issues with Canada have been due to unfortunate circumstances. I was rudely threatened by the CBSA officer in secondary when landing here (she expressively told me that if I didn't do exactly as she said, she'd call security and would deny my entrance into the country) and the Canadian government spelled my name wrong. To this day, they are convinced that they have my name correctly spelled even though I have both American and Canadian documentation that proves otherwise. In addition, I've experienced some negative situations with healthcare here, a freak snowfall in BC that hasn't occurred in decades, and I am without many of my belongings (such as my PC and car), all of which will be arriving soon.

None of the above means I regret my decision to move to Canada. If being together with my wife necessitates a sacrifice here and there, I am willing to do it. I'm sure many of you feel the same about your spouse and the move to the United States, as well.

Overall, I wish to impress upon those here that my intent was never to act rude or express inconsideration for the experiences of others. Regardless of my aggressive nature and the fact I can't promise I won't step on a few toes, I will try to remain civil and understanding while on here.

Filed: Timeline

Awww. That was so sweet of you, DeadPool. Thank you. And, trust me. We definitely know what you are going through, as well as being able to understand the attachment you have to your home country. It's like being torn away from family. It's nice that you'll be getting some of your things soon. That should help out somewhat.

Just want you to know that it does get easier, but it does take time. In fact, if I had to move from Florida to somewhere else, now, I'd feel the same as I do about Canada and England. I love my new friends here, as well as our area. Even if I still can't get some of my groceries. :lol:

... Canada sucks.

ok fine, just kidding :(

CanadaRocks.jpg

:P

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think you are becoming a CDN now having hung out in our fair land a while.. I think you have begun to apologize for apologizing :) tee hee...

I think the moral of this story is .. transition is hard.. no matter which country you go to.. I think it's especially difficult to move to the US or to Canada because you THINK things are going to be handled a certain way (the norm you are used to) and most times the "rules" are different.. which is shocking somehow cause our Nations are so similar in culture etc.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I think you are becoming a CDN now having hung out in our fair land a while.. I think you have begun to apologize for apologizing :) tee hee...

I think the moral of this story is .. transition is hard.. no matter which country you go to.. I think it's especially difficult to move to the US or to Canada because you THINK things are going to be handled a certain way (the norm you are used to) and most times the "rules" are different.. which is shocking somehow cause our Nations are so similar in culture etc.

That's absolutely true Em. I have lived in 2 other countries in my adult life and I think my expectation was that it would be different.

Here things kind of look the same on the surface (like a bank for instance! - or cereal) - but they are hugely different.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Thanks DeadPool - I do hope that things start to go better for you soon. Do remember to contact your Member of Parliaments office to get that name thing sorted out - it is what they are there to do, assist constituents with problems they have with any federal department or program. You shouldn't have to put up with a misspelled name, although I know it took me some convincing once to get Citizenship and Immigration to admit it - I had to send them official scholarly published evidence to verify the name order for a Vietnamese woman before they agreed they misspelled her name. It can be done, just persevere. Make your MP work for you - that is what he is there for.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

unless there are timbits involved, i'm not all that interested :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

hahaha...

Everyone has something to complain about. And don't take that the wrong way, it's just a statement. I'm sure there are people on here that have moved to the States because of their husband/wife & are thinking the same thing(s) about the US...the US has their own issues just like any other country.

I admire the patriotic attitude. I know darn well I'll hold Canada high inside myself when I leave it. I'll always remain Canadian (and not just because of papers) no matter where I live.

But on the same hand, I'll think greatly of the US(I do now) when I get there. It'll be my home. I can b***h & complain about stuff there, but in the end it was my choice to develop a relationship with an American & move my life there to be with him.

All in all though, this is a forum to talk with other people, who are in the same boat as each other. We share good news, share bad news, tell stories & most of all give opinions. Most people on here are good-hearted & I for 1 am grateful this site exists!

But, thanks for clearing it up DeadPoolX :P

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

Dido, Deadpool. I always appreciate your blunt opinions and comments, but it is nice to know how you feel and we do understand what you are going through.

You are always welcome here...just know that we could kick your ### if we want....because we have super canadian powers.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A bitchy sailor is a happy sailor, so maybe it could be said that an bitchy immigrant is a semi-content immigrant,lol. I'm sure some of us Canucks feel very much the way you do. I wil always consider myself Canadian even though I am now a USA citizen. people ask who I am, I state Canadian, just as you will most likely consider urself American./ Hope it gets better!! My brand new Team Canada hoody arrived in the mail today! Sweet

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi DeadpoolX,

Aww…that’s nice of you to want to apologize to the Canadian Forum crowd…

Personally though, I don’t think an apology is needed as I did not find your posts offensive. And if others don’t understand your viewpoints, then so be it. As long as you don’t violate the terms of service here on VJ, then you’re ok. I agree, online communication does not give the overall full picture of a person. However, I tend to think the opposite, whereby one’s visually seen words or lack of words do tell a lot about a person, and how they really think in a sort of neutral way without other distractions that can send mixed messages at times.

It’s ok to say that you like the United States more, especially more so that you’ve spent most of your life living here, and that you really do love it. It’s good of you though, that despite that patriotism, you made that sacrifice to move away and to be with your wife in Canada instead.

Yes, a lot of people here on VJ and in real life, have done the same in reverse, by feeling more patriotic to their former country than the country that they will move to. “Home is where the heart is”, really, and if one feel that one place is more home-like than another place, then that’s perfectly all right. Overall, as long as one is happy with the choice you made in terms of moving and immigrating to a new country, and are happy with the loved ones that you choose to live with for the rest of their lives, that’s all that matters in the end.

And yes, it’s good that you did not regret your decision in terms of moving to Canada, despite all the hardships you have faced with the Canadian immigration system and with your own Canadian immigration experiences. Sorry that you had to go through all that harassment, having to deal with your name being spelt wrong, the negatives with the Canadian healthcare system, a snowfall, and having to be without your belongings. Hopefully, things will get better for you soon, and that you will enjoy your new life in Canada with your wife.

For me, likewise, I’ve had to deal with similar issues that you have too, but in reverse, in terms of going through harassment with the USA immigration system here (lol..don’t even get me started on that one), having my name spelt and pronounced wrong (lol…this is on a constant informal basis, but I’m used to it), the negatives of the USA healthcare system here (lol…trying to get proper health insurance here is quite a challenge in the first place, and always being asked about health insurance is annoying), having to deal with the heavier snow here (lol…yes, I have a lot more snow here than I was where I was in Canada), having to go without my belongings when I first moved here on a visit (lol..and having to drive back many trips to pick it all up), and having to deal with other stressful life issues. Still, despite all those initial challenges, life has been pretty good here with my husband (and our soon-to-be Baby), and I’m happy to have made this choice to immigrate to the USA instead.

If I had to do it all over again, I would move here to the USA (or anywhere else in the world) in an instant, just to be with the ones that I love…I’m sure many people here on VJ too, would think the same way, right?

And yes, we all complain about the immigration hardships we all have to go through...so you're not alone there, in terms of feeling frustrated about the whole process of it all, regardless of country.....

As for being Canadian and American…hmm…that’s a tough one…In ways I consider myself as both, and have identified myself as both, having grown up in Canada in the past, and now growing up in ways in the USA in the present and in the future. I see the good and bad in both countries, yet both of these countries feel like “home” to me. Lol…the only problem is that I have is trying to convince others that I’m both Canadian and American, as I’m not your “typical” Canadian and/or American (lol…don’t get me started that one either).

If it makes you feel any better, I’ve been through the Canadian immigration system too (though as a young child). And yes, it was certainly quite the experience to immigrate to Canada, and I did encounter childhood immigration hardships along the way. As well, I’ve seen and heard other’s real-life Canadian immigration experiences, so I can understand the difficulties there too. So in that sense, I can directly understand your hardships in Canada too.

I would be interested in hearing about the rest of your Canadian immigration experiences, DeadpoolX. And yes, do keep posting about it here on VJ about Canada: the good, the bad, and the rest in between. And by the way, If you have any questions about the Canadian immigration process, feel free to ask here on VJ too, as I’m sure that a lot of people here can help about that too.

Lol..by the way, here are some funny things about Canadian immigration and naturalization, from what I remember: You will have to have lived in Canada for 4 years in order to apply for Canadian Citizenship., You will have to know about 50-100 Canadian history and culture questions for your Citizenship test (Eg. Who is your member of parliament, what is the capital of Canada, Queen Elizabeth rules the country, Lacrosse is the official sport of Canada (and no it’s not hockey), etc.), At your ceremony they will give you a Citizenship Certificate in both paper and in card form, and At your ceremony don’t be surprised if everyone sings O Canada in both English in French, Oh and then there’s that character in red coat…lol…(and no, it’s not Santa Claus)….Hope this helps too (or at least makes you laugh).

Humour aside, the bottom line: Don’t worry about stepping on anyone’s toes here on VJ. We’re glad that you’re civil and understanding too, and that’s always appreciated anywhere. And yes, you’re always welcomed here on the Canada Forum here on the VJ boards!

So welcome again, DeadpoolX! Apology accepted...:) (though again, no apology was needed in the first place…)

Ant (Both Canadian and American….as “that’s where my heart is”…)

P.S. The only thing you have to apologize for: Changing your VJ avator! What happened to Kermit? In my opinion, the frog was definitely way better than that odd-looking yellow animated creature that you have on there now!...lol...

I would like to render an apology to the Canadian Forum crowd.

I know I sometimes come across as someone without much sympathy to situations and espouse some extremely strong opinions. I do not, as some others have hypothesized, intend to start fights or act in a antagonistic manner. I think part of the reason I come off as a much harsher person online than off is due to the overall lack of vocal tone, facial expression and body posture. Regardless, I could probably choose my words a bit more carefully.

I do not hate Canada. Do I like the United States more? Yes and I'm not ashamed to admit it. The U.S. is my home country and for all of its problems, I really do love it. I am American through-and-through, just as many here wish to always remain Canadian, even if American citizenship is procured.

I moved to Canada for my wife. Most, if not all, of the people here did the same, only in reverse. I am positive that the majority in this forum would have been happy to live out the rest of their lives in Canada. The same is true for me and the United States. I sometimes feel that, no matter how long I stay in Canada, I will never truly feel at home. I can't help but think that many here have similar feelings about the United States.

Perhaps some of my issues with Canada have been due to unfortunate circumstances. I was rudely threatened by the CBSA officer in secondary when landing here (she expressively told me that if I didn't do exactly as she said, she'd call security and would deny my entrance into the country) and the Canadian government spelled my name wrong. To this day, they are convinced that they have my name correctly spelled even though I have both American and Canadian documentation that proves otherwise. In addition, I've experienced some negative situations with healthcare here, a freak snowfall in BC that hasn't occurred in decades, and I am without many of my belongings (such as my PC and car), all of which will be arriving soon.

None of the above means I regret my decision to move to Canada. If being together with my wife necessitates a sacrifice here and there, I am willing to do it. I'm sure many of you feel the same about your spouse and the move to the United States, as well.

Overall, I wish to impress upon those here that my intent was never to act rude or express inconsideration for the experiences of others. Regardless of my aggressive nature and the fact I can't promise I won't step on a few toes, I will try to remain civil and understanding while on here.

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It can be very difficult adjusting to a new way of life. I certainly have found differences good and bad in both Countries. I think Canadians are getting ripped off when it comes to the price of gas, food, telephone, and just about everything else. Starting my own business here in the US definitely has been very rewarding. I see everything as a trade off no matter where you live. Meeting the right person and having the right perspective and attitude gets you through the many ups and downs involved in the transition......

Dale

03-30-07 I-129F Mailed

04-09-07 NOA 1

07-27-07 Touched

07-28-07 Received NOA2 approval email

08-06-07 Received letter from NVC

08-20-07 Fiance received Packet 3

08-22-07 Packet 3 sent to Montreal

09-17-07 Emailed Montreal to confirm forms were received

09-18-07 Received email form Montreal with interview date - November 7!!!!

09-19-07 Medical

09-24-07 Received Packet 4

11-07-07 Interview- Approved!!

11-13-07 Received Visa

11-15-07 Dale missed flight to TN due to Customs! :0

11-16-07 Dale flys to TN (take two)

11-30-07 Received SSN

12-08-07 Married

12-23-07 Mailed AOS Package

01-05-08 NOA 1 for AOS

01-17-08 Obtained Tennessee Drivers License

01-18-08 Biometrics for AOS

01-22-08 Notice of AOS transfer to California Service Center

02-20-08 EAD Approved

03-10-08 AOS approved..Welcome to the USA letter received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.