SDARCY13

K1 suspended HELP ADVICE NEEDED

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So this is very disheartening I finally got to what I thought was the last hurdle in this part of the process (The interview) only to find my visa is suspended. Basically I worked at a summer camp for the summer and then adjusted my status (Through an attorney) to a visitor's visa for a year and left the states like I was supposed to. The guy at the embassy said that they need evidence that I got the adjustment of status but provided a website that I can use to prove this and said it shouldn't be an issue proving it. The second piece of information they said they need is proof I left the country when I was supposed to when the visitors visa expired. I remember the green slip you fill in when you get off the plane that they detach a portion from that they usually take off you when you leave was not taken...(Girl told me it would be taken at another point but never was). I never realised it at the time but suppose this is how they tell you left the country.

I have a number of concerns, why didn't they clear this up before the interview? Also I am not too concerned about proving adjustment of status but I am concerned about finding evidence I came home. They don't stamp your passport on return into the UK and I never started work again for a while so I am not sure the evidence I can provide will prove I was back home at the point I was supposed to be i.e. I may have returned home in May but may only be able to prove I was home in June. I asked the guy if once I get this info in would the visa be approved and I was told very unsympathetically he had seen a lot worse and there shouldn't be a problem but couldn't promise me anything. A this point I am just really concerned and am hoping someone can put my mind at ease that this isn't all falling apart. Also can anyone help me out on the evidence front as to ideas of what I can do to prove I did come home? Any comments/reassurance welcome I am really nervous the wedding is supposed to be in June.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
So this is very disheartening I finally got to what I thought was the last hurdle in this part of the process (The interview) only to find my visa is suspended. Basically I worked at a summer camp for the summer and then adjusted my status (Through an attorney) to a visitor's visa for a year and left the states like I was supposed to. The guy at the embassy said that they need evidence that I got the adjustment of status but provided a website that I can use to prove this and said it shouldn't be an issue proving it. The second piece of information they said they need is proof I left the country when I was supposed to when the visitors visa expired. I remember the green slip you fill in when you get off the plane that they detach a portion from that they usually take off you when you leave was not taken...(Girl told me it would be taken at another point but never was). I never realised it at the time but suppose this is how they tell you left the country.

I have a number of concerns, why didn't they clear this up before the interview? Also I am not too concerned about proving adjustment of status but I am concerned about finding evidence I came home. They don't stamp your passport on return into the UK and I never started work again for a while so I am not sure the evidence I can provide will prove I was back home at the point I was supposed to be i.e. I may have returned home in May but may only be able to prove I was home in June. I asked the guy if once I get this info in would the visa be approved and I was told very unsympathetically he had seen a lot worse and there shouldn't be a problem but couldn't promise me anything. A this point I am just really concerned and am hoping someone can put my mind at ease that this isn't all falling apart. Also can anyone help me out on the evidence front as to ideas of what I can do to prove I did come home? Any comments/reassurance welcome I am really nervous the wedding is supposed to be in June.

im sure someone will post that has better ideas than i do, but what about ur return ticket with the date and luggage stubs, as well as something from the air line showing yes u were on board the flight at that date and that time?

thats all i can think of good luck and i will add u to my prayers

sara

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Some of the frusterations of this process. You don't hear anything for a month or more, then you have to scrable to get information. Then wait some more. I feel for you. We're going through a similar set back.

I don't know exactly what they are asking for and I don't think they will give you explicit instructions on this. So what I have are suggestions. Remember, these need to have happened between the time of your return and when your travel visa expired. The closer you get to your return date the better.

Do you have credit card transactions that are from local stores?

I would think that having transactions that show you were present would work.

Were you employed?

Getting a signed letter from your employer stating start date on company letter head.

Recipt of travel.

Documents showing return travel, itenerary, plane tickets ( most airlines maintain these ), credit card transactions at airports.

Cancelled checks ( banks often keep these on records ) for rent or utilities

Did you have a land line or cell phone? Phone records while not always a guarantee might be enough to sway them.

It is a gray area and the better your proof the better your chances.

Good luck!

Edited by dbbri

Deep breath!

Relax!

Just find the supporting documents they requested and you should be fine! The suggestions above are a start.

You can always contact the airline you used, explain it to them, and they can provide info. Check your luggage for ticket tags, and look for your return stubs (see, there is a reason they write on them "keep for evidence of travel")

Not sure why it didn't show up prior to this, perhaps your G-325 info pegged something for the interviewer. (last addresses?)

Who knows what goes through their minds!

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm not sure I understand why you are asking us what might be needed to clear up your situation. Did you ask your CO what type of documentation they are looking for? I would suggest you email the consulate using your LND number as a reference if you are needing clarification.

I can tell you with a good deal of certainty what they are trying to figure out - why you were in the US beyond the duration of your original visa and for how many days you remained here.

I'm not sure how you changed your status without having proof in your passport of that change. Do you have documentation of that 'change'? If not can you get proof from the lawyer who assisted you?

How long ago did all this occur? I really have no idea how long airlines keep passenger lists, but it really is critical that you be able to prove pretty much exactly when you left the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I understand the UK didn't stamp your passport on arrival, but didn't the US stamp it upon departure?

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I understand the UK didn't stamp your passport on arrival, but didn't the US stamp it upon departure?

they don't stamp your passport when you leave, the airline will have a record of the flight though. if it was recently it is quite straight forward to get from the airline.

Timeline
Deep breath!

Relax!

Just find the supporting documents they requested and you should be fine! The suggestions above are a start.

You can always contact the airline you used, explain it to them, and they can provide info. Check your luggage for ticket tags, and look for your return stubs (see, there is a reason they write on them "keep for evidence of travel")

Not sure why it didn't show up prior to this, perhaps your G-325 info pegged something for the interviewer. (last addresses?)

Thanks for the speedy response. Do you think it would benefit if I got my parents to sign sworn statements of when I came home (they have asked proof I came home May 2005) along with bank statements letters from work/benefits and plane ticket?

Deep breath!

Relax!

Thanks for the speedy response. Do you think it would benefit if I got my parents to sign sworn statements of when I came home (they have asked proof I came home May 2005) along with bank statements letters from work/benefits and plane ticket?

That may work, but you should contact your CO and ask exactly what they would accept.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline
Deep breath!

Relax!

That may work, but you should contact your CO and ask exactly what they would accept.

Thanks again, the Guy who interviewed me basically said I need to prove I was in the UK in May HIS WORDS WERE "PROOF OF DEPARTURE FROM USA IN MAY 2005" AND "I-797 APPROVED CHANGE OF STATUS TO b-2 VISA"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.