Girona40

Cycling in the USA

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

The nearest gym to my house is at least an hour's drive. We live in a rural part of WV. The town has a population of only 250 people - although it is growing.

I used to work-out every day when I lived in England and since moving here have gained a few pounds....................okay 15. I thought it was time to do something, so I asked for a bicycle, for my birthday, which was yesterday. It is only 2 miles from my house to the local SevenEleven and Dollar Store, so I thought that my daughter and I could ride there and back - just to get us started. It's been a while.

We get about 1.5 miles down the road and some "lard #######" woman in her car slows down and shouts at my daughter "Get out of the fuc*ing road!!". Well, that's nice! My daughter was riding perfectly safely, she was tucked into the side of the road, and not causing a problem to anyone.

It was all the women that were honking their horns and driving past way too close, when there was plenty of room and it was a dead-straight country road. The guys in their trucks were very polite and slowed down, pulled to the other side of the road, as they passed.

What is the matter with these women? I really felt like making up a sign to put on my back saying something like "Get your fat ####### out of your car and onto a bike of your own!"

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i'm sorry that you experienced that!!! not all places are like that...

i say keep on cycling!!! and as for the sign... yep, sounds like a good idea to me!!!

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Those ladies sound like they were out of line.

But I must admit that I get extremely frustrated with cyclists that seem to think that the rules of the road don't apply to them. Running red lights when you have a green, so you almost hit them and then they yell at you. They seem to think that they always have the right of way because they're being environementally conscious or something.

But I'm sure you're nothing like them!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We Americans love our cars and for some of us, the thought of doing anything with our own two legs is abhorent.

I run and have experienced similar situations. From my discussions with other runners, most of us have. The most recent experience was on Wednesday. I always start my run going up the same street, and then branch out from there, and nearly every time, I run by the same two rather large women sitting on the stoop of their apartment building smoking. Well, on my way back home after a good 45 minute workout, I pass by them and the woman yells from her stoop, "hey, who the h*ll are you runnin from?" :huh:

I'll also get a "Run Forrest Run" occasionally. People, if you see a runner, don't say this. We've heard it a million times before, and after the million and first time, it just isn't funny anymore :no:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't get it either. I come from a very bike friendly city, Toronto, where we had bike lanes and paths all over the city. I move to the country and it's like they've never seen a bicycle before! Hubby and I have limited it to early weekend morning rides, when all the people that want to use us as target practice are still sleeping :)

Are you riding towards traffic?, I believe that is a bike 'rule'.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

I don't think this is an American thing, I used ot get shouted at by motorists all the time! (I am a very considerate, rules of the road abiding cyclist -- there are many cyclists that give us a bad name).

Though now I am in Los Angeles and I cycle to work (which is 4 miles from my house) -- my co-workers regard me as something of an eccentric aunt

90day.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If you want to make a statement, bumperstickers are a good way to go.

mcs127.gif

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I'll also get a "Run Forrest Run" occasionally. People, if you see a runner, don't say this. We've heard it a million times before, and after the million and first time, it just isn't funny anymore :no:

Sorry! I did that b4... Not that I scream out of my car, but always see ppl running and I automatically think: "Run Forrest, Run!!!" :lol:

Carol ;)

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

My wife and i honeymooned in Jekyll Island GA. It was so great. There were cars but not many and we rented bikes and cycled around which was so much fun. I love riding a bike but i don`t like riding around cars. It is o.k. if there are a few but when it is a busy road i simply would not be enjoying myself. Maybe i will be brave when i eventually move there. GA, or at least my little piece of it, doesn`t seem big on cycles or pedestrians which is not cool.

23rd February 2005 Married.

10th May 2005 I130 packet sent to TEXAS forwarded to Cali.

12th May 2005 NOA1 Received date.

14th May 2005 delivered at 4:34 am LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607.

23rd May 2005 NOA1 notice date.

27th May 2005 NOA1 hits the mailbox.

13th August 2005 po po form mailed off with £10 cheque.

2nd September 2005 po po letter arrives.

3rd September a 4 week visit to GA assuming i get allowed in.

30th september 130 days on I130 and counting.

(Hopefully i finally get a wedding ring today too)

30th November NOA2 date. woohoo

January 2006 case arrives at NVC finally(not sure about exact date)

17th February 2006 IV bill mailed back

21st April case complete (sorry i have missed some dates of forms going back and forth)

2nd May case forwarded to Embassy in London

10th July 2006 visa interview 10.30 a.m.

clyde80b.gifmeandnikki.gif

http://www.corona-baster.org

Timeline
I don't get it either. I come from a very bike friendly city, Toronto, where we had bike lanes and paths all over the city. I move to the country and it's like they've never seen a bicycle before! Hubby and I have limited it to early weekend morning rides, when all the people that want to use us as target practice are still sleeping :)

Are you riding towards traffic?, I believe that is a bike 'rule'.

No we are not riding towards the traffic. The Uniform Vehicle Code states "Cyclists riding their bicycles on the roadway, shoulder, or driveway are considered drivers of vehicles and must operate according to the laws for drivers of vehicles." This means they ride on the same side of the road a car would.

I have ridden a bicycle for 30+ years and follow the road rules - I haven't ever jumped a light or gone up on the sidewalk on a bicycle. One thing that really irks me when I am driving a car is when a cyclist rides up on the inside of your vehicle at traffic lights etc. It is so dangerous and something we were taught never to do when we took our Cycling Proficiency Test in England.

I just thought it would be a nice way to get some exercise and we got a real hard time from some people out there. Still, it won't stop us. We'll be out there tomorrow.

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

But I must admit that I get extremely frustrated with cyclists that seem to think that the rules of the road don't apply to them. Running red lights when you have a green, so you almost hit them and then they yell at you. They seem to think that they always have the right of way because they're being environementally conscious or something.

I agree totally. I am in a community that has bike paths everywhere but do they use them 'No'. It gets very aggravating. They may be out for a leisurely stroll but I am trying to get to work.

I don't have anything against cyclists. Just be polite and know the rules of the road. If there are bike paths for you to use, then use them!!!

Ok done ranting. :P

K-1 Process

---------------------------

April 20, 2006 - Filed I-129F (Ahhhhh finally!)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED!

September 28, 2006 - Interview!

September 29, 2006 - VISA in hand!

October 14, 2006 - WEDDING DATE!

AOS & EAD Process

----------------------------

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

December 27, 2006 - Filed AOS and EAD paperwork

January 3, 2006 - Receipt date of NOA1

January 11, 2007 - 'touched'

January 17, 2007 - transferred to CSC

January 19, 2007 - biometrics appointment

January 22, 2007 - 'touched'

January 23, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

January 24, 2007 - 'touched'

January 31, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

February 1, 2007 - GREEN CARD ORDERED!!!

February 5, 2007 - Received Welcome Letter

February 11, 2007 - received GREEN CARD!!

Lifting Conditions

----------------------------

December 31, 2008 - filed I-751

January 10, 2009 - received 1-year extension letter

January 28, 2009 - biometrics

February 13, 2009 - 10-year green card ordered

Timeline

I agree totally. I am in a community that has bike paths everywhere but do they use them 'No'. It gets very aggravating. They may be out for a leisurely stroll but I am trying to get to work.

I don't have anything against cyclists. Just be polite and know the rules of the road. If there are bike paths for you to use, then use them!!!

Ok done ranting. :P

I agree - if there are bike paths then they are the safest place for a cyclist to be. But the "know the rules of the road" thing works both ways. Drivers do not own the road and cyclists are legally to be considered "traffic" too. Just bear in mind that if a car hits you in your car there is a good chance you will survive - you hit a cyclist with a car and it's unlikely the cyclist will walk away.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
No we are not riding towards the traffic. The Uniform Vehicle Code states "Cyclists riding their bicycles on the roadway, shoulder, or driveway are considered drivers of vehicles and must operate according to the laws for drivers of vehicles." This means they ride on the same side of the road a car would.

Oops, I was thinking about walking, I remember a Public Service Announcement saying 'towards traffic' and confused them.

How about a really loud horn and a big wave and smile, that should catch them off guard.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277