trailmix

ADD - ADHD - hyperactive - have you encountered this with your children

ADD ADHD Hyperactivity  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Has your child's teacher or other school employee, ever indicated that they think your child is hyperactive or has ADD/ADHD? (you can choose more than one answer here)

• Yes and the child is a boy
    • No and the child is a boy
    • Yes and the child is a girl
    • No and the child is a girl
  2. 2. If you answered yes to question one - was it ever suggested that the child should be given drugs as treatment

• Yes
    • No
    • No, this was before children were routinely given drugs to correct this behaviour
    • I answered No to question 1

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So based on the comments in reply to Sprailenes experiences with her Son and his school and the pattern I see developing in replies, it just made me wonder how common it is for a teacher to state that a child has ADD/ADHD etc and needs treatment of some kind.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Teachers are soo careful in NJ. They won't say it, and they can't say it but they'll beat around the bush with terms and symptoms. In my last parent teacher interview I finally said it for her: "Oh like ADD?" and she look relieved and said: "Well... have you ever... you know... thought of it??"

They won't tell you to drug your child, but they'll mildly suggest getting him to see a doctor and perhaps a psychiatrist.. who we all know prescribes meds.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Could you maybe add another choice for whether your child was educated in the American vs the Canadian school system?

Krikey! can't add additional questions after the poll is created.

Teachers have no right to label a child that way and I would strongly resist any teacher who did. Children act up for a variety of reasons including but not limited to school being too easy for them and the teacher failing to provide an education appropriate to that child.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I said yes to both. My son is 7 in grade 2, an American in Canadian schooling. The teacher didn't "recommend" drugs, but said that she has seen kids either react really good or not at all.

When I took my son to our family physican he didn't feel my son has ADD/ADHD, that he was just bored in class, and I am trying to just ride my time out until we move in April. The doctor didn't even want to get him evaluated and we have just kind of left it at that.

This is the first teacher that has brought this up, and it was after school had been in session after summer vacation for just a month and we were out of town for 1 week of that time... I know he can be difficult at times, when he is lazy and just decides he doesnt want to do his work/homework.

The doctor said also that unless one of the biological parents has a history that it is highly unlikely for a child to have it.

We have also gotten notes asking if my son is on cold medicine because he seems in a daze and not paying attention and she can't get him to focus.

This has been very frustrating esp when he got his report card and had nothing but C's and D's from his reg teacher and A's and B's from his other teacher outside the "home-room" class.

Also this past Monday we got a call from his teacher and now she wants him tested for a sleeping disorder because he fell asleep according to her at his desk, he said never went to sleep. Once again I think he was bored, and probably a little tired after being off for 2 weeks on holidays and then having to get up early that morning...

Our Journey

6 June 2008- Mailed I130 to Toronto (DCF)

7 Nov 2008- I130 approved in Toronto!!

21 Nov 2008- Received Packet 3 from Montreal

4 Jan 2009- Mailed Packet back

9 Feb 2009- Medical in Toronto

24 Apr 2009- Interview in Montreal...Approved!!!

30 Apr 2009- Received Visa... few hours later crossed to border for the 6 day drive to Utah!!

6 Apr 2009- Arrived at our new HOME!!

13 May 2009- Welcome letter received

19 May 2009- Went to social security office and "applied" for SSN

22 May 2009- SS Card arrived in mail!! (I guess they did send in the paperwork at the interview...)

???????<<<<waiting for GC>>>>>>

Timeline
Could you maybe add another choice for whether your child was educated in the American vs the Canadian school system?

Krikey! can't add additional questions after the poll is created.

What kind of free society is this?!!! :protest:

post-21394-1231345914.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

not voted yet, would rather post the answers:

yes, daughter, yes. years after my divorce, i found out one doctor had prescribed lithium for my daughter - and she was 12 years old at the time. :blink:

the pda i had did not carry lithium as a prescription for children under 13 at the time.

my belief - this is a catch all/blame all conspiracy with many players so that:

- drug companies make money.

- doctors get more business and are probably in cahoots with the drug companies.

- schools get more funding for special needs children.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

In Utah teachers are not allowed to suggest any diagnoses or treatments...it's against the law because they are in a position of authority, but don't have the training to make those suggestions. They DO it of course...but they aren't supposed to and can get in BIG trouble for it. My mom adopted two children with disabilities from foster care and one of their teachers made the mistake of trying to bully my mom into getting the older one medicated for ADHD (when really...he's autistic and has absolutely no signs of ADHD). My mom made the teacher squirm by subtly insinuating that she did actually KNOW what teachers were and were NOT allowed to say...the teacher backed completely off. :)

In my experience (I used to work at a children's therapeutic center)...ADHD is a disorder just like every other psychological disorder...some children honestly have it and require medication, but it's much more rare than teachers would like you to believe. Of course...when I was a kid (I'm 27 now) if you failed a test it was YOUR fault, not the teacher's. But don't get me started on that. :)

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.

ROC

April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

the more letters they can put next to your childs name, the more money they will get from grants. most schools have child study teams now. and they like to take parents (especially single parents) into a small room with a big table. around that table sits about 6 or 8 people, (principle, nurse, school psycologist, special needs teacher, teachers aid, and other members from the child study team) that try to tell you whats best for your child. keep in mind if they do not fill the requirements for the amount of children they will not get the federal and state grants. and some will lose their rather well paying jobs. the truth is most kids will grow out of their social and attention problems (look at Michael Phelps). but the letters in front of their name may hurt them from getting into certain colleges. we as parents know are children best. and do whats best for them !!!

2008-03-03 : I-130 Sent

2008-03-03 : I-130 NOA1

2008-05-08 : Touched

2008-10-16 : Touched

2008-10-20 : Touched and Approved (NOA2)

2008-03-27 : I-129F Sent

2008-03-31 : I-129F NOA1

2008-04-24 : Touched

2008-10-03 : Touched

2008-10-05 : Touched

2008-10-06 : Touched

2008-10-20 : Touched and Approved (NOA2)

2008-10-22 : NVC Receive

2008-10-24 : NVC Left

2008-10-30 : USEM Receive

2008-11-10 : Wife's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-01 : Son's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-19 : USEM Interview - PASSED

2009-01-14 : VISA RECEIVED

2009-01-25 : US Entry (JFK)

Timeline

I have a few friends back in Canada that are teachers, and from the teachers that my kids have had I think the some of the problem is that some parents let their kids go wild some not all but you do get a few. Then you get the older teachers who have been teaching the same style of teaching they always used and then are told they cannot disapline in the class. Now this is what I noticed in Canada the schools my kids went too, not the ones here. So you get the wild child and the older teacher (some not all) don't know how to deal with the child so they start the labeling cause that is the only thing they know. Then you get the younger teacher (again not all) who is not set in their ways still loves the job and is able to figure out the child and all is good.

I also think its a problem to try and teach all kids the same and they do that unless you get the lucky teacher who switches things up a bit. Labeling kids makes the teachers job easier then they have a bunch of zombies to teach or all the excuses they need to explain how bad her class is failing.

BTW these are what my thoughts and experiences are.

the more letters they can put next to your childs name, the more money they will get from grants. most schools have child study teams now. and they like to take parents (especially single parents) into a small room with a big table. around that table sits about 6 or 8 people, (principle, nurse, school psycologist, special needs teacher, teachers aid, and other members from the child study team) that try to tell you whats best for your child. keep in mind if they do not fill the requirements for the amount of children they will not get the federal and state grants. and some will lose their rather well paying jobs. the truth is most kids will grow out of their social and attention problems (look at Michael Phelps). but the letters in front of their name may hurt them from getting into certain colleges. we as parents know are children best. and do whats best for them !!!

Well said

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
Then you get the younger teacher (again not all) who is not set in their ways still loves the job and is able to figure out the child and all is good.

My brother had 38 kids in his first class ever taught, back in 2005. 8 of those children had disabilities, including down syndrome. He wrote 8 different lesson plans a day for months, to try and teach different learning groups, until he physically and emotionally couldn't do it any more. It isn't as easy as "if teachers just taught children different methods, it would solve so many problems..." Imagine how incredibly difficult it must be to cater to an individual child's needs when you have almost 40 kids in a class.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.